PDA

View Full Version : Changing hard drive letters, help please

digmen1
08-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Hi Guys

I now have 3 hard drives in my machine. C D and E.

I want to swap them around.

Is it easy to go into Windows XP Disk Maintenance and change the drive letters, will I have to make one F so that I can make another D etc ?

regards

Digby
NZ

Darth Sushi
08-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Hi Guys

I now have 3 hard drives in my machine. C D and E.

I want to swap them around.

Is it easy to go into Windows XP Disk Maintenance and change the drive letters, will I have to make one F so that I can make another D etc ?

regards

Digby
NZ
Yes, you can only change a drive letter to one that is not taken...so changing the current D drive to F is required to make D available.

Appzalien
08-04-2006, 12:20 PM
If I were you I wouldn't change the C drive, C is reserved (as the first drive) for the OS. You can load the OS to a different drive but once its on C I'd leave its letter alone.

digmen1
08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that guys, and the advise on C drive is well taken.

Regards

Digby

clocker
08-04-2006, 08:55 PM
If I were you I wouldn't change the C drive, C is reserved (as the first drive) for the OS.
It's not really "reserved" per se although it is the default install option for Windows.
Some folks advocate putting Windows on a different drive (say, D: for instance) as a security measure- the theory being that most malware is targeted at the C: drive.
I have no idea if this strategy is effective or not.

BTW, you cannot change the drive letter of your Windows installation.
If you want to swap C: to D: you have to wipe and reload (assuming Windows is on C:).