PDA

View Full Version : First Blu-ray drive for PCs won’t play Blu-ray movies

Darth Sushi
08-13-2006, 09:20 PM
http://www.cnet.com.au/i/r/2006/desktops/news/blu-ray.jpgThe first Blu-ray (BD) disc drive for desktop PCs is here, but be warned -- it won't play commercial BD movies. :frusty:

Author: Asher Moses, CNET.com.au | Date: 11 August 2006

Sony officially announced its BWU-100A product at its "Experience More 2006" event in Sydney yesterday, all the while acknowledging that there's significant room for improvement before the product is viable for integration into media centre PCs.

Vincent Bautista, Sony's product manager for data storage, told CNET.com.au that due to copy protection issues and lagging software development, the drive will only play user-recorded high-definition content from a digital camcorder, and not commercial movies released under the BD format.

Bautista says that one of two reasons for this is the fact that commercial content is encrypted with High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), which can only be decrypted using a HDCP-compliant graphics card that offers DVI or HDMI connections. Since there are currently no PCs for sale offering graphics chips that support HDCP, this isn't yet possible.

The second reason, according to Bautista, is that BD playback software that can decrypt HDCP isn't "released as a saleable item yet". Today, the only HDCP-supporting BD playback application is the OEM version of Intervideo WinDVD BD that's bundled with Sony's VAIO VGN-AR18GP notebook. The AR18GP also offers an HDCP-compliant HDMI connector, which makes it capable of playing commercial movies without issue.

Bautista is optimistic that both issues will be resolved "soon", and says that despite not being able to play commercial content, the drive is still useful as a "storage device", particularly for those looking to create and distribute their own high-definition home movies on BD-R and BD-RE discs.

The Sony BWU100A has a write speed of 2x and will be available this month for AU$1399.

:source: Source: http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners/0,39029405,40091720,00.htm

tesco
08-13-2006, 09:41 PM
:lol: That's funny, $1400 and it won't play blu-ray movies?
Will it atleast work once the right software and vid cards are out?

dml
08-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Brilliant! *Round of applause* Eventhough it's always cool to have the newest stuff, I think it's better to wait a couple of months till BR-drives are completely integrated into the market and then purchase the most suitable for your needs.

Busyman™
08-14-2006, 04:07 AM
:lol: That's funny, $1400 and it won't play blu-ray movies?
Will it atleast work once the right software and vid cards are out?

Today, the only HDCP-supporting BD playback application is the OEM version of Intervideo WinDVD BD that's bundled with Sony's VAIO VGN-AR18GP notebook. The AR18GP also offers an HDCP-compliant HDMI connector, which makes it capable of playing commercial movies without issue.

Sure

software + HDCP = it'll work

The hindrance is actually not the hardware itself but what the software in the movies are looking for for it to work.

It's a similar with issue with BD-players for the TV but that's just HDCP.

Busyman™
08-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Brilliant! *Round of applause* Eventhough it's always cool to have the newest stuff, I think it's better to wait a couple of months till BR-drives are completely integrated into the market and then purchase the most suitable for your needs.

I won't even bother until the drives are at 8x. I won't play the "drive speed game" again.

Buy a 2x then a 4x then 8x then a 16x and also keep upgrading the media.

Fuck that.:ermm:

tesco
08-14-2006, 04:58 AM

I won't even bother until the drives are at 8x. I won't play the "drive speed game" again.

Fuck that.:ermm::P I just got my first dvd burner 8 months ago, now blu-rays out.

Busyman™
08-14-2006, 06:40 AM

Fuck that.:ermm::P I just got my first dvd burner 8 months ago, now blu-rays out.

:lol:

:unsure:

It'll be about 2 years 'till you get a BD burner. Probably the same for me too.

dml
08-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Haha unlucky rossco, but as busy said it'll be at least a couple of years till decent BD burners appear into the market. Busyman I agree, why would anyvbody buy a 2x ? I guess if you've got the money, but still i'm waiting till 16x.

Virtualbody1234
08-14-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know what the fastest will be for Blu-ray but check out this 4X:

http://www.lge.com/download/product/G/GBW-H10N/GBW-H10N_large04_lge.jpghttp://www.lge.com/download/product/G/GBW-H10N/GBW-H10N_large_LG01.jpg

http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/GBW-H10N.jhtml

WarIsPeace
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
hoo ray for DRM

GepperRankins
08-14-2006, 03:20 PM
so ummm. the only way for us to watch HD movies on our PCs using blu-ray, will be to download the decrypted versions from newsgroups and BT. nice move sony :pinch:

matt526
08-15-2006, 05:01 PM
This is unbelievably stupid and ignorant on the part of Sony and the movie industry.
Once again the movie industry is shooting it’s self in the ASS

FreeDoom
08-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Another problem due to AACS...:rolleyes: another nail in BD's coffin :bag: