PDA

View Full Version : Someone trying to Hack me?

darkmatter
08-15-2006, 10:16 PM
I've had Zone Alarm for a couple of months now and it's just been running in the background really. Today I was just playing around with it and saw

87844 intrusions have been blocked since install [number increases every 20 seconds], 59 of those highly rated.

I download alot but what's going on:unsure:

harrycary
08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
It's not unusual to be "pinged" on a regular basis. Some are legitimate(your ISP for example) and others more nefarious.

Nothing to worry about though, Zone Alarm is just doing its job. Don't waste your time trying to figure it out at this point.

lynx
08-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Firewall software isn't really designed to cope with p2p, so 80000+ isn't unusual. Even the 59 highly rated ones aren't a problem since ZA picked them up

The only ones you should be concerned about are the ones it didn't stop. :dry:

limesqueezer
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, there are always some that it doesn't stop, but for that u won't get a message :P

Delorean
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I have ZApro for about 6 months now, i have 1576997 intrusions and more than 100 high rated. My pc runs smooth, no interuptions etc.

That 80000 is going to increase for sure. Its good that ZA picks them.

limesqueezer
08-16-2006, 01:20 PM
ZoneAlarm is better than most of firewalls out there

fester32
08-16-2006, 07:53 PM
My pc is behind a hardware firewall & router and since I formatted & reinstalled xp about a month ago i've had 33867 intrusions - 8 high rated.
Before the format I had about 350,000 intrusions over nearly 2 years.
Like mentioned above most of these 'intrusions' come through p2p traffic or it could have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the net. This is called "Internet background noise".
Nothing at all to worry about m8. Zonealarm consistantly outperforms most other firewalls in tests.
The only problem I have with za is the anti-virus which I find rather poor.
Personally I use a hardware firewall and use za just as a second line of defence, coupled with Nod32 antivirus, spybot & windows defender.
Since using this combination I haven't had one single virus/worm/trojan or any other piece of mallicious software.

Seedler
08-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I've never used a firewall in my life, not even windows firewall.

But I reinstall windows every month so that might be it.

Naw jk, but really, I don't use a firewall and my PC's been running smoothly for a year now w/o problems.:cool:

darkmatter
08-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I havent reformated in like 3 years. If i was to put all my files into a couple of dvd rw's, and REFORMAT my hard disk would that stop the attacks? My computers been running really slow for a couple of days now, I knew I should have used peerguardian:angry:

Am I panicking for no reason? Should I reformat?

Virtualbody1234
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I've never used a firewall in my life, not even windows firewall.

But I reinstall windows every month so that might be it.

Naw jk, but really, I don't use a firewall and my PC's been running smoothly for a year now w/o problems.:cool:

It must me nice to live with such oblivion...

Not knowing if someone is hacking you or if some software company is watching you use their product. :blink:

fileme
08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Outpost firewall works great with torrent software.
you can even enable rawsocets for a specific program

harrycary
08-17-2006, 03:16 AM
It's doubtful any of you are being "attacked."

What ZA is detecting is mostly network "noise." As I've stated before, most of it is normal and completely harmless.

(btw, "intrusion" is the wrong term to be used as your PC hasn't been broken into, but merely probed)

The home user mostly doesn't have to worry about being hacked. True hackers won't bother with home PCs and/or networks. There is nothing to be had. Businesses are more bountiful.

Lastly, you're more likely to be compromised by nefarious software(e.g. trojans, virus, rootkits, etc.) which is than used to spam others, essentially turning your PC into a zombie.

Don't download unknown software(especially executables), or open unknown email attachments.

Frankly, I find it amazingly self-centered for anyone to think, "whoa, my PC is being hacked!"

Enough already.

gjdunga
08-19-2006, 02:05 AM
http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm

Go Listen to some of these pod casts, and you can find out yourself... ;)