PDA

View Full Version : New computer doesn't work??

Skiz
08-26-2006, 02:53 AM
I've got a brand spankin new Dell sitting next to me, but when I turn it on, I get nothing on the monitor. This is the same monitor I've been using for years. I plugged it back into the old PC and it worked fine. Its an LCD with a DVI plug.

The screen just stays in sleep mode.

wtf??

Virtualbody1234
08-26-2006, 03:03 AM
Does the computer power on?

Any LED(s) on the tower?

Any fans running?

Any beeping sounds?

Skiz
08-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Let me first say that this PC has a bit of history. I don't know the history, but it has some indeed. I got it in a dark alley out of a car truck from a pretty lazy-eyed fellow. It's a Dell XPS700. 1000W PSU, TWO NVidia 7900GTX 512mb, 2gb of ram, etc, etc, etc.... I bought it for almost nothing, though it is new, in the box, and still has the clear wrapping all over it.

I got it home and things just didn't seem to work right from the get go:

Well, at first I was totally baffled. Everything seemed perfectly fine when booting the computer initially, but ultimately, nothing would even start. I took the side panel off (the computer is an XPS700). Whenever I would power up the PC, the two graphics cards fans would only spin maybe a half a revolution, then stop. I knew right there that this was a part of the problem.

I was at least halfway through typing a response to this around 6 hours ago when I had a thought. I remembered seeing brass showing on the video card terminals - A LOT of brass. I though maybe they weren't plugged in properly. Well, I was correct, they weren't. I got both cards set in their respective PCI slots properly and restarted the computer. Both graphics card fans began spinning and I thought my troubles were over. They were just beginning.

The moment Windows would start loading (perhaps 10-15 seconds in), an error would arise called lsass.exe and Windows would restart. It was an endless cycle if I let it go on. I tried more things than I could possibly name right now. Again, I've been at it for 6 hours.

The partitions were laid out as such:

The first was around 38MB. I assume this is the boot info.
The second was the C drive with Windows Media Center already installed.
The third was (if I remember) around 30,000MB.

What I realised after a while, is that Media Center is just XP Pro with extras. While I was doing these re-installs, everything was always labeled as XP Pro. I figure the F partition (third part) was the info that made it the Media Center.

Anyways, I tried deleting the XP Pro via the BIOS and re-installing. Nope. Blue screen of death appears eventually.

I tried uninstalling Media Center and installing XP Home. Nope. Blue screen of death appears eventually.

I tried re-installing, creating new partition, installing XP Home in an attempt to run that and un-install Media Center. Nope. Blue screen of death appears eventually.

I think tomorrow I'll try running LINUX and uninstalling everything that way, then buy a new Media Center key.

Any suggestions outside of mine?? :huh:

I'm anxious to get this machine running. :w00t:

Virtualbody1234
08-26-2006, 12:10 PM
What do you mean by "eventually"?

Neva
08-26-2006, 12:43 PM
What bluescreen did you see? Can you give us bluescreen stop code (its "stop 0xnumbers")

Another possible is that there is virus(like sasser or someother virus).. have you tried start win xp in SAFE Mode (press f8 at booting to get menu then select safe mode) if you can start it in safe mode then you can fix it.

Another possible its that your memorys are damaged you can check that they ok with memtest program get it http://www.memtest86.com (one or more errors and that means memorys are broken and should be replaced)

if that does not work or mems are ok then use partition magic or anyother hard disk partition tool to repartion you hard disk and format ->then install win xp pro
back

tesco
08-26-2006, 03:13 PM
What do you mean installing xp pro via the bios? :blink:
Try using an XP Pro install disc if what you're using is a backup partition on the computer.

peat moss
08-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Sorry but had to laff when I read the thread title . New Dell doesnt work . :pinch: You get what you paid for ,maybe it was dropped off a truck literaly.

Virtualbody1234
08-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Sorry but had to laff when I read the thread title . New Dell doesnt work . :pinch: You get what you paid for ,maybe it was dropped off a truck literaly.

It sure sounds like it. How else do graphics cards pop out of their slots?

zapjb
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
How much did you pay the crackhead?

So safemode doesn't work nor recovery console & no driver & recovery discs?

If it's just a software problem. Then imo the only critical thing is having all the drivers.

If indeed it's just software & you do have all the drivers.

I'd do the following (different apps will work also):

1. Darik's Boot Nuke - nuke the HDD
2. Acronis Disk Director Suite - format choosing ntfs file system & active partition
3. Install XP
4. Install drivers

suprafreak6
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
yeah im eager to know the price you paid, id say anything over 150 isnt worth it

Skiz
08-26-2006, 08:38 PM
How much did you pay the crackhead?

So safemode doesn't work nor recovery console & no driver & recovery discs?

If it's just a software problem. Then imo the only critical thing is having all the drivers.

If indeed it's just software & you do have all the drivers.

I'd do the following (different apps will work also):

1. Darik's Boot Nuke - nuke the HDD
2. Acronis Disk Director Suite - format choosing ntfs file system & active partition
3. Install XP
4. Install drivers

I paid the cracky $400. I looked inside before I bought it and saw the 2 7900GTX cards and new I was getting a deal. Even if the mobo ends up worthless, I can use the rest to build from.

I have the MCE disc that Dell includes in the box, that's all. No other software software except Roxio and some other junk. If I had the mobo disc, I would have just formatted this shit a long time ago and started with a blank drive.

I have the MCE up and almost fully working. The only thing I can find that doesn't work as it should, is the actual Media Center itself. When I click on the Media Center icon on the desktop, I get an error message stating:

Your video card drivers are not compatible with media center. :blink:

Yet, I can enter the Media Center via the Start Menu just fine.

Maybe now I can put partition Magic on here, Install XPHome, reboot with XPHome and uninstall the MCE.

Think that will work?

I still haven't tried Linux yet though.

Opinions?

zapjb
08-27-2006, 02:25 AM
Theres programs like WinDriversBackup. Supposedly they backup your drivers in .exe to your HDD. Which you then burn to disc. Then start fresh.

Skiz
08-27-2006, 03:01 AM
OK, here's the latest:

The PC only has one HDD, so I partitioned 5gb for Windows and the basics as (F:\), and left the other 295 completely blank (C:\).

I also figured out why my XP Home wouldn't work, it was a XP Home Upgrade version. I forgot all about that, it had been so long. My own dumbass fault there. :whistling

Sooo.... I just bought a brand new, full version of XP Home on eBay for $85 and free shipping. I'm 99.99% sure that I'll be able to load that onto C: with no problems at all, and then clear out the MCE stuff on the F: partition. Then I should be in business! :D

Comments or opinions? :unsure:

suprafreak6
08-27-2006, 03:07 AM
thats a hella good deal, if nothings busted and it was just the os causing problems!

Skiz
08-27-2006, 03:13 AM
thats a hella good deal, if nothings busted and it was just the os causing problems!

Tell me about it! I can't wait to get this thing running. :w00t:

Never underestimate the deals you can obtain in the "bad" parts of town. I'm looking at two Dell LCD's that I obtained about two years ago the same way. One 19" and one 18". I sold a buddy a 17" for $150. I got the 3 for a total of $400. :D

peat moss
08-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Sooo you bought a hot computer but paid for a Windows disk ? Oh thats just wrong ! :lol:

Not a bad deal tho , hmm a crack head who knows his computer stuff .You probably could of got it for less but still a good deal . Any problems with it send it to Dell for a warranty . :naughty: Don't laff I know people who did just that .

Smith
08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Perhaps swap out the HD..see if that works?

zapjb
08-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Sooo you bought a hot computer but paid for a Windows disk ? Oh thats just wrong ! :lol:

Not a bad deal tho , hmm a crack head who knows his computer stuff .You probably could of got it for less but still a good deal . Any problems with it send it to Dell for a warranty . :naughty: Don't laff I know people who did just that .
I more than agree. Imo thats a waste of $85.

Skiz
08-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Perhaps swap out the HD..see if that works?

It wouldn't. I don't have the mobo disc, etc.

Yes, you're right. Using a $2,500 computer as paperweight would be a much better option. :wacko:

Virtualbody1234
08-28-2006, 05:11 AM

Yes, you're right. Using a $2,500 computer as paperweight would be a much better option. :wacko:

Have you ever heard about filesharing?

Skiz
08-28-2006, 05:47 AM

Have you ever heard about filesharing?

Why did I know that was coming? :dry:

The are two pieces of software I don't mind purchasing - An OS or an anti-virus software. Those two things, for me, are worth the money I pay for them to give me a little peace of mind that they are not corrupt, damaged, or in any way not 100%. It's not as if I'm above paying for any software. I figure with all the music, TV shows, games, movies, etc. that I don't pay for, I'm still waaay ahead. ;)

Virtualbody1234
08-28-2006, 06:02 AM
I think the point was if you want peace of mind then you don't buy a hot computer to begin with.

You know... "a little piece of mind that they are not corrupt, damaged, or in any way not 100%."

Skiz
08-28-2006, 06:29 AM
I think the point was if you want peace of mind then you don't buy a hot computer to begin with.

You know... "a little piece of mind that they are not corrupt, damaged, or in any way not 100%."

Meh...typos, shmypos. :wank:

It's a crapshoot bro. You'll always need to weigh the pros and cons in a purchase such as mine. This time, it didn't work out ideally, but everything should be 100% in a few days. If not, then I'll work the next problem until it does.

As I stated before though, even if I have to drop money into this thing, it will turn out worth my while. $485 for a computer this nice....money well spent....peace of mind. :cool:

lynx
08-28-2006, 07:57 AM
The drivers are here. (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=XPS_700&os=WW1&osl=EN)

Took me all of 44 seconds to find them.

Skiz
08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
The drivers are here. (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=XPS_700&os=WW1&osl=EN)

I've already stated in this thread at least once that I needed a different OS anyways, as I wasn't going to register the copy that came with the PC. There were other alternatives, yes, and that was just one. I went a different route.

clocker
08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
The PC only has one HDD, so I partitioned 5gb for Windows and the basics as (F:\), and left the other 295 completely blank (C:\).

Why is the Windows partition F:?

Skiz
08-28-2006, 03:14 PM

Why is the Windows partition F:?

When I set up the partitions, I planned to install XP Home on C: and delete the MCE (F:) completely. This way, I won't have Windows on F: for the long run.

Basically, it was a temporary solution.

lynx
08-28-2006, 04:00 PM

I've already stated in this thread at least once that I needed a different OS anyways, as I wasn't going to register the copy that came with the PC. There were other alternatives, yes, and that was just one. I went a different route.Someone suggested another HDD, and you said you couldn't do that because you didn't have the motherboard disk:

I don't have the mobo disc, etc.I was pointing you to where you would find the necessary drivers that would come on the motherboard disk. You will need them in any case if you are replacing the OS version.

mikeco
08-28-2006, 08:50 PM
have u tryed the hardware in any other pcs to see what parts r screwed up?

silent h3ro
08-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Can u post full specs? That's crackhead is good with his computers lol. I'm guessing he stole it somehow. Amazing deal though, you saved at least 2k.

limesqueezer
08-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Can u post full specs? That's crackhead is good with his computers lol. I'm guessing he stole it somehow. Amazing deal though, you saved at least 2k.

Nothing is for free uless you stole it :D
The only very cheap way i know is when you buy from the ppl that make computer parts, crackheads don't.

Skiz
08-29-2006, 04:33 AM

The PC is back in the box again since I'm in the process of moving, but I'll post them soon enough. :)

Skiz
08-29-2006, 04:35 AM

Nothing is for free uless you stole it :D
The only very cheap way i know is when you buy from the ppl that make computer parts, crackheads don't.

If you can find this same computer from "someone who makes computer parts" for less than I paid, then you can say that's the "only cheap way". ;)

deuce6000
08-29-2006, 05:13 AM
A guy that steals newspapers at dawn and buys stolen pc's off crackheads yet buys operating systems from one of the richest people on the planet go figure :D

Skiz
09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
OK, after working on this new PC on/off for about 2 weeks now, I finally got everything running smooth and as it should.

The main problem I was running into was that I had no boot info since the copy of Windows I bought was OEM. :pinch:

I've basically been learning how to slipstream over the past week. Through a lot of trial and error, I finally got it right.

Once I had Windows all up and running and deleted the other partition with MCE on it, I had to hunt down all the drivers for my graphics cards, ethernet adapter, sound card, etc. A bit of a pain, but only about 1.5 hours of work.

A couple of members wanted full specs, soooo.......

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer ************
Generator Ben Dover
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2006-09-07
Time 10:49

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name *************
User Name Ben Dover

Motherboard:
CPU Type Duo Core Intel Core 2 E6400, 2133 MHz (16 x 133)
Motherboard Name Dell Dell DXG061
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4 Intel Edition
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (07/31/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX (512 MB)
Monitor Dell 1901FP (Digital) [19" LCD] (5Y232442BBPM)
Monitor Dell 1801FP (Analog) [18" LCD] (X110644LKPCL)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SigmaTel Audio @ nVIDIA nForce 570 SLI (MCP55P) - HD Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller NVIDIA MCP55 Serial ATA Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD3200KS-75PFB0 (298 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device (127 GB, USB)
Optical Drive PHILIPS DVD-ROM DROM6316
Optical Drive TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 305195 MB (289324 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 131069 MB (68727 MB free)
Total Size 426.0 GB (349.7 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Logitech USB Cordless Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (66.68.**.**)

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Logitech USB Cordless Mouse
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

EDIT: I also found out these graphics cards will not support a multi-monitor setup with SLI enabled.... WTF?! :angry:
Graphics cards this expensive won't even do what my previous $85 card would do?? What a load of shit. :angry:

lynx
09-07-2006, 08:26 PM
EDIT: I also found out these graphics cards will not support a multi-monitor setup with SLI enabled.... WTF?! :angry:
Graphics cards this expensive won't even do what my previous $85 card would do?? What a load of shit. :angry:Isn't that the whole point of SLI?

In SLI mode you use 2 processors to produce a single output, but with twice the processing power.

If you want 2 outputs then you don't run them in SLI mode.

Skiz
09-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Graphics cards this expensive won't even do what my previous $85 card would do?? What a load of shit. :angry:

Isn't that the whole point of SLI?

In SLI mode you use 2 processors to produce a single output, but with twice the processing power.

No. :blink:

The whole point of having SLI enabled graphics cards is so that I can run two graphics cards to produce a single powerful output with twice the processing power.

Each card has two DVI plugs. If I disable SLI, then I am able to run my two monitors (which are both plugged into one card) just fine, but not if SLI is enabled.

It makes no sense that if I double the power, I can only get half the usage. :wacko:

lynx
09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Isn't that the whole point of SLI?

No. :blink:

The whole point of having SLI enabled graphics cards is so that I can run two graphics cards to produce a single powerful output with twice the processing power.

Each card has two DVI plugs. If I disable SLI, then I am able to run my two monitors (which are both plugged into one card) just fine, but not if SLI is enabled.

It makes no sense that if I double the power, I can only get half the usage. :wacko:You missed my point.

You seem to want dual processor power on two outputs from one card, which is equivalent to one processor per output.

Can't you simply run one output from each card? That achieves your requirement and still gives you the equivalent processing power per output.

If that option doesn't work then I agree that the setup is crazy.

clocker
09-08-2006, 12:22 AM
"The setup is crazy". (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=22820)

suprafreak6
09-08-2006, 12:48 AM
that deal is hella good!

Skiz
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
"The setup is crazy". (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=22820)

What a crock. :dry:

I'm used to playing my games on my left screen with Teamspeak and XFire running on the other. I've been doing that for years.

Thanks NVidia, for taking a huge, expensive, 3-year step backwards. :dry:

lynx
09-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I thought you meant an extended output on 2 monitors.

However, I see the point that one output which takes almost no processing power and another where you want the power of 2 processors is currently impossible.

clocker
09-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Apparently, it can be done by installing a PCI card of non-nVidia flavor (otherwise the nVidia drivers will take it over).

Googling for "dual monitor output in SLI" came up with some forum discussions involving reg hacks and patches which seemed to result in what you're looking for.

lynx
09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Ironic that the best solution from the Nvidia forums seems to suggest buying a low-end Ati card.

peat moss
09-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Ironic that the best solution from the Nvidia forums seems to suggest buying a low-end Ati card.

As the name Ben Dover suggests or is that Bend Over ? :dry:

Skiz
09-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Someone was paying attention. :rolleyes:

peat moss
09-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Someone was paying attention. :rolleyes:

Oh ya , I don't miss much was wondering if people noticed . :lol: