GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 04:59 AM
shite

manker
08-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Use µTorrent, pneub.

JPaul
08-24-2006, 11:31 AM
I use Tornado, as recommened by Chebus, many moons ago. I see no reason for fancy dan (no offence Dan) GUIs. A wee grey box is all one needs.

However if this µTorrent of which you speak is better then I will give that a whirl. What say you Professor Clerk.

manker
08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, I think you should give it a whirl.

Titchy ram footprint and some other stuff I can't be arsed typing.

F. Canard
08-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Azureus has this thingie:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4239/unbelievableycoolmi7.png

I have no idea what it does, but I bet it's something unbelieveabibblywibbly cool.

Barbarossa
08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
It's the London Eye, dude. :dabs:

F. Canard
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Oh, that's shit.

JPaul
08-24-2006, 03:30 PM

I shall install it forthwith and give it the proverbial whirl.

manker
08-24-2006, 03:34 PM

I shall install it forthwith and give it the proverbial whirl.No need for installation - it's stand alone :smilie4:

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
The options were stand alone and installation program. I chose the latter, would I be better with the former.

manker
08-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I never install stuff if I don't have to because of the registry fecking upery.

In short, I don't know. Maybe. Yeah, yes you would.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Willdo skip.

Which one was the yes to.:blink:

manker
08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
I've lost track, mate. Stop asking so many questions already. Jeez.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I was just asking, like.

manker
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, well what did I ever do to you - was it really so bad?

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
The sandwich debacle for one thing.

The Doctors say my recovery is now almost complete.

manker
08-24-2006, 04:00 PM
The sandwich debacle for one thing.

The Doctors say my recovery is now almost complete.
Oh, that time when you were pwned by my Mam's logic.

Yeah, sorry.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm not allowed to discuss it.

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 04:49 PM
lest we forget you can still use the old auto speed thing, which is fantastical

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 04:53 PM

:blink:

DanB
08-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Use µTorrent, pneub.

Agreed :D

No offence taken JP

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 05:43 PM

it pings google every few seconds and adjusts your upload speed to keep your ping at roughly what you want it to be at.

did i use "lest we forget" wrong?

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
it pings google every few seconds and adjusts your upload speed to keep your ping at roughly what you want it to be at.

I have no idea what any of that means.

None whatsoever.

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 08:12 PM

I have no idea what any of that means.

None whatsoever.
high ping = bad. transfering too much data at once causes high ping :dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah but what does google have to do with it.

Remember I'm a recovering rodaholic, so these are genuine questions.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Oh and your lest we forget was OK, however some people may take it as being in bad taste as it normally relates to our war dead.

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah but what does google have to do with it.

Remember I'm a recovering rodaholic, so these are genuine questions.
google is like the biggest site on the interweb, so if you can't get a good ping to them it's almost certainly a problem at your end.

and sorry about the lest thing :dabs: i thought it was just a posh way of saying don't :ermm:

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
So what does the auto-speed hactually do?

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:31 PM
So what does the auto-speed hactually do?
What he said.

How does something "pinging" Google have any effect on your torrent downloads.

Is it a seperate prog you run while you are downloading or is it an automatic thing.

I'm not offended about the other thing mate, but thanks for saying it anyway. I was just suggesting that some people may be. Almost certainly no-one here, but there are hyper-sensitive people :earl:

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
It's built in to the program and gives a link to wiki which says this:

Auto-speed attempts to match Azureus's upload speed with your network connection's current traffic to avoid overloading it.

It works by selecting a number of other Azureus instances from the Distributed Database as ping targets. It then periodically pings these to obtain an average latency for your connection. In order to baseline these pings Azureus needs a period during which little network activity occurs. If this doesn't happen naturally within a period after startup it will temporarily force the upload limit to a very low value to obtain the baseline (it may repeat this at other times when the ping targets change)

Once a baseline ping time is available, auto-speed adjusts the upload speed based on the observed difference between the current ping time and the baseline.

There are many different types of connection with very different characteristics. Unfortunately auto-speed is currently not clever enough to optimise its behaviour for all scenarios automatically so you may need to adjust its parameters to maximise its effectiveness. To do this you need to select a 'mode' of 'advanced' in the configuration.

The three main parameters of interest are the increase/decrease amounts and the 'choking ping'. The first two affect how quickly auto-speed changes Azureus's upload setting in response to ping latency changes. The third is the latency that Azureus will consider as an absolute indicator of choking (although it also considers an additional factor based on the measured baseline ping time)

:whoosh:

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I second that :whoosh:

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Dave, explain the above in layman's terms.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Maybe you should explain "layman's terms" for him.

However try to keep it simple.

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:40 PM
To put something in layman's terms is to describe a complex or technical issue using words and terms that the average individual (someone without professional training in the subject area) can understand, so that they may comprehend the issue to some degree.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:42 PM
You should really have used the word esoteric in the above. Cognoscenti would also have helped in the quest for irony.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
PS I know you weren't being ironic, it was a very good explanation.

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
thnx, I stole it from wiki:lookaroun

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
My own description would be along the lines of:

To describe something as if you were talking to a glebe.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:46 PM
My own description would be along the lines of:

To describe something as if you were talking to a VB4321.

Fixed.

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Reportedhttp://board.dogbomb.co.uk/images/smilies/siren.gif

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 08:54 PM
eeek

See you in a few days :cry:

F. Canard
08-24-2006, 08:58 PM
The auto-speed thingie changes your upload speed to a number it decides on a random basis. It does this at intervals it chooses at random.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 09:02 PM
The auto-speed thingie changes your upload speed to a number it decides on a random basis. It does this at intervals it chooses at random.

How is that helpful

F. Canard
08-24-2006, 09:30 PM
It makes it look like it's doing something more interesting than normal.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
It makes it look like it's doing something more interesting than normal.

A gimmick you say.

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 10:10 PM
:dabs:

that official built-in is shit. hignore it.

a ping is the ammount of time it takes information to get from your computer to another computer and back.

when you're leeching shitloads, or uploading shitloads. your interweb starts getting like clogged up. when this happens the ping time increases. the quality of your browsidging becomes suck and annoying when your ping starts to go over around 200 milliseconds.

auto speed works by increasing and decreasing you clients download speed to keep you ping hovering around a set speed.

for example. if you set the autospeed ping to 100ms... the autospeed plugin will ping a set website (google) every few seconds. if the ping time goes above about 130ms your upload throttle will automatically decrease by 1k. if it goes below 70 ms, the upload throttle will be increased by 1k.

obvious innit :ermm:

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 10:11 PM
So in short it increases/decreases the download/upload speed to let you continue using the interweb?

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Where does Google come into it tho'.

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I downloaded the separate plugin one and it rly does wurk:smilie4:

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I just use different computers for downloading and browsing.

Would this thing be of any help.

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Not rly, cause I assume they're on the same network.

When I'm downloading on mine, everyone else's (in the house, on teh network) runs slowly.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that.

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 11:28 PM
I just use different computers for downloading and browsing.

Would this thing be of any help.
yes it would help. bo is wrong.

i'm gonna draw a diagram. brb

Proper Bo
08-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Hoi, I didn't say "fact."

fact.

Mr JP Fugley
08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh FFS, can somebody post a proper answer.

GepperRankins
08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
meh. fuck a diagram. it's not really possible to draw one.

in order to 'ping' you need a target. google rawks for this because it seems to be spoofed all over the world so you get local quality pings from the URL. it's also kinda unshakable. it never lags and i think it's only over been down one day since the dinosaurs.

presuming all your computers share the internets... there's only one possible ping between you and a specific target on the net.

programs with a higher threshold tend to cannibalise (that the right word?) all the bandwidth, which can be quite useful...

in my house we have one pc on 24/7, running azureus with autospeed set to 80 and the HTML UI plugin. this way. everybody gets to control the torrents over the local network and we don't end up fighting over bandwidth.

however when i want to download stuff i don't want my mam to see :ermm:. i use the copy of azureus on my PC with the autospeed ping set to 120. because this tolerance is higher than the 24/7 pc. my machine tries to keep the status quo of 120 while the 24/7 drops the speed down to 3k because it can't get the ping down to 80ms.

however, no computer on the network gets a ping much above 120 :smilie4:

i shoulda tried the diagram instead :pinch:

Barbarossa
08-25-2006, 08:40 AM

a ping is the ammount of time it takes information to get from your computer to another computer and back.

when you're leeching shitloads, or uploading shitloads. your interweb starts getting like clogged up. when this happens the ping time increases. the quality of your browsidging becomes suck and annoying when your ping starts to go over around 200 milliseconds.

auto speed works by increasing and decreasing you clients download speed to keep you ping hovering around a set speed.

for example. if you set the autospeed ping to 100ms... the autospeed plugin will ping a set website (google) every few seconds. if the ping time goes above about 130ms your upload throttle will automatically decrease by 1k. if it goes below 70 ms, the upload throttle will be increased by 1k.

Brilliant. :happy:

Anyone who didn't understand this explanation is a total glebe beyond imagining. :dry:

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 10:18 AM

Brilliant. :happy:

Anyone who didn't understand this explanation is a total glebe beyond imagining. :dry:

Well shave my head and call me glebe. I had to stop at "spoofed" because my brain does not let me go beyond a word / concept I don't understand. That's why I hardly ever finish reading long posts.

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got an idea, I don't really need to understand it. I'll ask a series of simple questions.

1. Is this autospeed a good thing.

2. If so, can I download it.

3. If so, where from.

4. Do I then install it and ignore it

or

5. Do I need to switch it on when torrenting.

Thank you.

manker
08-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Just set your maximum upload speed to 80% of your total upload and download speed to 80% of your maximum download speed.

If you know that you'll be leaving your PC on overnight, click the option which sets your upload to max out unless you're also downloading something. Uncheck it when you wanna start browsing again.

You'll always be able to browse with pas de problems.

Good explanation by The but the autospeed thing is pointless.

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I understand that.

Using that uTorrent thing now. Just for seeding so far.

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I've got an idea, I don't really need to understand it. I'll ask a series of simple questions.

1. Is this autospeed a good thing.

2. If so, can I download it.

3. If so, where from.

4. Do I then install it and ignore it

or

5. Do I need to switch it on when torrenting.

Thank you.
1. yes

2. if you use azureus

3. if you use azureus, you can download it from the plugins menu

4. yes

5. it's a plugin for azureus so once it's in you don't have to worry, because when you're torrenting it opens itself like

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks The.

All received and understood.

I'm trying this uTorrent thing just now, as recommended by manrent. Are you more of an azureus man yourself.

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks The.

All received and understood.

I'm trying this uTorrent thing just now, as recommended by manrent. Are you more of an azureus man yourself.
whatever gave you that eye dear?

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I just thought like.

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
you thought right. it's hawt i tells ya. it's got almost as many pointless extensions as firefox :01:

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Has it got any pointed ones tho'.

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Has it got any pointed ones tho'.
yeah. it's got this cool one called autospeed. have you heard of it?

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 11:38 AM
No, please to be explaining.

F. Canard
08-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Lol.

limesqueezer
08-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Azureus is your friend :D
It has lots of things u don't need but u can do without em.

manker
08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Azureus is your friend :D
It has lots of things u don't need but u can do without em.
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/859/msneyebrow3rt.gif

Folk can do without things that they don't need.

I'm so glad you're here to guide us, you're like some kind of magical visionary.

limesqueezer
08-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Older & wiser my young grasshopper :P

manker
08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Really? I'd assumed you were about thirteen but we live and we learn :)

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Stop double "we"ing, it's realy irksome.

manker
08-25-2006, 03:20 PM

Stop double "we"ing, it's realy irksome.Whether or not I've got congealed fanny spunk on the end of my knob is no concern of yours, nob.

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Stop double "we"ing, it's realy irksome.Whether or not I've got congealed fanny spunk on the end of my knob is no concern of yours, nob.

Thanks for that image, back to therapy for me then.

In other news. I like this uTorrent thing. I downloade half of Blade 8 in about 5 minutes, getting speeds over 500 Kb/s. Then it went down to zero. I stopped it and re-started a few seconds later and it went back up to ace speeds. Also easier for managing uploads, which is important to me.

Thanks for the advice. The Lounge > Software World, File Sharing World, Interweb World, feck it *.World.