PDA

View Full Version : Beeping PC

Silver_Dales
08-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi all, wierd problem started today. My PC has started to make these wierd beeping and clicking sounds every now and then as though it is doing something. I cant figure out whats going on and I'm not exactly clued up on the deeper workings of PC's which doesn't help. There doesn't appear to be any obvious effect on performance but as I said I don't know.
Any ideas?
Cheers

Colt Seevers
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Is it the same sorta beeping sound, like your PC makes when you start PC before windows loads in? if it's doing that then you could have a problem. If it's anything else (like clicking) this may just be a fan has clapped out.

Silver_Dales
08-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Its a bit like when the PC loads up but is random while I'm using it,

Colt Seevers
08-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Have you checked your temps when these beeps happen? If thats all ok, i'm not sure..

Silver_Dales
08-29-2006, 08:47 PM
The CPU and MB temps don't change when it beeps.

limesqueezer
08-30-2006, 12:03 AM
You need to find out if it is a software or a hardware problem. Boot to a floppy and than you know. If it stops beeping than it is a software problem.

Silver_Dales
08-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Right I'm gonna sound reeeaaally noobish, how do I boot to floppy? sorry if that is really basic.
Cheers

zapjb
08-30-2006, 01:03 PM
You'll need to enter your system BIOS setup and make your Floppy drive a higher boot priority than your hard disk.

Barbarossa
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
You'll also need to create a floppy boot disk :smilie4:

Appzalien
08-30-2006, 04:17 PM
This happened to me once but for the life of me I can't remember what it was, something that was running in the background I think. I may have checked task manager and found the beeb and cpu usage link and then stopped that service from starting automatically (put it on manual).

Tempestv
08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
run it in safe mode- that will kill the vast majority of background processes- if the sound stops, it's caused by one of your background processes.

Silver_Dales
08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Ok I ran it in Safe Mode and it made no diference. I take it that means bad news.

Appzalien
08-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Her's something I found on another forum:

My Computer is Beeping Every Ten Minutes...
JCP May-10-02 11:35 AM
In response to message 7

The problem has been solved! Thanks to Brian and Larry's suggestions, I tested my system in both the BIOS screen as well as the Safe Mode. There was no beeping evident in either screen. So it looked like a software problem...probably XP. So I started digging and exploring XP left and right, and I discovered a little thing called Event Viewer. Here I noticed a frequent error that kept popping up every few minutes...IPSEC can't be found or something. So I went into Start, Run, then services.msc and tried starting and stopping anything that looked like it might be causing that problem. I eventually found the sucker, and as soon as I enabled it, the errors went away COMPLETELY. No more beeping. And my system is running as smooth as silk and extremely fast. I really want to thank Brian and Larry for responding and for really trying to solve my problem. Other sites were quick to blame my board or memory...but you guys took a logical approach, and now my system is fixed. Thanks again.
JCP

So maybe event viewer can help you as well to determine whats causing the error beep.