PDA

View Full Version : ntl

noomski
08-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi I'm just getting to grips with newsgroups for the first time. I'm using Grabit but I can't seem to get a connection. The address i've used is news.cable.ntlworld.com port:119, however I keep getting:

'unable to conect to news.cable.ntl.world.com:119 502 Permission denied http//www.highwinds-software.com/ (Tornado v1.0.6.380)'

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cerote
08-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Have you tried a different port. I got that whenever I was using the wrong port. I am fairly new to this also, so I might be wrong. Check your newsgroup provider and see what ports they use and if they offer more than one try one of the others.

zaphodiv
08-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Wrong address
news.cable.ntl-world.com

noomski
08-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I did try news.cable.ntl-world.com but it didn't work. I got the address details from http://www.ntlworld.com/toolsservices/newsgroups/ it says there to use port 119. Would I have to port forward my router by any chance and if so what services should I forward it for? would it be TCP and UDP?? Many thanks.

UsenetGuy
08-27-2006, 07:22 PM
noomski in your first post it says you put news.cable.ntl.world.com isnt it just ntlworld.com? works fine for me :D

JPaul
09-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Host - news.ntlworld.com

Port - 119

That should work.

Remember to set your connections to 8 as well. On the same page.

UsenetGuy
09-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Yup works fine for me. I've leeched 38GB in two weeks from the ntl news server. Most of the good groups arent there but one of my favourite groups is (alt.binaries.games.xbox). I always max out my connection too.

JPaul
09-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Yup works fine for me. I've leeched 38GB in two weeks from the ntl news server. Most of the good groups arent there but one of my favourite groups is (alt.binaries.games.xbox). I always max out my connection too.

I have no idea how much I have taken, but I get max downloads pretty much all of the time. Like you said there's a lot of good groups not there, but there is still a lot available, particularly when you remember it's included in the interweb price and has unlimited downloads.