PDA

View Full Version : DVD+R vs. DVD-R

Elvenmunky
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Just wondering which is better for my money
Thanx

T0TAL-RECALL
08-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Which ever works best in your DVD/XBox/PS2...

There is no real difference... Just get the one you feel works best with your hardware software combination and what your going to be using it in.

I really dont mind either one since all my systems can read both with out any problems.

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

FreeDoom
08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Either one would be good. When you burn, go to bitsetting and choose DVD-ROM, this way the media would be compatible with all dvd players.

Virtualbody1234
08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Just wondering which is better for my money
Thanx

It depends on which is lower priced where you are.

zapjb
08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I've been advised the - are higher in compatibility. As far as hardware other than a PC.

And that + is higher in measureable performance.

Seedler
08-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I've been advised the - are higher in compatibility. As far as hardware other than a PC.

And that + is higher in measureable performance.

Source?

Measureable performance?:wacko:

O rly?

FreeDoom
08-04-2006, 02:15 AM
DVD+R (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+R)

There are a number of significant technical differences between the dash and plus formats, although most consumers would not notice the difference. One example is the ADIP system of tracking and speed control being less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. Also DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. Additional session linking methods are quite a bit more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer coasters (damaged or unusable discs that are useful only for putting under beverages) due to buffer under-run and multi-session disks with fewer PI/PO errors.

I use +R and just found this interesting thought didn't find some tests that proove what is said, yet.

Seedler
08-04-2006, 02:22 AM
M'kay, I'll switch to dvd+r's right after I finish the 80+DVD-r i still have:P

truetejas
08-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Also, your burner can have a recording speed difference between the 2 formats. Two of my drives advertise a faster burning speed for the - format.

muchspl3
08-04-2006, 07:27 AM
I like +

it better the a minus, but they are the same so what ever is cheaper