PDA

View Full Version : what size for OS partition?

worldpease
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Im planning on formating my PC tonight,
but for the first, I would like to make two partitions, one for OS and programs,
and the other one for my files, downloads and stuff.
But I would like to know what is the recomendes size for the software partition?
I was thinking 10 Gigs would be fine, but now Im not so shure, I mean, Corel is like 3G, Office 2G, and you never know what you'll want to install later.
Do you think 20 Gigs is ok?

lynx
07-27-2006, 11:54 PM
My primary partition is 20GB. Last time I looked I had about 11GB free.

I got rid of the MS Office crap and installed OpenOffice instead. My free space is now 14GB.

FreeDoom
07-27-2006, 11:56 PM
20GB should be fine for progs, games (if you play), swap file...
I installed OS, some games and progs = 11GB+-

tesco
07-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I have just 7.8gigs for XP which works fine. All I install there is XP, office, other small programs, and my swap file.
Games and everythinng else is in my other partition.

clocker
07-28-2006, 12:19 AM
My C: drive is 4GB. There is 2.5GB free.
I only have a few apps in it's Program Files, most everything has been installed into E: Program Files (D: is a page file, both D and E are on a separate hard drive).

Formula1
07-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah... i dont know why i made a 35.5GB partion, i have 23.2GB of free space. I pretty much put program files (including large ones like adobe photoshop, downloads from browser(firefox) and thats it. I put games on other patitions.. so i guess 15-20GB at most should be the ideal size of the partition, unless you plan on installing games on it, then you can make it higher.

I think I'll start putting games on my C drive since i only install 2-3 games at once, and could make up space on my other partition. I have 448GB formatted btw. I also have a 40Gb partition when Windows vista comes along.

suprafreak6
07-28-2006, 02:55 AM
lol at least you made a partition, im an idiot and didnt make any...

Virtualbody1234
07-28-2006, 04:37 AM
lol at least you made a partition, im an idiot and didnt make any...

I'm sure you have at least one.

My C: partition is 30GB.

fifth_horseman
07-28-2006, 08:53 AM
When you're using XP, 15-20 GB is just fine.

Other systems won't need as much, ie for W98SE a 2 GB partition is really more then needed.

lynx
07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
lol at least you made a partition, im an idiot and didnt make any...Use partition magic.

First of all work out how much space is occupied by the data you want to move to a new partition.

Shrink your existing partition to a couple of GB more than the minimum.
◄C▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬► Before
◄C▬▬▬▬▬►--------------- After

Create a new partition at the end of the drive to hold this data temporarily. Now reboot into windows and move the data across to the temporary partition
◄C▬▬▬▬▬►--------------- Before
◄C▬▬▬▬▬►-----◄T▬▬► After

Use partition magic again, and shrink your C partition again, then create another new partition occupying the remaining space. Boot into windows again and move the data from the temporary partition to the new partition.
◄C▬▬▬▬▬►-----◄T▬▬► Before
◄C►◄D▬▬▬▬►◄T▬▬► After

Use partition magic again, delete the temporary partition (which should now be empty), and increase the size of the final partition to occupy the space just freed up.
◄C►◄D▬▬▬▬►◄T▬▬► Before
◄C►◄D▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬► After

If you don't have space to do it all in one go, you can still do it but it is a little more complicated, and probably easier if you copy some of your data onto DVD.

suprafreak6
07-28-2006, 03:10 PM
thanks lynx will give it a whirl, i can probably just transfer my music and movies to my xbox's harddrive i think it was a 40gig at least that will hold like 25% of my music and all my movies...

and yeah i do have one partition (the whole harddrive worth of space) :LOL:

worldpease
07-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Use partition magic.
Hey man, actually I tried that program (not the one from Norton),
but it didn't let me do anything, it said 'error with drive leter' or something like that.

lynx
07-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Use partition magic.
Hey man, actually I tried that program (not the one from Norton),
but it didn't let me do anything, it said 'error with drive leter' or something like that.You obviously don't know the "magic" password. :shifty:

suprafreak6
07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
i dont get it...

clocker
07-28-2006, 09:37 PM
i dont get it...
It's humor.
No one expected you to get it.

suprafreak6
07-29-2006, 12:55 AM
i dont get it...
It's humor.
No one expected you to get it.

someones having their period...:happy:
What did i do to you?:angry:

suprafreak6
07-29-2006, 06:54 PM
i made 2 partitions works great!

clocker
07-30-2006, 01:07 PM
i made 2 partitions works great!
Congratulations.
Did you use Partition Magic?

Seedler
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
My c: is 15GB, and it's 7.8gigs free right now.

So 10gigs should be enough, but go for 15 or 20GB just in case.

ilw
07-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I only have a few apps in it's Program Files, most everything has been installed into E: Program Files (D: is a page file, both D and E are on a separate hard drive).

I'm kinda curious as to why you put program files on a different drive, surely if you reformat c: you'll have to format e: too? Or is it for speed reasons, and if so does it actually make any difference?

Virtualbody1234
07-30-2006, 03:50 PM

I'm kinda curious as to why you put program files on a different drive, surely if you reformat c: you'll have to format e: too? Or is it for speed reasons, and if so does it actually make any difference?

It's for speed in his case. clocker is using a 4GB iRAM drive.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/card.jpg

clocker
07-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Program Files is set to default to E: Program Files in my nLite installation disk.
This was absolutely necessary due to the very small size of my C: drive (Gigabyte i-RAM w/4GB installed). Only programs that load at startup (in my case, RegProt and MBM5) and a few "daily use" programs (i.e. Firefox) run from C;/Program Files- everything else goes to E:.

I have to be quite careful what goes into my C: drive.
I found this out the hard way- Bootvis for example, creates giant logfiles which filled my C drive past capacity and froze the system.

I'm trying to implement a backup strategy that will not require complete reformats/reinstallation of all the Program Files but that goes poorly so far.
I'm about to try another attempt at Ghosting my C: drive, wish me luck.

Virtualbody1234
07-30-2006, 06:48 PM
... wish me luck.

Good luck! :D

clocker
07-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks.

I've chickened out twice already today.