View Full Version : What NewsHosting Logs!

UsenetGuy
08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Just so everyone knows (instead of making topics asking about logs)

Uploading:
They log complete information (username, IP, time, message-id, etc) for all posts. This is done for DMCA and SPAM complatins. Every NSP has to have the ability to track down who posted what.

Downloading:
They log the amount of data downloaded per connection, along with time, ip, etc. They do -not- log what groups you visit or what article(s) you download. This information is used mostly for accounting.

None of the above information is shared w/ anyone outside NH.

Source : newsbin forums

riceboi
08-29-2006, 07:13 PM
nothing to worry about..this is just to cover their backs just to make the dmca happy..every usenet server logs info(if u read their agreement)..have u ever read a person or company ever been sued by uploading or downloading to NG ..dont think so

thedude0
08-29-2006, 09:02 PM
every usenet server logs info

not true. eweka for example doesn't log things. most providers log for only 1 or 2 days anyway, and because people have to send letters (mail with spam etc. complaints go right in the trash can) they won't get access to the logs.

riceboi
08-30-2006, 12:52 AM
every usenet server logs info

not true. eweka for example doesn't log things. most providers log for only 1 or 2 days anyway, and because people have to send letters (mail with spam etc. complaints go right in the trash can) they won't get access to the logs.

but hardly no one uses eweka..except for a few

{I}{K}{E}
08-30-2006, 08:36 AM

I use Eweka.

Eweka is the largest and fastest Dutch newsserver

Current speed: 18.498 Gbit/s (http://www.eweka.nl/readers/)

tesco
08-30-2006, 09:05 AM
I was told when I emailed them about a month ago that they don't track download usage per IP. Just by account name.

thedude0
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM

I use Eweka.

Yeah eweka is fast, you can even get speeds of 60 mbits on it. But I think tweaknews is larger because tele2 and tweakdsl subscribers have access to it.

{I}{K}{E}
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I use Eweka.

Yeah eweka is fast, you can even get speeds of 60 mbits on it. But I think tweaknews is larger because tele2 and tweakdsl subscribers have access to it.

max 20 Mbit/s ;)

thedude0
09-04-2006, 06:03 AM

max 20 Mbit/s ;)

eweka doesn't have a speed cap even though they say it
at least they didn't a few months ago

Jimi...
09-08-2006, 11:16 PM
And also bear in mind that NewsHosting continually overwrite their logs.

Alcarne
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Just got this.......

Hello,

Newshosting has received a copyright complaint stating that you, or
someone using your account, have posted copyrighted material without
authorization from the copyright holder.

During the sign-up process, you agreed to abide by our Terms of Service
which include provisions regarding the posting of copyrighted material.
Please review our Terms of Service at
http://www.newshosting.com/en/newshosting-premium-usenet-provider-terms-of-service.php.
Posting copyrighted material to Newshosting servers without the
permission of the copyright holder is a violation our Terms of Service
and is grounds for immediate account cancellation. You are hereby
directed to cease the posting of copyrighted material.

This will be the only notice you receive from Newshosting regarding the
posting of copyrighted material. Upon receipt of an additional notice,
your account will be canceled immediately, and you will be ineligible
for a refund of account subscription fees.

Again, this will serve as your only warning. Stop posting copyrighted
materials to Newshosting' servers or your account will be canceled
without further notice.

Your posting privileges have been revoked. We will consider reinstating
posting privileges upon receipt of written notice of your intent to
abide by our Terms of Service and assurance that you will not post
copyrighted material to our servers.

Regards,

Newshosting Abuse Department

I thought I uploaded using SSL!

anon
03-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Let me get this straight... you thought SSL would conceal your posts from the very server you're uploading to? :P

mjmacky
03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Wait, what's the lesson to be learned, use a different NGP?
Is that just a Newshosting thing, they just suck balls?

nntpjunkie
03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
No, it is and always has been the law per the DMCA so don't be surprised by this, it is nothing new and any NSP that wants to keep its doors open complies

Hypatia
03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
i had that experience with giganews but never with astraweb

Monaco
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
No, it is and always has been the law per the DMCA so don't be surprised by this, it is nothing new and any NSP that wants to keep its doors open complies

Exactly. The notice is just part of the way they insulate themselves from secondary infringement liability. In actuality, the notice is really very pro-customer when you consider that they allow you to keep your account and will even reinstate your posting privileges easily. So the provider does not "suck balls."

mjmacky
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
So the provider does not "suck balls."

So balls just go unsucked then? :(

Hypatia
03-30-2011, 09:41 PM
who would want to suck hairy ballz?? :D

Alcarne
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Let me get this straight... you thought SSL would conceal your posts from the very server you're uploading to? :P

I hadn't looked into it :dry:

So how do prolific posters / groups manage to upload all the time? Proxies?

I was just posting stuff that wasn't already uploaded for anyone else that was looking for it...:blink: I'm not a big fish!

anon
04-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Proxies would be useless, since posts can easily be tied to your account, so I don't really know.

Hypatia
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
1)via using different credit cards(im not gonna go into the details lol) thus being able to use multiple accounts
If one gets posting disabled or banned totally- so what? =)
2) using Astraweb that doesnt care ATM

anon
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
They can't be too strict either, otherwise no one would pay for access.

MarionM
04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Their maybe something to be said - If you are uber paranoid - for signing up with a company out of your own country. If you are in Europe - Giganews or UsenetServer/Newshosting maybe good choice. Also Astraweb, at least thier company, is structured in Singapore. I hope that help

zot
04-09-2011, 01:09 AM

Proxies would be useless, since posts can easily be tied to your account, so I don't really know.

Proxies should work just fine, provided that one is always used when connecting to the usenet account and the person's real IP address is never exposed. (Anonymous payment can be made using a prepaid debit card or gift card)

One problem I've run into using proxies/VPNs is that some payment sites do not work, which I suspect could be due to either SSL incompatibilities or simply the IP address being blocked.

anon
04-09-2011, 02:18 AM
(Anonymous payment can be made using a prepaid debit card or gift card)

Then it's indeed possible. I didn't consider/know you could do that. :)

One problem I've run into using proxies/VPNs is that some payment sites do not work, which I suspect could be due to either SSL incompatibilities or simply the IP address being blocked.

A VPN only creates an encrypted tunnel to a remote network, and shouldn't give any trouble with HTTPS sites per se. I can't comment much on public proxies (of which there's more than one kind - CGI/PHP scripts hosted on a server, slow public HTTPs, and fast SOCKS4/5 ones), where it is likely a combination of both factors, depending on which one you use.

zot
04-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Before subscription VPN services sprang up, there were SOCKS/HTTP proxy based services using a proprietary client. (HTTP-Tunnel is one of the early ones which comes to mind). These first-generation "hide-your-IP" services were very limited in what they could do. No support of HTTPS sites. No support of UDP protocol. Etc. Using them with P2P was hit-and-miss. It might have been the free version of ItsHidden VPN I was using that was drawing a blank on a HTTPS site or two, I can't remember, maybe the IP was banned. (the IP was indeed banned from Wikipedia -as was my home ISP's entire IP address range)

But back to what I was saying before. ... Newshosting (or any provider) could easily log all IP addresses used when connecting to the service -- not just the IP addresses used for posting (which is the action that gets people in trouble) and store them forever. A few years ago Ngroups/Usenet-news started listing all IP addresses connected from in their user-control panel, but they may have been logging them for years before that, for all I know. Therefore, people who might use a proxy/VPN whenever posting naughty stuff - but not when downloading- are basically just wasting their time and effort. Like they say, chain is only as good as its weakest link. :)