PDA

View Full Version : Freedom, The Gateway To Sin

Zequabie
08-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm not religious, nor do I believe in god. But I do believe in the so called Gods-laws, for the most part. I think as a species, we as humans tend to do things that work in our favor whether it be right or wrong. Condeming one act and allowing the next, even though there both one in the same.

There is a limitation on freedom do to laws, so no one is free to do what they want completely. when we start knocking out laws and flipping there meanings (like must people do) we gain another bit of freedom but we sink deeper into the pit of sin.

How are we suppose to better this corrupt world, if we can't accept the fact that somethings we allow (as a whole) in our day-to-day lifes is wrong.

Barbarossa
08-03-2006, 09:15 AM
If you're sinking deeper into your pit of sin, then all I can suggest is that you get it resprung.

That's all I have to say on the matter :)

Zequabie
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
I was speaking in general.

MagicNakor
08-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure what God-laws are..?

:shuriken:

vidcc
08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
which god?

Rat Faced
08-03-2006, 11:18 PM
And if we can agree on a "God", which sect of the relevant religion are we taking the translation of those Laws from?

And which background, culturally speaking, would we be framing those Laws?

j2k4
08-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Why should a bunch of non-believers feel any compulsion whatsoever to discuss the question?

Need to give your religious intolerance a work-out?

Here's a better idea:

Why not hie thee to the M.E. and spread that particular word-you are assured of success (owing to the inherent infallibility of your stance and it's overwhelmingly reasonable appeal); this will in turn end any and every conflict there.

Why hasn't anyone else thought of this?

I'll pick up my Nobel prize on the next go 'round, if that's okay...

MagicNakor
08-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Did you just call RF and I non-believers? Or is Jesus Christ, the Son of God the only option available to us? :huh:

sArA
08-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Non believer in the corporate religion called Christianity perhaps?

j2k4
08-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Did you just call RF and I non-believers? Or is Jesus Christ, the Son of God the only option available to us? :huh:

No, certainly not, MN.

Name your poison.

Busyman™
08-06-2006, 12:18 AM

Do you all believe in God or a god? If not, you're a non-believer.

I am a believer. I believe God always was versus something inanimate always was.

As far as the topic, freedom can be the gateway to certain sins. However, that onus is on the person sinning.

There can be a law against premarital sex or the freedom to fuck before marriage without legal consequence.

thewizeard
08-06-2006, 04:55 AM

No, certainly not, MN.

Name your poison.

Opium it must be opium..ask Karl. oh no that was religion... erm start again...

So the moral would be, if you wish to change the world, start by changing yourself..and your views...

Freedom in the end is a very relative understanding, ask my wife and her mother; or yours.

MagicNakor
08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
So if one is polytheastic they classified as non-believers? :huh:

My own personal beliefs are rather lengthy to describe, and I doubt anyone is really interested in hearing about it (though ultimately I end up being monotheastic). ;) Suffice to say that I'm comfortable with my beliefs and don't require validation for them, though if someone really wants to know, they're free to ask.

Mr JP Fugley
08-06-2006, 05:53 PM

My own personal beliefs are rather lengthy to describe, and I doubt anyone is really interested in hearing about it (though ultimately I end up being monotheastic). ;) Suffice to say that I'm comfortable with my beliefs and don't require validation for them, though if someone really wants to know, they're free to ask.

I'm interested in them, genuinely. However if you could explain without using words like polytheastic it would be much better.

j2k4
08-06-2006, 06:12 PM

I'm interested in them, genuinely. However if you could explain without using words like polytheastic it would be much better.

What JP said, though I won't bitch about the words you choose, MN. :)

Busyman™
08-06-2006, 06:57 PM

What the hell is polytheastic?:blink:

As I said before, I classify a non-believer as a person who doesn't believe in god.

Mr JP Fugley
08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
He meant polytheistic, but it would be churlish to point it out.

MagicNakor
08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, in my defense, I was pished. :P

Busyman
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, in my defense, I was pished. :P

I was being faseteous anyway.

JPaul
08-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Well, in my defensce, I was pished. :P

Phixed.

j2k4
08-07-2006, 07:36 PM

If you say so...

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 11:33 PM

If you say so...

You just quoted me. DUH. :1eye:

j2k4
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
DUH.

Guess I quoted you again...

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 11:51 PM
DUH.

Guess I quoted you again...

I don't need to guess. DUH. :1eye:

Everose
08-08-2006, 03:26 AM
What are your beliefs, MagicNakor?

j2k4
08-08-2006, 09:31 AM
What are your beliefs, MagicNakor?

We may have to wait 'til he's pished again to find that out. :huh:

MagicNakor
08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, actually, I was rather pished when I posted that I was pished to begin with. :P

Except today I've got to run out and do some shopping and some legal-document-copying, so I can't appear to be a derelict.

***time passes, apparently I didn't post this before I left. Now I'm moderatedly...let's go with relaxed***

As I said, it's rather difficult to really sum up without sounding trite. I've always been fascinated with history, even when I was a little kid, and a god with a jackal-head or a god that rides in a chariot with fire-horses is pretty cool to a kid. My family always encouraged reading, so I always had books on different things, and my parents had some very cool National Geographic books (as well as an archive going back to 1962 when my mum first started subscribing).

Now, I was raised as an Anglican; we went to Sunday School for a number of years, went to church fairly frequently though my mum isn't much of a church-goer now (mostly holidays). However, I was already about seven when we moved and actually started doing that, and since I'd already read (or been read to) about several different religions, I didn't really think that one way was the "right" way. As I grew older, I researched more into those particular topics that would help give me a deeper understanding: history (with a focus on the history of peoples), comparative religion, and comparative civilizations.

So, while that is rather irrelevant, it's how the whole thing began. ;)

I found that if one pares down most major religions, there are quite a few striking similarities. This is most obvious between Judiasm, Islam, and Christianity, as those religions developed in the same region at the same time. However, similarities exist between religions throughout place and time, even in their stories.

Unfortunately, the best (and closest) description I've used before is paraphrased from a fantasy authour, but I suppose that's why he gets the mega-buck contracts. ;)

Imagine a many-facted diamond to represent the divine. Imagine that diamond is so large that everyone can only see one facet, and no one really knows it's a diamond because it's so large, but they know it's something special. What one person sees is different from what another person sees, but if several people are looking at the same general area, they would have a similiar image of the diamond. Someone looking at the bottom would have a much different view than someone looking at the side or the top.

So that's the best way I have of explaining it. ;) Everyone's trying to comprehend the divine, but no one has the entire view, so we cope with those unknowns differently.

I'm not sure if you wanted specific examples, like what happens when we die?

j2k4
08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Interesting.

I have that view, but had not the analogy, which is...appropriate, I guess, considering what we see and hear on the topic.

I tend to look for the commonalities as well; whatever coat we wear as individuals, it is the shared qualities that allow us tolerance, however begrudging or beneficient.

Have a few more relaxers, MN...:)

Busyman™
08-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Well, actually, I was rather pished when I posted that I was pished to begin with. :P

Except today I've got to run out and do some shopping and some legal-document-copying, so I can't appear to be a derelict.

***time passes, apparently I didn't post this before I left. Now I'm moderatedly...let's go with relaxed***

As I said, it's rather difficult to really sum up without sounding trite. I've always been fascinated with history, even when I was a little kid, and a god with a jackal-head or a god that rides in a chariot with fire-horses is pretty cool to a kid. My family always encouraged reading, so I always had books on different things, and my parents had some very cool National Geographic books (as well as an archive going back to 1962 when my mum first started subscribing).

Now, I was raised as an Anglican; we went to Sunday School for a number of years, went to church fairly frequently though my mum isn't much of a church-goer now (mostly holidays). However, I was already about seven when we moved and actually started doing that, and since I'd already read (or been read to) about several different religions, I didn't really think that one way was the "right" way. As I grew older, I researched more into those particular topics that would help give me a deeper understanding: history (with a focus on the history of peoples), comparative religion, and comparative civilizations.

I found that if one pares down most major religions, there are quite a few striking similarities. This is most obvious between Judiasm, Islam, and Christianity, as those religions developed in the same region at the same time. However, similarities exist between religions throughout place and time, even in their stories.

Unfortunately, the best (and closest) description I've used before is paraphrased from a fantasy authour, but I suppose that's why he gets the mega-buck contracts. ;)

Imagine a many-facted diamond to represent the divine. Imagine that diamond is so large that everyone can only see one facet, and no one really knows it's a diamond because it's so large, but they know it's something special. What one person sees is different from what another person sees, but if several people are looking at the same general area, they would have a similiar image of the diamond. Someone looking at the bottom would have a much different view than someone looking at the side or the top.

So that's the best way I have of explaining it. ;) Everyone's trying to comprehend the divine, but no one has the entire view, so we cope with those unknowns differently.

That was a good read. Me and you have gone through similar "thoughts" while growing up....and I'm not referring to your gay ones.:P

MagicNakor
08-08-2006, 11:53 PM
:O

Everose
08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
MagicNakor, I liked what you said. Your background runs parallel with mine regarding the books except where you were heavy into National Geographics, I read every science fiction book my small town library could obtain.:D

I would like more specifics, such as what happens when we die. :D From my experience I know only what happens right before you think you are going to die, having been in a few serious car wrecks. :lol: I have experienced twice now this 'extremely at peace and accepting and almost eager feeling' in that situation.

Have you read 'Memories of God and Creation' (Remembering from the Subconscious Mind) by Shakuntala Modi, M.D ?

You mentioned your interest in history, and I am interested in the history and knowledge our subconscious minds contain.........I believe it contains far more than our own conscious existance.

I liked the diamond bit. Thanks for sharing that.

Chip Monk
08-09-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks for that.

Thing is, in your diamond metaphor I see a cut diamond, not one as found in nature. I think it's the word "facet" that gave me that image. I think a crystal may work better, as they have naturally occuring facets.

Am I being overly prosaic here?

j2k4
08-09-2006, 10:45 PM

Thanks for that.

Thing is, in your diamond metaphor I see a cut diamond, not one as found in nature. I think it's the word "facet" that gave me that image. I think a crystal may work better, as they have naturally occuring facets.

Am I being overly prosaic here?

Yes, but you can redeem the situation by finding the proper crystal for presentation here; hie thee to the nearest cave, and get to work.

Better figure out how many facets you'd need; feel free to lop off some of the loopy fringe 'religions', like, um, Scientology. :)