PDA

View Full Version : restore disc

pookie
08-18-2006, 01:21 AM
im tring to see if anyone can help me . my problem is that i have a legit restore disc that i got with my computer a year or so ago, but when i go to restore it to the factory settings it formats it, then installs it and when it gets to what should be the end it just freezes and doesnt do anything else. i have even left it on over night to see if it would finish but it just stays the same.i think its an corruted file because there is not one Scratch on the disc. i want to see if you guys know of a program or something to fix these disc, and be able to copy them to another disc with the key and everything like it is soppose to be. THANKS IN ADVANCE

zapjb
08-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Your explanation begs the question. Did you remove the disc, then reboot either normally or hard reboot?

peat moss
08-18-2006, 04:33 AM
What other problems did you have with your setup pookie ? Did it just crash or you had a malware problem etc . I'm guessing its a proprietary system such as Dell or a Compaq.

harrycary
08-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm guessing your PC is 1-2 years or older. (newer off-the-shelf PCs will come with the "restore" disc located on a separate partition of your hard drive)

That being said, you may have a failing hard drive or faulty CD-Rom.

Trying a different optical drive is simple[and cheap] enough.

my .02¢

clocker
08-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Trying a different optical drive is simple[and cheap] enough.

my .02¢
Don't forget the cable while you're in there.

Your PC should have the MS sticker on it w/ the 25 digit PID anyway.
As long as you use your (valid) key you can use any (full, not another machine's "restore disk") version of XP Home(?) you want.
Prepare for a phone call to MS for the activation.

Edit: You can also get another copy of the restore disk from the manufacturer.

pookie
08-19-2006, 12:21 AM
no ,i was not having any other problems i just wanted to do a fresh install. also after it would not complete i mess around and completly formatted the hard drive then i had to find someone with boot disc so that i could install an OS on the computer. when i got the OS on the computer i tried the restore disc again
and it did the same thing. i have left it on ,i have hard booted with and with out the cd rom in the drive ,and also i have tried it in diffent drives. now i have OS xp pro but im tired of looking for cracks and patches when i have legit copy right here that been collecting dust for couple of months

pookie
08-19-2006, 12:32 AM
when i use the key on the computer it will not take it. my dads is the same way his key did not work he called ms about it and they said he could buy another key, but he ended up calling hp and they sent him some restore disc because he was still under warranty. i bought mind from tiger direct and i dont have warranty . oh and he cant find his restore disc so i cant use his

pookie
08-19-2006, 12:43 AM
clocker, i think i use the update version of xp when i tried the key, the one that you need to already have an os on the computer . the same goes for my dad he used the same update version of xp with his key and it did not work. could this be the reason why the keys did not work

zapjb
08-19-2006, 01:02 AM
You mean upgrade. And mixing XP pro OS with XP home keys & vice versa won't work. Otherwise I'm having trouble with the explanation of your problem & description of how you're trying to solve it.

gjdunga
08-19-2006, 01:18 AM
The other issue may be that if you've installed hardware in the system since you purchased it, the restore software may be looking for that "pattern" of hardware to prove that your system is valid for that image of software.. I'd wipe the drive. Remove all partitions, and remove any additional hardware you had in the system.. And try your restore attempt again.. If it fails again, contact the MFG and find out why thier Restore CD sucks bitter walnut shells.

Chewie
08-19-2006, 03:21 AM
clocker, i think i use the update version of xp when i tried the key, the one that you need to already have an os on the computer . the same goes for my dad he used the same update version of xp with his key and it did not work. could this be the reason why the keys did not work
I don't recall M$ producing an upgrade version of XP; AFAIR the full version does upgrades too.
If the computer came with a restore disc, chances are that the key is for an OEM version of XP Home and I would imagine you're trying to install a full version. This won't work - I found that out the hard way :lol:
If this is the case, get an OEM version (9-in-1 warez releases abound) and install using the PID on the sticker.

harrycary
08-19-2006, 03:51 AM
when i got the OS on the computer i tried the restore disc again

huh?

Why would you even need the restore disc if you've installed an O/S?

There is more to this story then you've written.

Do you have a copy of Windows XP(not a restore disc)?

Did you install that copy?

The product key that came with your PC can only be used with the restore CD that came with it. Consequently, you cannot use a stand-alone O/S key with a restore disc. If you call Microsoft and try to activate a stand-alone O/S install with your OEM product key, they will refer you to the manufacturer of your PC. (the OEM may or may not send you a new restore disc)

You cannot format/erase your hard drive and expect to use the restore disc to install your O/S. It doesn't work that way. The restore disc is not the same as a stand-alone version of Windows.

If you have truly formatted your HD, your only option is to install a stand-alone version of Windows. (you've probably erased the custom Master Boot Record that OEMs usually have)

Your restore disc is now a coaster.

Either way, you've got to be a bit more clear about your situation for any one of us to give some help.

pookie
08-19-2006, 06:35 AM
I just looked over what I wrote and I'm sorry that I'm being unclear, I'm really not as young and confused as I sound. There really is not more to the story other than that I finally had a legal copy of windows XP, now I'm back to using warez. Yes, I do have a copy windows XP home edition (that says "upgrade" on it) also Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Corp, and I also have the OEM restore discs that came with the computer. I do understand that I can't use a OEM restore disc as a boot disc, That's not what I was tring to do. This problem happen a while ago, I'm using Windows XP Pro now and I put the restore disc up. I was just thinking about reformating again, But I wanted to see if I could get my restore disc working first. I did see two ideals that might work. First thing I will try will be to put the original hardware back in then retry the restore disc like "gjdunga" said. Next, I will follow "Chewie UK" advise and find a Emachine's OEM version of XP Home Edition so that I can try to use the product key on the back of the computer. Chewie UK, Could you tell me how to tell what's what, Or should it be in the title. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS

Chewie
08-19-2006, 09:25 AM
A warez or ripped XP disc with OEM in the release name is what you're after.
There are many XP 9-in-1 discs (aka 'multiboot') around which would have both Home and Pro OEM and Full together with Corp.
The best place to get it would be newsgroups as it's always being posted in some group or other.

If you're running XP Pro now, you'll need to backup all your files and settings (try the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' in XP) before installing Home OEM.
I don't think you can just install OEM over Pro. Certainly I tried putting Pro over Home a few years ago and found it created new <directory name>.1 root folders instead of using the ones already there.

gjdunga
08-19-2006, 10:33 AM
There also is a "Warez" Trick where you can change the setup.inf file to change the version of the os you want to run to use the key you have.. I'll suggest you look for that option yourself.

zapjb
08-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I'll refer op to my post about a Toshiba Satellite A45-S120 laptop.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1416536#post1416536
The OS was messed up. This worked on it. YMMV

Fixed it. Here's how.

1. Darik's Boot Nuke - nuked the HDD
2. Acronis Disk Director Suite - formatted ntfs active partition
3. Installed XP corp SP2
4. Inatalled TOSHIBA recovery & applications/drivers dvd

Back to original purchase state.

Weird part was after TOSHIBA recovery & applications/drivers dvd. That restored it to XP home SP1 needing validation.

*** See the TOSHIBA recovery disc needed to SEE a XP install. Any XP install to do its job. Otherwise the TOSHIBA recovery disc would be a FULL XP OS that I could install on other computers. Imo the whole of XP is on the recovery disc but its locked.

pookie
08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm LEGAL again. Just wanted to THANK YOU all, Especially you Chewie UK for telling me about the OEM version of Windows. Oh, I tried the Restore Disc again by replacing all the original hardware, But it still hung at the Name My Computer part of the install . But it really doesn't matter i'm LEGEL again. THANK YOU

Chewie
08-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Happy to help and glad you're all sorted.