PDA

View Full Version : What Type Of Home Do You Live In?

Busyman™
08-06-2006, 04:02 AM
What it your humble abode and please state your city and country.

edit: Efficiency apartment are also called studio apartments. It is basically one room that basically has everything (kitchen, bedroom, livingroom, etc.)...very ubiquitous in New York City and some can be quite big.

tesco
08-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Detached.

Ontario, Canada.

Guyver
08-06-2006, 07:50 AM
i live in a big fucking house, detached?

Sask, Canada.

HCT
08-06-2006, 07:55 AM
charlotte, North Carolina

Dark Steno
08-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Detached.

Selangor, Malaysia.

JPaul
08-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Purely out of academic interest, what's an efficiency apartment?

MagicNakor
08-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I was going to ask that too.

:shuriken:

JPaul
08-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Maybe it's American for wee.

Rip The Jacker
08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I live in an apartment...

What's an Efficiency Apartment anyway?

JPaul
08-06-2006, 08:38 AM
:lol:

GepperRankins
08-06-2006, 08:43 AM
i reckon he means a shite flat where the sink is next to your bed

JPaul
08-06-2006, 08:46 AM
i reckon he means a shite flat where the sink is next to your bed

In my opinion he is refering to a very poor apartment, which is so small that the bedroom and kitchen are in effect one.

Rip The Jacker
08-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh ok.

Yeah I live in a regular two bedroom two bathroom apartment. I think it's pretty nice, but can be shit compared to other fancy homes.

F. Canard
08-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Where's the option for caravan?

RPerry
08-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Detached Home, after years of not having people jump on my ceiling, or tell me to turn down my stereo, I wouldn't have it any other way

F. Canard
08-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but the people yelling, "Burn, you fucking pikey!" is a bit of a compromise.

MagicNakor
08-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Kind of a cross between an apartment and a townhouse. Smaller than a townhouse and with private entraces for all, but there are four to a building.

I'm in British Columbia. :P

Busyman™
08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Kind of a cross between an apartment and a townhouse. Smaller than a townhouse and with private entraces for all, but there are four to a building.

Yeah we have that around here as well. It'll have an upstairs but the one building would have multiple tenants.

I'd call that a condo. I've seen 2-floor condos many times.

MagicNakor
08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
All I know is that the neighbour downstairs is a bitch. :x

peat moss
08-06-2006, 07:37 PM

I'm thinking a bachelor suite , you know where the bed folds down from the wall . :D Hey what a great idea tho , company coming over ? Throw those dirty dishes and clothes on the bed hit a switch and Bobs your uncle .

Lilmiss
08-06-2006, 07:44 PM
fairies are taking over my flat.

peat moss
08-06-2006, 07:49 PM
fairies are taking over my flat.

Really , who Gerald Fitspatrick and Patrick Fitsgerald ? :whistling

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 01:16 AM

I'm thinking a bachelor suite , you know where the bed folds down from the wall . :D Hey what a great idea tho , company coming over ? Throw those dirty dishes and clothes on the bed hit a switch and Bobs your uncle .

:blink:

Barbarossa
08-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Detached house. West Sussex, UK.

Spider_dude
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
mansion embra
hoose spain.

CrabGirl
08-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Efficiency apt = Bedsit yes?

I live in a nice flat with Cheese. Except when I've been naughty and he makes me live in the bin-shed.

Busyman
08-07-2006, 05:05 PM
No (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1410881&postcount=1)

manker
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1410881&postcount=1)
Fixed.

Chip Monk
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Would very ubiquitous be a tautology.

manker
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
In Busy's defense, he usually always copies other people's words without properly understanding the meaning behind them. He's trying to fit in.

With that in mind, I think you should have let him off.

peat moss
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM

:blink:

Oh its easy its what the ex wife leaves you with after a nasty divorce , no money to get a better place so you rent a bachelor suite .

Then she complains that you live in a shit hole ,that's not good enought for the little ones . Right beside a nice park tho and quite liked myself .

Everose
08-07-2006, 06:14 PM
I live in a home that is unattached from other homes, but attached to a foundation. I think. I have never actually checked on this.
It is only an assumption on my part. ;)

Chewie
08-07-2006, 07:23 PM
What it your humble abode and please state your city and country.

edit: Efficiency apartment are also called studio apartments. It is basically one room that basically has everything (kitchen, bedroom, livingroom, etc.)...very ubiquitous in New York City and some can be quite big.
In the UK, apartments are known as 'flats'. I live in a one-bedroomed purpose built flat (as opposed to flat in a converted house) in South London, UK.

From what I gathered during my abode-hunting...
A bedsit is a bedroom/living room with an integral kitchen area but the bathroom is in an area shared with other tenants of the building. Normally this is in a converted house.
A studio flat is similar but has its own bathroom and may have a separate kitchen.

Oh ok.

Yeah I live in a regular two bedroom two bathroom apartment. I think it's pretty nice, but can be shit compared to other fancy homes.
Having a bathroom for each bedroom in a flat would not be considered 'regular' in the UK. :noes:

That's what we'd call a maisonette.

JPaul
08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Yes. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1410881&postcount=1)
Fixed.

:lol::earl:

JPaul
08-07-2006, 07:40 PM
In Busy's defense, he usually always copies other people's words without properly understanding the meaning behind them. He's trying to fit in.

Don't use the spelling "defense" evar again.

j2k4
08-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I live in a home that is unattached from other homes, but attached to a foundation. I think. I have never actually checked on this.

Check, please.

Yonder comes a twister, lass. :O

Oh, and BTW, detached.

JPaul
08-07-2006, 07:58 PM

Check, please.

Oh, and BTW, detached.

I think that was taken as being read, Sir.

j2k4
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Check, please.

Oh, and BTW, detached.

I think that was taken as being read, Sir.

'Twas a bit of an inside/outside joke, actually.

She lives in Tornado Alley, truth.

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 11:19 PM

But, but, but...a bedsit is not an efficiency apartment. :huh:

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
In the UK, apartments are known as 'flats'. I live in a one-bedroomed purpose built flat (as opposed to flat in a converted house) in South London, UK.

From what I gathered during my abode-hunting...
A bedsit is a bedroom/living room with an integral kitchen area but the bathroom is in an area shared with other tenants of the building. Normally this is in a converted house.
A studio flat is similar but has its own bathroom and may have a separate kitchen.

Yeah I've heard of an apartment called a flat many times before.

Bedsits are not efficiency apartments in the least. Efficiency apartements are more like hotel rooms with a kitchen and stove. Nothing is shared with other tenants.

sArA
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Here, town houses are often 2 or 3 bedroomed houses connected in a row 0f 3 or more in a 'terrace'. We also have rather a lot of semi-detached houses like mine, which are just 2 houses together.

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Here, town houses are often 2 or 3 bedroomed houses connected in a row 0f 3 or more in a 'terrace'. We also have rather a lot of semi-detached houses like mine, which are just 2 houses together.

I've always hated the use of semi-detached. It's attached to another home or it isn't. However, typically townhouses are rather tall while semi-detached homes aren't.

We have all types of different attachments. In DC, we call them rowhouses. Same deal though.

Semi-detached

http://www.homesonsale.co.uk/files/36860_4.jpg

Rowhouse (DC)

http://static.flickr.com/54/151741368_2fda74b3ec.jpg?v=0

Townhouse

http://www.progressiveurban.com/stlukes/images/STL%20Townhouse%20exterior%20photo.jpg

j2k4
08-07-2006, 11:43 PM

I've always hated the use of semi-detached. It's attached to another home or it isn't.

We have all types of different attachments. In DC, we call them rowhouses. Same deal though.

I believe the term is (mis-)used to differentiate between domiciles sharing any common access or space (semi-detached), versus merely sharing a wall (detached).

It would seem a more descriptive nomenclature could be invented.

Mr JP Fugley
08-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Rowhouses is a tad prosaic, don't you think.

Busyman™
08-07-2006, 11:46 PM
I've always hated the use of semi-detached. It's attached to another home or it isn't.

I believe the term is (mis-)used to differentiate between domiciles sharing any common access or space (semi-detached), versus merely sharing a wall (detached).

True dat. A townhouse can be semi-detached.

sArA
08-07-2006, 11:48 PM
A detached house does not share a wall, otherwise it is surely attached and therefore not de-tached.

Mr JP Fugley
08-07-2006, 11:48 PM

Sharing a wall is not detached. A detached house is one which is totally self contained and shares nothing with any other house.

Mr JP Fugley
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Jinx

sArA
08-07-2006, 11:50 PM
:lol:

j2k4
08-08-2006, 12:34 AM

Sharing a wall is not detached. A detached house is one which is totally self contained and shares nothing with any other house.

Yes, quite right; I forgot to re-catagorize and move my defs over one notch.

You understand. :)

I really should not post while juggling. :whistling

Everose
08-08-2006, 03:11 AM
I checked. I am firmly attached to being detached. Thanks J2 for the 'heads up.' :P

Barbarossa
08-08-2006, 08:52 AM
What about link-detached? :blink:

Worst poll ever :no:

j2k4
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
I checked. I am firmly attached to being detached. Thanks J2 for the 'heads up.' :P

A relief.

j2k4
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Yes, it's highly senseless-able.

Whatever that means...

accat13
08-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Yes, it's highly senseless-able.

Whatever that means...
Yes I use to live in a lnked-detached..I think they payed the worlds cheapest brick layer to lay a row of bricks below ground to join the foundations...You could stand between the two houses and touch them :)
Now I'm in a town house beside Rossco :D well the same province anyhow...

Gemby!
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Condominium

haha

donk3y
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
apartment