PDA

View Full Version : RAM Issue

Zequabie
08-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Hi, I'm having a little problem with ram I bought. I had bought a PC2100 1GB 266MHz DDR Ram 184-pin Un-buffered, I have a ECS P4VMM2 P4 SKt 478 Motherboard (yea I know shitty) it is what is lol. But anyway before I got the new stick of ram I had (and still do) a PC2100 samsung 256MB in my system. Now the problem I'm havin is my system (bios) is telling me I only have 768MB of ram, When I really 1280MB in my system. It's been like this since I got it (about a month or two ago).

virtualogue
08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Have you tried removing the 256MB stick? Often memory modules of different brands, specs or sizes don't work well together.

Zequabie
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Yea I had done that. I also tried switching slots (between it and the samsung) when I got it.

truetejas
08-02-2006, 06:14 AM
When you pull the 256 stick out of the box how much memory shows up? You might be better off just leaving the 256 stick out.

lynx
08-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Is the 256MB stick single sided, and the 1GB stick double sided by any chance? That combination is often the cause of these problems. If it shows 1GB with just that stick in, of course.

Of course, it is possible that the new stick simply got mislabelled and that you've been given a 512MB stick by mistake. It sometimes happens at the factory and no-one finds out until someone puts a stick into a machine.

Seedler
08-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Is the 256MB stick single sided, and the 1GB stick double sided by any chance? That combination is often the cause of these problems. If it shows 1GB with just that stick in, of course.

Of course, it is possible that the new stick simply got mislabelled and that you've been given a 512MB stick by mistake. It sometimes happens at the factory and no-one finds out until someone puts a stick into a machine.

Pft...sure it sometimes happens by "accident"...:dry:

lynx
08-02-2006, 11:12 PM

Pft...sure it sometimes happens by "accident"...:dry:
Think about it.

The people who are sticking the labels on probably can't tell the difference (I can't without looking them up on the manufacturer's website), so if someone accidentally picks up the wrong roll of labels then a lot of sticks get sold incorrectly. It's no big deal, they are easily traced and apart from the inconvenience no-one should lose out.

Zequabie
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
When you pull the 256 stick out of the box how much memory shows up? You might be better off just leaving the 256 stick out.It shows 512MB when The 1GB mem-stick is in by itself.

The Samsung (256MB) one I have is double sided, and the other non-official (1GB) one is single sided.

Part of The stick and the label said 4x256 on the 1GB Mem-stick.

lynx
08-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Let us know what it says on one of the chips, and the number of chips. It should be possible to work out exactly what you've got from that info.

adamp2p
08-04-2006, 06:00 AM
What's up lynx? Haven't posted here in ages, just saying what's up.

truetejas
08-04-2006, 06:02 AM
It shows 512MB when The 1GB mem-stick is in by itself.

The Samsung (256MB) one I have is double sided, and the other non-official (1GB) one is single sided.

Just a guess, but it looks like you computer takes DDRAM (like the Samsung stick) and your 1Gb stick is just DRAM. There is no way the 1Gb would show up as 512 if it was the correct memory.

Zequabie
08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
My Fault, I put DRR in the first post for the 1GB stick but what I really meant to put was DDR.

clocker
08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Just a guess, but it looks like you computer takes DDRAM (like the Samsung stick) and your 1Gb stick is just DRAM. There is no way the 1Gb would show up as 512 if it was the correct memory.

My Fault, I put DRR in the first post for the 1GB stick but what I really meant to put was DDR.
This thread is spiraling into incoherence.

Hey! My first "multiquote"...what a great feature.
Thanks, Ross.

uknowhowwwed
08-13-2006, 04:37 PM
try taking out the ram and putting it back in pushing hard