PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on best M/board,CPU combo

Gripper
08-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I've just managed to get back online after my m/board went tits up.
What I would like is some advice on what is the best m/board and cpu I could get for £100 to £120 max.
I've been looking but there are so bloody many its difficult to decide.
I'd like to be able to still use my ram That I have which is ddr and I have a radeon 9550 graphics card agp.
I've noticed that a lot of the new boards have on board graphics,don't know if they are better than my card I have now.
Any help would be appreciated

DorisInsinuate
08-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I was kinda starting to wonder where'd you been.

To stay on topic, I think onboard graphics will never be as good as a dedicated card.

Eww, I just posted in Hardonworld again :pinch:

Virtualbody1234
08-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I would't jump to that conclusion about onboard graphics. Some boards have nVidia 6150 onboard.

Quite good for general use, video playback and light gaming.

They also offer a PCIx16 slot as an upgrade path.

I've built a few systems with this board: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1938&ModelName=GA-K8N51PVMT-9

http://renzokiller.free.fr/roadtolinux/dotclear/images/ga-k8n51pvmt-9.jpg

honkey
08-28-2006, 09:00 AM
depends on what u want ur mobo and cpu to do ??? eg play games of intense progs if ur gonna mainly play games go for a asus mobo and a amd 3200+ but for the other e=nd of the spectrum i doubt 120 will get u a good mobo and cpu if u want pentium

Gripper
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the answers so far,I want to be able to play the latest games but not worried about playing them at the highest settings.
I really want to know what the most reliable m/boards are at my price range and I'm probably going with an AMD processor.

My old system was

Athlon2000xp
MSI K7N2 Delta 2
1 Gb ddr ram
Radeon 9550 256mb

this ran most games good enough for me,obviously not at top specs.

clocker
08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
What you can get depends on where you look.
I've had very good luck buying used from various forum's classifieds, allowing me to get better stuff than if I'd purchased new.

With the recent release of Conroe and AM2 there are lots of s939 parts floating about as the hardcore early adopters rush to upgrade.

Your RAM might work (is it DDR400?) but you would need a PCI-e vid card.

Gripper
08-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Cheers,I've got a computer fair round our way on thursday so I'll wander down there and have a sniff around,
My ram is ddr 400,which brand of m/boards are the most reliable?

clocker
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Asus, Gigabyte, DFI.

Avoid: Biostar, PCChips

Seedler
09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I would't jump to that conclusion about onboard graphics. Some boards have nVidia 6150 onboard.

Quite good for general use, video playback and light gaming.

They also offer a PCIx16 slot as an upgrade path.

I've built a few systems with this board: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1938&ModelName=GA-K8N51PVMT-9

http://renzokiller.free.fr/roadtolinux/dotclear/images/ga-k8n51pvmt-9.jpg

DX9 support and CineFX 3.0 on a integrated mobo?:O

Damn that's l33t.

lynx
09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Almost the exact board I'm currently thinking about.

I'm actually considering the GA-K8N51PVMT-9RH. I haven't a clue what the RH stands for, but it is a few pennies cheaper than the GA-K8N51PVMT-9 (from a different supplier), with next day delivery (compared to about 3 days) and lower shipping costs.

Virtualbody1234
09-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Almost the exact board I'm currently thinking about.

I'm actually considering the GA-K8N51PVMT-9RH. I haven't a clue what the RH stands for, but it is a few pennies cheaper than the GA-K8N51PVMT-9 (from a different supplier), with next day delivery (compared to about 3 days) and lower shipping costs.

It's almost the same board except yours doesn't have the nVidia Firewall:

GA-K8N51PVMT-9-RH
Other Features

1. NVIDIA RAID 0,1,0+1,5
2. Norton Internet Security
3. Download Center
4. Xpress Installation
5. Xpress Recovery
GA-K8N51PVMT-9

Other Features

1. NVIDIA Firewall
2. NVIDIA RAID 0,1,0+1,5
3. Norton Internet Security
4. Download Center
5. Xpress Installation
6. Xpress Recovery

lynx
09-04-2006, 11:51 PM

GA-K8N51PVMT-9-RH
Other Features

1. NVIDIA RAID 0,1,0+1,5
2. Norton Internet Security
3. Download Center
4. Xpress Installation
5. Xpress Recovery
GA-K8N51PVMT-9

Other Features

1. NVIDIA Firewall
2. NVIDIA RAID 0,1,0+1,5
4. Download Center
5. Xpress Installation
6. Xpress Recovery
I've looked elsewhere, both have the NVIDIA Firewall - "The advanced NVIDIA nForce430 MCP delivers cutting-edge technology such as ActiveArmor™ firewall" - it is built in to the chipset.

Apparently the "RH" difference is "RoHS compliant motherboard for green computing". That is "Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances", but as far as I can see that's mandatory in the EU since 1 July this year, so I can't understand how the other supplier are getting away with selling the old product.

Virtualbody1234
09-05-2006, 01:41 AM

GA-K8N51PVMT-9-RH
GA-K8N51PVMT-9

Other Features

1. NVIDIA Firewall
2. NVIDIA RAID 0,1,0+1,5
4. Download Center
5. Xpress Installation
6. Xpress Recovery
I've looked elsewhere, both have the NVIDIA Firewall - "The advanced NVIDIA nForce430 MCP delivers cutting-edge technology such as ActiveArmor™ firewall" - it is built in to the chipset.

Apparently the "RH" difference is "RoHS compliant motherboard for green computing". That is "Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances", but as far as I can see that's mandatory in the EU since 1 July this year, so I can't understand how the other supplier are getting away with selling the old product.
Oh I see. You're right about the new reduction of hazardous substances.

I just got a new DVD burner that supposedly meets the new standards. The LG GSA-H10A and I also have a bit older LG GSA-4167B without RoHS. They both seem exactly the same apart from the new standard.

Gripper
09-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I ended up getting a Sempron3000 for £49.99 and a Asrock K8NF4G with onboard graphics for £48,time to start saving for the pci-e card.
It runs Need for Speed underground fairly well,so it''l do till I can afford a decent graphics card to pop in there.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

clocker
09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
I just got a new DVD burner that supposedly meets the new standards. The LG GSA-H10A and I also have a bit older LG GSA-4167B without RoHS. They both seem exactly the same apart from the new standard.
If you crack it open you'll see that instead of using potentially hazardous solder, all connections are now made with daubs of mud and the eco-unfriendly copper wire has been replaced with woven wicker.

Just don't get it wet.

zer0tech
09-16-2006, 04:11 PM
i'd suggest you to sell you AGP graphics card, and your RAM's too, and get a new ones, 200 moneys should be enough to get a decent mobo with pcie and ddr2 along with a cheap amd processor, i dont know how much they cost on your country, but in the US you can get a amd 2800+ venice for 60 bucks, and the mobo will cost you no more than a 100 dollars, also there are agp compatible mobo's with pcie, you just send me an email and i'll help you build a new computer.

clocker
09-16-2006, 06:57 PM
.... you just send me an email and i'll help you build a new computer.
That's quite generous, would you consider helping me build my new computer?
$1400-1500 should cover most of it....