PDA

View Full Version : bin vs iso

nolan57
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
whats the differnce between a bin file and an iso :stars:

erRor67
08-08-2006, 09:15 PM
To the average user, nothing.. They are both images of CDs (or DVDs). You burn these files with a burning program (like Nero) or mount them on a virtual drive (like Daemon Tools). With bin files, you need a second file called a Cue. If you have a bin but no cue, Daemon Tools can mount bins that have no cues.

gamer4eva
08-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Although if you dont have a cue file it can be made by editing another cue file and changing some stuff.

limesqueezer
08-08-2006, 11:46 PM
BIN is much better for me and NO, u don't need a .CUE file to mount in daemon tools or burn, u just select *.* files.
I think that in 90% of time when i download some BIN file i don't get the CUE, basicly i stay away from CUE cause for me its just more files which i don't like
I always had more errors with ISO files, seems like ISO files are faked more than BIN. There are more ISO files in past and less in future as i figured. And probably BIN would be a better choice for RARing down the files. Well there are some recently not soo rare cases of wierd users that make out of 2 gb BIN file a 2 gb exact amount of 100+ RAR files, lol noobs. Than i ask myself whats the point in doing it since if u lost 1 RAR file u can't extract it. But than again use your flavor or ask yourself CUE vs SVF. ;D

Broken
08-09-2006, 05:42 AM
A bin contains all the information from the original source plus information on how the information was layed out on the source.

An iso contains all the information from the source, but no information about how they were layed out on the source.

A bin creates a more exact to the original copy, and is larger than the iso counterpart or the original because of the placement information. Because the iso is the information only it would be the exact same size has the original.

I.E.
source = 700mb
iso = 700mb (files will be unordered)
bin = 800mb (differnce in size being information about the order the files were in on the source. When burned the image will be 700mbs with files in the same order as source.)

4play
08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
A bin contains all the information from the original source plus information on how the information was layed out on the source.

An iso contains all the information from the source, but no information about how they were layed out on the source.

A bin creates a more exact to the original copy, and is larger than the iso counterpart or the original because of the placement information. Because the iso is the information only it would be the exact same size has the original.

I.E.
source = 700mb
iso = 700mb (files will be unordered)
bin = 800mb (differnce in size being information about the order the files were in on the source. When burned the image will be 700mbs with files in the same order as source.)

always wondered why when you burn a 800mb bin it will fit on a cd.

nolan57
08-09-2006, 08:11 PM
:D id like to thank everyone for replying to my question although i dont know why the forum said i got an infraction for it iv certainly seen people poast atlot worse and i was even cautious to post my real question ''will bin files mount with dameon tools'' but im greatful for the help boys so let me ask you if a bin file will burn with alcahol 120% thats what i use to burn my iso images everytime i try to use nero it wont burn the image to a disk just my desktop or whatever directory i specify

Virtualbody1234
08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
:D id like to thank everyone for replying to my question although i dont know why the forum said i got an infraction for it iv certainly seen people poast atlot worse and i was even cautious to post my real question ''will bin files mount with dameon tools'' but im greatful for the help boys so let me ask you if a bin file will burn with alcahol 120% thats what i use to burn my iso images everytime i try to use nero it wont burn the image to a disk just my desktop or whatever directory i specify

Use ImgBurn to burn image files: http://www.imgburn.com/

nolan57
08-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Although if you dont have a cue file it can be made by editing another cue file and changing some stuff.

ty if u dont mind could u tell me how to modify an existing cue file to corrospond with another

Virtualbody1234
08-09-2006, 11:25 PM

ty if u dont mind could u tell me how to modify an existing cue file to corrospond with another

Open the CUE file with notepad.

Peerzy
08-10-2006, 08:44 PM
BIN only works for CD. You cannot get a DVD Bin file. All DVD's should be .ISO or .IMG.

Appzalien
08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I've made my own cue's a few times. If its a game, get a game cue you already have and open it with note pad and change the part in the [] to the name of the bin file of the game you need it for, then save as a text file so you don't overwrite the original. Move it to the bin you need it for and change the extention from .txt to .cue and most of the time it will work.

Bonzai11
08-12-2006, 03:06 PM
I use .iso alot and they usually work but i mostly use .bin because thats what everyone has thx for info now i know dont use .iso

Appzalien
08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Its ok to use iso if you already have the bin/cue to save some from. the cue has information in it about the files and there relationships and positions and if you have a good bin/cue and right click the cue "open with" Ultraiso, Ultraiso will read the cue information and create the proper iso from the bin/cue. This is really helpful if you want to add fixes and updates to a game image. I've done this many times with no problems, games install and play fine with a nocd fix.