PDA

View Full Version : Uk based isp 8mb MAX?

Creomortis
08-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Since i mainly use newsgroups i thought i would ask here. Im really getting sick of freedom2surf as they keep throttling my connection to 600kbs. Can anyone make a reccomendation for a uk isp which has 8mb+, low ping, uncapped, and has NO traffic shaping? Or could you guys just tell me what you use and your experience :)

mikeco
08-04-2006, 12:07 AM
NTL or blue younder

both give 10mb i think and priced around £35.

or if u got sky tv then u could get sky broadband for cheap :P (16mb £10 month)

4play
08-04-2006, 12:12 AM
whats the ntl usenet server like is the retention or completion crap?

mikeco
08-04-2006, 12:15 AM
no idea, im on gay BT. :P

stay away from BT btw.

4play
08-04-2006, 12:17 AM
I havent used bt for ages since they kicked me for using too much bandwidth. they still like to send me the join btbroadband letter though.

mikeco
08-04-2006, 01:38 AM
I havent used bt for ages since they kicked me for using too much bandwidth. they still like to send me the join btbroadband letter though.

:lol:!

r they allowed to kick u for to much useage if ur still in the 12month contract?

:shifty: might do 300gbs in a month or something and see if they get annoyed :lol:

tesco
08-04-2006, 02:16 AM

r they allowed to kick u for to much useage if ur still in the 12month contract?

:shifty: might do 300gbs in a month or something and see if they get annoyed :lol:I think they'd still charge the cancellation fee though.:P

Chewie
08-04-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm on Tesco's cheapest unimited plan and their news service is supplied by NTL.
Completion is very good and retention is about 4 or 5 days which is often long enough to get what you want if you keep an eye out.
They carry about 50,000 groups which includes a lot of (but obviously not all) binary groups.

j0hn
08-04-2006, 07:36 AM
im currently with demon, its unlimited and unshaped atm, but not for long.
with their free upgrade to maxdsl (8mb) they are introducing a fair usage policy with a peak time cap. it will remain unthrottled/unshaped though.

their free usenet news service is rubbish. it lists the binaries, but wont actually let me download. constantly gives me the error "article not found" when trying to download.

if its adsl u want, go for this: http://broadband.nildram.net/products/broadband2/

if its cable, go with blueyonder, or be.

UsenetGuy
08-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Uh j0hn be is not cable :P Its ADSL.

Anyway im with NTL 1 meg (cable). All their broadband speeds are completely unlimited and no throttling etc. Blueyonder is completely unlimited too.

4play
08-04-2006, 11:53 AM

:shifty: might do 300gbs in a month or something and see if they get annoyed :lol:I think they'd still charge the cancellation fee though.:P

Nope they will just cancell the contract. They are a useless bunch of twats though. they gave me a month to switch providers and a migration code. the same evening i swapped to zeninternet (http://www.zeninternet.co.uk/) but bt cocked it all up and cancelled my broadband straight away and made me pay a £50 activation fee.:angry:

so i now use zen which has 7 day binary retention, 2mb uncapped.

gamer4eva
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Blueyonder is the best. But bethere.co.uk have like 24mb broadband. The trick is that not all BT lines can support past 8mb. Check http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php and type in your postcode and telephone number and see what your max speed is. Mine is currently 4.5mb therefore i cannot even use the 8mb bullldog and i will only get 4.5mb max. Thats why i got blueyonder. The lines are compatible with high speeds.

@Creomortis
If your speed has always been throttled to 600kb/s then this means thats the max speed your BT line can handle.

j0hn
08-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Uh j0hn be is not cable :P Its ADSL.
ur right, and wrong.

ur right, its not cable.
ur wrong though, its not adsl.
its adsl2+, using llu technology, and isnt available to most ppl.

90% of cable users (mainly big cities or well built up areas) can get llu through their phone line. thats why i referred to it as cable, even though its not.

Creomortis
08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
tempted to go with sky but i dont like the 12month contract as i like to cancel whenever i like. Probably going to give AOL a try tho

Wizard_Mon1
08-15-2006, 09:27 AM
I would go for Bethere they offer 24mb for £25 i think and as far as i know they are uncapped and unlimited. I'm with bulldog and getting 1.2mbps with adsl2 not sure that the offer it anymore though. The max speed you get is mostly to do with your proximity to the exchange, the closer yo0u are the faster it is :) I think the lines can handle quite alot it could also be your router that is the problem when i changed from the bulldog supllied router to a different more powerful one i went from 400-750kbps on 8meg.

morefewdollars
08-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately cant get anything above 2mb where i live, they say they are are upgrading though

4play
08-15-2006, 09:33 AM
last time i checked be was capped at 500GB. I would be very impressed if someone could actually exceed that cap.