PDA

View Full Version : Extra Usenet Tools

Flinty
08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey,

I was wondering what tools people use when doing their average download. I use Newsleecher and AutoUnpack. Is there any tool that can do the job better that AutoUnpack??

Thanks,
Scott

clairebear
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey,

I was wondering what tools people use when doing their average download. I use Newsleecher and AutoUnpack. Is there any tool that can do the job better that AutoUnpack??

Thanks,
Scott

am with you too i use newsleecher and autounpack personally i think its the best combo there is at the moment until i am convinced otherwise ive tryed alot of unrar programs and they dont seem to beat autounpack;)

MultiForce
08-24-2006, 12:05 AM
AutoUnpack is the only program I've tried that doesen't lock up when used simultaniously with Newsbin downloading.

Very good program. Sending all the NZB's from work and everything is ready to watch, play or whatever when I come home :D

Jimi...
08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I just use Newsleecher, WinRAR and QuickPAR.

gaz31
08-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I use NewsLeecher and Rarslave which is everything you reallly need.

citizenblue
08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Im the only one who uses usenet explorer?

MultiForce
08-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Never heard of the thing, before I searched it up and saw THIS:

Virtual groups - combining headers from many groups in one window

Sound like something I need to try.

Jimi...
08-26-2006, 12:12 AM

Does it just download the headers for each group your subscribed to 'cause Newsleecher does that too as well as Supersearch which is a godsend in my opinion.

citizenblue
08-26-2006, 12:30 AM

Does it just download the headers for each group your subscribed to 'cause Newsleecher does that too as well as Supersearch which is a godsend in my opinion.

Yes it does just dl headers to groups you subscribe to. It has a search function that does the same as supersearch as far as I can tell.
Just bought it for 35$, I love every bit of it. I have yet to find one thing about it I don't like.
There is a free 15 day trial that does everything the real version does, give it a try if you are bored.

EDIT was browsing and just realized slyck has it as the #1 rated reader, only 7 votes (& I am one of them :) )
but still...
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=3

mikeco
08-26-2006, 11:42 AM

same here

Jimi...
08-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Had a look at UE and I don't know, seems unorganised and cluttered. Prefer Newsleecher to be honest and it's $5.05 cheaper.

citizenblue
08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
I guess thats why no one else uses it...
:)

Jimi...
08-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Which do you prefer Blue, downloading headers or using indexing sites?

I prefer downloading the headers for the groups I'm subscribed to to be honest, indexing sites miss a lot of stuff and it's so easy to find what your looking for with Newsleecher.

citizenblue
08-27-2006, 12:38 AM
I dl headers, have yet to use a single nzb,
however i suppliment that w/ indexing sites,
for example i was searching through alt.binaries.the-terminal and skipped right by a file along the lines of ABTT TSS1D1, without newzbin i wouldn't have been able to figure out that the file was a certain tv show on dvd that i sorely wanted, obviously, even w/ supersearch or UE's search function, a search for the actual name of the show would have come up empty handed.

Jimi...
08-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, some peoples naming schemes are a bit silly at times. It's nice having indexing sites at your disposal, but I hardly ever use them now. The only downside I can think of downloading headers is the amount of space they take up. At the moment, they're taking up 4.26GB, it will probably be double that in 25 days.

RealitY
08-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Think Newsleecher with the year package at 29 which includes SuperSearch is a great deal.
As for tools have Newslecher WinRAR QuickPAR and RARSlave also...

Freewolf
08-27-2006, 03:13 PM

same here

Me too

jetje
10-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Autounpack (even donated so pleased i'm with it!) it does work most of the times like a charm.

also alongside FTD (a site/tool to find good posts) i use FTD-watchdog wich finds pre defined sort new posts. Saves time searching.

peterjohno
10-16-2006, 12:49 AM

same here

Me too, im interested in this autounpack though.

sshaw1982
10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
gonna have to try autounpack but currently its newsleecher, winrar and quickpar

MultiForce
10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
gonna have to try autounpack but currently its newsleecher, winrar and quickpar

Use a few minutes to set it up as you want it and you'll see that you don't have to waste time on clicking/waiting/unraring and whatever.

Just remember that the mail/NZB feature only supports plain txt mail and not html.

asmithz
10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I guess I am the only one that uses GrabIt :-p

Grabit, XBMC, and Shift Delete

XBMC reads the rars, no need to extract :)

Movax
10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Hey..

If you use newzbin.com, you should give ninan a shot. It runs in java and uses a web browser interface (from a remote computer if you'd like). Basic features: It will attempt to par check, fix, and unrar files it downloads, then delete the rar and par sets. (It will only download as many par files as needed.)

It doesn't always work perfect, but it's pretty good, and is being activly developed (I think).

Works great with greasemonkey scripts for firefox.
Note: Ninan is not a newsreader (NINAN) It will only work with newzbin post IDs or NZB files.

http://www.ninan.org