PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Extension Promises Private P2P

peat moss
08-25-2006, 03:00 AM
http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/9608/untitled35hf.gifAllPeers released a beta Thursday of what it called the most ambitious Firefox extension to date, a peer-to-peer application that would allow friends and family to share files and content between one another in a private setting.

Unlike the major P2P networks, AllPeers allows the sharing of files securely and privately.

The application has been released on Firefox's extensions Web site, and is compatible with Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The AllPeers backend uses BitTorrent in combination with what is calls a "darknet," where the computer user will remain anonymous while transferring files.

:source: Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/Firefox_Extension_Promises_Private_P2P/1156452762
:view: Homepage: http://www.allpeers.com/

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 03:13 AM
anyone up for teying this out?

peat moss
08-25-2006, 04:36 AM
I guess thats the problem , you need your friends to be using Firefox and the extension .

Do like this tho " Share 100KB, 100MB, 100GB, it does not matter! "

Here's the Firefox link : https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3234/

sear
08-25-2006, 04:42 AM
very good Idea...I know this will come in usefull to me :shifty: as I have a few friends around the place I like to share with. I'd be interested in how the sharers remain hidden. I'll have to do a bit more research. Thanks for the heads up peat.

peat moss
08-25-2006, 04:54 AM
The only thing that bothers me is why do they need your e-mail address to download the program . Wonder how many noobs will fall for that ?

Barbarossa has a post here about darknet :

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=125839

sear
08-25-2006, 06:03 AM
The only thing that bothers me is why do they need your e-mail address to download the program . Wonder how many noobs will fall for that ?

Barbarossa has a post here about darknet :

realy? jesus I hadn't got that far yet seems a bit dodge :unsure: I supose if you use a throwaway addy it isn't too much of a prob but still hearing that kind of turns me off it.

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 06:05 AM
what's the problem with using my email. let 'em sell it. they deserve a few pence :dabs:

anyway. PM me if you wanna play :ermm:

peat moss
08-26-2006, 12:55 AM
I just D/L 'd sure looks like MSN or Yahoo , fucker starts with Firefox but in a side bar .

I like the idea even if I just share with some trusted friends from this forum and family. This forum should set up something like this ?

GepperRankins
08-26-2006, 01:08 AM
I just D/L 'd sure looks like MSN or Yahoo , fucker starts with Firefox but in a side bar .

I like the idea even if I just share with some trusted friends from this forum and family. This forum should set up something like this ?
problem is there's no control at all of upload speed, so it kills your connection when you upload. that, and it's about as stable as mel gibson.

i was thinking the whole forum should set up a group, then whenever someone asks for something we can just pass it about using this instead of hunting through all the newsgroups and p2p networks to find a source, then not post a direct link

peat moss
08-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Ya Gripper , was talk a while back about this but even if the Mods used it to test who do you let on to the network ? By post count ?, I can can see some numb nut sending a virus . :(

Sorry meant Gepper , hey I can't spell and your going to trust my shared files ?:whistling

GepperRankins
08-26-2006, 06:47 AM
well you do get the option to refuse adding people to your contact list. we could just make a thread and not allow people in until they post thier screen names.

GepperRankins
08-26-2006, 08:29 AM
they said on the forum that putting a throttle in is thier highest priority right now :01:

Hairbautt
08-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Cool, but this would be kinda hard to maintain that is the forum PM/Friends let's share stuff thing.

peat moss
08-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Ya its still Beta as well , after some searching found a thread about Pando .

Same idea but supposaly better ,yet another Beta . Sign of things to come I guess as its legal .

http://www.pando.com/beta/

NeoTheOne
08-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Okay I tried this extension and there is one thing I dont like about this, as a matter of fact one thing I dont like about this and that darknet sweden thingy. This can potenionaly be a great risk to national secuirty seeing how the files are being highly encrypted (mainly on the darknet shit) and also , the thing with the extension is you must have freinds willing to share. Well thats good for people with freinds who are piraters, but waht about us folks , if none of my freidns are piraters then i guess we are stuck using bittorent!.

peat moss
08-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Okay I tried this extension and there is one thing I dont like about this, as a matter of fact one thing I dont like about this and that darknet sweden thingy. This can potenionaly be a great risk to national secuirty seeing how the files are being highly encrypted (mainly on the darknet shit) and also , the thing with the extension is you must have freinds willing to share. Well thats good for people with freinds who are piraters, but waht about us folks , if none of my freidns are piraters then i guess we are stuck using bittorent!.

I'd like to think its more like a rapidshare or program to send home movies to grandma . Or bigger files maybe with ease . Example The Dave would like to try Symantic Security Client , I could send the 353 mg file and sit back and wait for a response .

Its hard to get angry with someone like you Neotheone , who has actually tried the program . Maybe just use it to share photos or music with friends ?
Problem solved as you can send up to 100gb ? :ph34r:

100%
08-26-2006, 07:55 PM
sounds interesting - trying it out now

NeoTheOne
08-26-2006, 09:41 PM

I'd like to think its more like a rapidshare or program to send home movies to grandma . Or bigger files maybe with ease . Example The Dave would like to try Symantic Security Client , I could send the 353 mg file and sit back and wait for a response .

Its hard to get angry with someone like you Neotheone , who has actually tried the program . Maybe just use it to share photos or music with friends ?
Problem solved as you can send up to 100gb ? :ph34r:

Sure yea Photosharing, Family Video sharing from familys and freinds. But what I would love to see is a highly encrypted P2p network, where you can create a 1-x number of users without knowing who the person is, where he is , encrypted Ip, encrypted files, everything. Sure that brings up the issue of national sercurity, but then again for Movie downloaders in "Risk" states and countries it can be a life saver , even if the MPAA sets out a trap, it will be impossible to know Who the person is that is downloading from you

FreeDoom
08-27-2006, 02:16 AM
Gonna try it but without upload control it must suck "a bit"...:(
Guess i'll be using net limiter again :shifty:

GepperRankins
08-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Gonna try it but without upload control it must suck "a bit"...:(
Guess i'll be using net limiter again :shifty:
it's well suited to photos i think. me and my mate have passed a couple of screengrabs and it seems to send a thumbnail first then you can kinda browse, only loading one photo at a time.

anyway, anybody wants to add me. i'm TheDave. i'm hoping to get a good few people in my "FST users" group

chojin
08-29-2006, 12:16 AM

Well thank goodness for Mailinator :whistling ;) :yup:

Freewolf
08-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a good idea but,like others have said,who do you trust besides your family and close friends? In my case I already have two strikes against me and a third strike will cost me my high speed internet since the isp I'm using is the only service avaible to me.That's the reason I switched to the newsgroups in the first place after getting my second warning for sharing ( first was while using emule second was with bittorrent) Most of my friends don't have anything to share with such a program except for the few I've managed to turn on to the newsgroups.

peat moss
08-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a good idea but,like others have said,who do you trust besides your family and close friends? In my case I already have two strikes against me and a third strike will cost me my high speed internet since the isp I'm using is the only service avaible to me.That's the reason I switched to the newsgroups in the first place after getting my second warning for sharing ( first was while using emule second was with bittorrent) Most of my friends don't have anything to share with such a program except for the few I've managed to turn on to the newsgroups.

Well in theory I guess that's where a forum like ours would come in . After making a few friends or reading members posts to see where they stand you go from there .

Like I said in theory tho as I 'v tried it for a week and have not got a lot of responses . Its new and the idea is good ,mabye a better program will come along in the future .

Hairbautt
10-23-2007, 03:29 AM
TorrentFreak just posted an article on it :smilie4:
AllPeers is a social BitTorrent extension for Firefox. The ease of use and the appealing user interface make it especially popular among people who are relatively new to BitTorrent, but why do we need a social BitTorrent client?

:source: BitTorrent Gets More Social with AllPeers (http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-gets-more-social-with-allpeers-071022/)

rupertek
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
i'm using it. any of you use it?

$SnoopDo2G$
10-25-2007, 02:04 PM
im gonna give a try anyone who wants to share some some pm me...