PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups

ilw
05-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm connecting through my uni proxy and they don't provide a newsgropu server (I think) does anyone know of any free ones?
Mucho Grazias

tyberius
05-05-2003, 06:30 PM
I you are interested in binary groups then I don't know. However, if you are just interested in any plain groups, then goto: http://news.cis.dfn.de/

Good luck

scribblec
05-05-2003, 06:40 PM
whats a newsgroup?

tyberius
05-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Newsgroups are somewhat similar to these forums.

The Internet is made up of various components, the web, e-mail, irc, ftp, telnet and Usenet. Usenet newsgroups can be read with news reader/clients or you can use e-mail programs like Outlook Express. You can also read and post to newsgroups by going to google groups. Consult with your ISP to find out if they have a newsgroup server. You will need the name of the server to configure your software. Also, some administrators require a password log in.

Jibbler
05-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Your internet provider should offer you basic newsgroup service. If they don't, in this day and age, then you need a new provider. Newsgroups have been around since the dawn of the internet. Newsgroups remain one of the most popular aspects of the internet, and they offer anonymous posting, so sharing is completely safe. :)

RealitY
05-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by tyberius@6 May 2003 - 00:17
You will need the name of the server to configure your software. Also, some administrators require a password log in.
What software.

tyberius
05-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@6 May 2003 - 04:47
Newsgroups have been around since the dawn of the internet. 
Well, newsgroups have existed even before Al Gore invented the Internet. Those of you who are new to newsgroups should find this interesting:

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive...nnounce_20.html (http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html)

tyberius
05-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@6 May 2003 - 10:26
What software.
I think this should answer your question:

http://news.cis.dfn.de/en/config.html

TClite
05-06-2003, 06:11 PM
newsgroups are also very complicated at first particularly for newbies, or those who have become accustomed to p2p, I suggest you read up about them here http://www.nfonews.com, they have a short but sweet help section, and some info on client software, ive used 'grabit','forte agent' and 'newsbin pro' from experience and in my opinion newsbin is the better of the three mentioned

Jibbler
05-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Mainly I use Grabit as well. In order to access the archives on the newsgroup servers, you need a program to browse the files and articles, this is your newsgroup reader. Outlook Express can be used but it is generally not recommended. Grabit works well, and so does NewsbinPro which was also mentioned. B)

scribblec
05-07-2003, 05:52 PM
i think ill pass
too confusing

Benno
05-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Ok so much for the software, but does this mean there arent any free servers with binary groups?

Jibbler
05-08-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Benno@7 May 2003 - 14:18
Ok so much for the software, but does this mean there arent any free servers with binary groups?
If you don't have access to a free server thru your ISP, then you'll probably have to pay.

Jibbler
05-08-2003, 05:50 AM
People are becoming spoiled by the ease of kazaa and napster types of programs. You want fast files, you gotta take a chance and try to learn something new. Newsgroups and IRC are the backbone of warez distribution. Keep surfing kazaa and you'll continue waiting for files. ;)

scribblec
05-08-2003, 07:37 PM
well ive advanced through the ages
first kazaa
then kazaa lite
then imesh(flopped)
then emule
then dc<didnt like
then bit torrent
^most advanced
tried irc
way to complecated

Benno
05-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler+8 May 2003 - 07:48--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 8 May 2003 - 07:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Benno@7 May 2003 - 14:18
If you don&#39;t have access to a free server thru your ISP, then you&#39;ll probably have to pay.[/b][/quote]
Thanks, but I dont think I have one through my ISP. :(

Probably its time to look into IRC, though it looked always to complicated to me. ;)

Jibbler
05-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Benno@8 May 2003 - 18:15
Probably its time to look into IRC, though it looked always to complicated to me. ;)
As with anything new, it can be intimidating at first, but stick with it, you&#39;ll figure it out. Remember, its a chat program first, a filesharing program second. B)

Schmiggy_JK23
05-09-2003, 12:18 AM
irc has become super easy with the use of ircspy, and packetnews... i mean, the webpages send commands to mirc, to open that server/channel, and even copies the command for you to paste in the channel window... cant get much easier then that...

shit, i remember the ole fserve days... racing people to hit the &#33;trigger first, soon as a slot opened, gawd... that was rough...

Jibbler
05-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Ha ha&#33; That&#39;s so true. I used to watch the same fserve for an hour, waiting for a spot to open so I could jump into que. Everyone else tried too, so the server would get hammered and time out. Oh the early days of IRC. B)

Oni
05-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Do a search free alt.freenews.servers......it has plenty of web site and server address&#39;s..

try news.freeserve.com
no password

regards

Oni :ph34r:

Benno
05-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Oni@9 May 2003 - 19:30
Do a search free alt.freenews.servers......it has plenty of web site and server address&#39;s..

try&nbsp; &nbsp; news.freeserve.com
no password

regards

Oni&nbsp; :ph34r:
thanks but I dont quite get what you mean with
Do a search free alt.freenews.servers :unsure:

I tried news.freeserve.com but I cant connect.

Sorry if I&#39;m behaving like a n00b but actually I am one. :)

amphoteric88
05-10-2003, 06:02 AM
news.freeserve.com does a line check when you connect
only freeserve users (like me) can use it
it&#39;s a shame, because i find it to be quite good, mainly for music though, there&#39;s not a lot else.

Jibbler
05-10-2003, 06:22 AM
When you guys are ready for some serious newsgroup action, check out a good news hoster. I use newshosting.com, but there are lots of them. They give you guaranteed retention of files, muliple connections, and lightning fast servers. :)

RealitY
05-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Well, l :unsure: :unsure: ks like I got some readin&#39; ta do.

Funny I went to my news server with outlook and found something I wanted. Problem is, each post was 512,000 bytes, thus 30 post per 15mb file, and I guess the average is 45 files to make a full cdr. Aperently what I&#39;m l :unsure: :unsure: king at is in 4 parts, thus totaling almost 200 15mb files (3gb or so). Now I thought these posts would be 15mb each, thus needing about 45 per disc, not 45 multiplied by 30 (512,000) posts&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :o :o If thats true then what I want is 200 parts (15mb each) multiplied by 30 (512,000 each) posts totalling 600 parts. Yikes.

One question that pops to mind, can you open any of these prior to completion (1 full part). Another is time to read. Regarding IRC, funny you guys mention battleing to get a spot in the day as I went nuts being a slow typer, and cut and paste is not quick on my computer which has a touch pad, it really sucked.

Jibbler
05-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Reality, you&#39;re on the right track. Files are posted to newsgroups as binaries, so they are zipped into equal parts. 15mb is about right for a Rar or Tar file. So a movie would be about 700mb or so, maybe 45 is about right. I download DVD-Rs, full DVD movies, and these are 50mb files, and there are approx 85-90 per movie. Newsgroup servers are really fast, faster than you&#39;ll ever get on p2p. Outlook or Outlook Express will get you started, but when you start getting into binaries, or multiple downloads, you&#39;ll want a good reader like newzbinPro or Grabit. They allow you to select multiple files, and download many at a time. My server lets me have 8 similtaneous connections, so it doesn&#39;t take me long to get a full movie off a newsgroup.

Your question is a little tricky. If the files are RAR, then you can&#39;t extract them until you have all the parts. You can double click any file in the archive, and view its contents at any time. B)

Hope that helps. B)

amphoteric88
05-10-2003, 06:36 AM
sadly, i can&#39;t use any of the pay servers. i live in scotland and only have a debit card, so i can&#39;t register :(

RealitY
05-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Well, I&#39;m readin&#39; now that I have the time. Last time I read a very well put together article on Slyck but got a little over baked after 4 pages.

Then my question still stands, do I need to grab 30 posts to make each 15mb file? Do other severs have solid 1 grab 15mb files? If I need 30 each, it seems like a second job.

By the way Jib, wat da ya tink of the Shareaza? Seemed quick at first but I&#39;m not sure yet as it has froze up on me a couple of times already and speeds now seem slow. I also find the bittorent to be ineffective, as it seems sloppy.

RealitY
05-10-2003, 10:35 AM
First off, if you followed this post up to here, then it is worth doing the little work you will need to. Fact is my average speed, once I figured it out, was about 175KB/s for the actual download (running 4 at a time), not bad. Then an additional 15 minutes or so to extract depending on size. Seems my local newsgroup is decent. I love KL, especially for speed and ease of use, but we all know its last on the list as things are hard to find and download rates seem a little slim lately. Bittorent is nice but troublesome lately. This is one item that will not be leaving my computer soon. I will say everything you need has been mentioned in this post.

By the way DONT try to use Outlook Express or the like, it seems these programs somehow put together the 30 (or whatever) smaller files into one 15mb (as an example) file, they also convert the file into a .rar (again an example), since when I tried the other way I never got beyond having .news files.

Thanks All.

amphoteric88
05-10-2003, 10:48 AM
i have a newsgroup question, thought i&#39;d post here rather than start a new topic.
this morning i&#39;ve been trying to dl some mp3&#39;s and nearly all of the files have failed&#33; :(
the error is a "sig match duplicate"
what does this mean?
any help would be great
i&#39;m using newsbin pro

Jibbler
05-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@10 May 2003 - 02:51
Then my question still stands, do I need to grab 30 posts to make each 15mb file? Do other severs have solid 1 grab 15mb files? If I need 30 each, it seems like a second job.

By the way Jib, wat da ya tink of the Shareaza? Seemed quick at first but I&#39;m not sure yet as it has froze up on me a couple of times already and speeds now seem slow. I also find the bittorent to be ineffective, as it seems sloppy.
You need to get a newsreader, then you can highlight the files you want, and download them with one click.

Shareaza kicks ass. Hasn&#39;t frozen up on me, but it took forever to hash 4500 mp3 files. I love the options and the interface, and it has it own media player to boot. The search screen is great, even allowing you to categorize your files and search by release group, etc.

Can&#39;t comment on the speed, haven&#39;t downloaded anything yet. :huh:

RealitY
05-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Actually the speeds seems to be my only gripe at the momment along with the "Q" factor, I&#39;m also suprised at the amout of hits my PG is taking while on.

this morning i&#39;ve been trying to dl some mp3&#39;s and nearly all of the files have failed&#33;&nbsp; the error is a "sig match duplicate"
I thought that meant it was already in your folder, though I&#39;m not sure, maybe Jib can clue you in. Could also be a the news server having problems.

By the way I set up NewsBinPro, though it expires quickly, anyone got a hash to one that is possibly free, PM me if needed.

RealitY
05-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Well if your curious Jib, or anyone else check out Security For Shareaza (http://shareazaforum.anenga.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40), lOOks cool.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Reality: Get a crack for newsbin at like, Cracks.am (http://www.google.com)

Shareazza... so far I am not impressed. The hashing was horribly slow, even with fast hashing on, (130gigs didnt hash fast at all, still isnt done, yes i know, 4-5 different hashes a file, but still). So far, 98% of my sources were from the donkey/emule, hence, slow ass queue lines... seemed rare that a file i wanted, (i did two movies, apac now redux, and blade runner directers cut), was on the g2, or g1 networks... (shareaza/limewire, bearshare/etc)... so to me so far, its like, well might as well just use the slow ass donkey... at least till files circulate better, etc....

but the client is nice, nice features, well organized, etc... but im not impressed with the speeds, or the gnutella1 or 2 networks yet...

amphoteric88
05-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@10 May 2003 - 21:19
I thought that meant it was already in your folder, though I&#39;m not sure, maybe Jib can clue you in. Could also be a the news server having problems.
i thought it may be that the files were already in my download directory, however, i moved all the files out of that directory into my shared folder and the problem persisted :(
it&#39;s still happeneing, although only to about half of the files now

RealitY
05-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Well, worse case, uninstal the reader and reinstall.

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@10 May 2003 - 23:08
Well if your curious Jib, or anyone else check out Security For Shareaza (http://shareazaforum.anenga.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40), lOOks cool.
Checked it out already. I&#39;ve been browsing the boards over there, trying to get a handle on everything this program has to offer. I&#39;m still very impressed, but I can&#39;t get bittorrent downloads to work, and, like Schmiggy, it took forever to hash all my files. There is supposed to be a quick hash option, but I still can&#39;t find it. :huh:

edit:typo

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 12:30 AM
I&#39;m really happy to hear that you are having some success with the Newsgroups. So many people are intimidated by them, but its all pretty simple once you know what you are looking at. Like I said once before, Kazaa users have become spoiled by the simple "search and download" that it offers. Filesharing will always be around, but its going to get harder to find the files you want. If you can figure out newsgroups, then you can do IRC, or anything else that&#39;s out there.

One thing about Shareaza, is that it puts a graphic interface on some pretty complex shit. I don&#39;t think people even understand the complexity of what is happending behind the scenes. B)

RealitY
05-12-2003, 02:11 AM
I like the Shareaza format as well, alot, though I could not figure out the quick hash either. Unfortunattly after my first download which blew through at about 150kb/s, its been all quene and average 10kb/s. I thought it may have a point system so I&#39;ve let it run strickly to upload, we&#39;ll see.

The Bittorent sucks however, just scamming on open network I figure. Slow to connect and does not show the upload speeds, nor would I imagine it stays open after completion (my guess), which is the whole point of Bittorent. You can turn it on in the section that asks how you want Shareaza to handle links. I&#39;ve already turned it off, and actually just downloaded the new Bittoret 3.2.1.

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 02:44 AM
I still can&#39;t get bittorent to work on my pc here. I keep getting an error message when I try to download anything. I can&#39;t get the bittorrent files to work inside of Shareaza either.

Regarding your speed, i&#39;m sure it would vary, based on what network you are trying to download the file from. If its being downloaded from an emule client, then emule rules would apply. So in some cases uploading will help, other times it may not. I would also imagine that there would be less stress on the processor if you are only connected to one network at a time, though that defeats the purpose of putting them all in one program. <_<