PDA

View Full Version : crash a dell with a cellphone (video)

lee551
07-29-2006, 07:40 PM
http://www.rickardliljeberg.com/blog.php?itemID=153

Chris here at work just found this cool bug on all our Dell Optiplex GX520. It was so cool in fact that we decided to capture a video and post it online.

The bug appears when you put your mobile phone close to the cd-rom unit of the dell and then recieve a sms/txt.

What happends is it goes into some sort of suspension mode from which you can't bring it back without breaking power or holding down the power button for four seconds.

It worked with all the new dells here in the office and with any mobile phone. Just make sure to save all of your work before you try it at home.

The only remaining question is: Is it a bug or feature?

from digg (http://digg.com/tech_news/Biggest_and_weirdest_computer_hack_crash_a_PC_with_a_cell_phone_video)

Smith
07-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Why would it be a feature?

lynx
07-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Nothing new there.

I can remember a service engineer coming to perform preventative maintainance on a server. He was standing right next to the server when he recieved a call on his mobile - and the server died.

It took three engineers a week to diagnose the fault! Turned out there was a small circuit board at the front of the box, which controlled the front panel led display and the power-on circuit. It was the only part not inside an EMI resistant cage.

FreeDoom
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Cool vídeo, it demonstrates what radiations can do.
I wonder what type of problems will appear in humans after 30 or 40 years from now due to this, wi-fi, etc...

suprafreak6
07-30-2006, 02:37 AM
yeah thats cool, but why that specific dell? whats the reasoning behind it?

tesco
07-30-2006, 03:45 AM
yeah thats cool, but why that specific dell? whats the reasoning behind it?I think it's just something in that specific computer, if you had te same whatever-it-is in another computer the same thing would probly happen.:)

suprafreak6
07-30-2006, 12:47 PM
yeah thats cool, but why that specific dell? whats the reasoning behind it?I think it's just something in that specific computer, if you had te same whatever-it-is in another computer the same thing would probly happen.:)

exactly...but what is it? lol

lee551
07-30-2006, 06:46 PM
it's probably something along the lines of what what caused the server lynx was talking about to shut down.

Darth Sushi
07-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Geez, I usually wear my cell on my belt. I wonder if my winky dinky is affected? :blink:

muchspl3
07-30-2006, 11:41 PM
thats old

kiko187
07-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Geez, I usually wear my cell on my belt. I wonder if my winky dinky is affected? :blink:

it definetly gives me an excuse I have been dreaming for after a nights drinking and a woman calls me up to take me to her home and my "Harddrive" has crashed!!! Its because of the texts she sent earlier!!!

Bless you for this article, and I spit on the uroligist that gave me the reason that I have been drinking too musch alcohol.

cpt_azad
08-01-2006, 09:47 AM

Probably, notice any shutdowns as of late :lol:?

xdgen84
08-02-2006, 02:12 AM
interesting...i like it!

silent h3ro
08-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Why would it be a feature?I think that was a joke.

Cool video.

uknowhowwwed
08-13-2006, 04:38 PM
very funny
too bad it doesnt wrk on new dells

Tempestv
08-14-2006, 06:09 AM
I think there are some of that model of dell in one of the computer labs on campus I'll have to try it out. I wonder how far the cell phone has to be inorder for it to work?