PDA

View Full Version : Question about Windows XP Home

Skiz
09-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I bought a new version of XP Home off of eBay, and when I received it, I noticed in small print on one side it says:

Licensed for distribution only to specific countries within Middle East and Africa.

It appears to be the same as any "American" version I've seen. It's in English and all. Is there any difference, or should I ask for a refund or what? :unsure:

I don't want to open it until I'm sure I'm going to keep it. :ermm:

limesqueezer
09-01-2006, 12:24 AM
It could be that it will be in some other language when you finish installation. I once installed chinese xp and couldn't change it to english inside windows.

Skiz
09-01-2006, 12:36 AM
It could be that it will be in some other language when you finish installation. I once installed chinese xp and couldn't change it to english inside windows.

I don't think it will be in a different language as everything on the cover is in English. I just don't want to install it and it isn't setup for my "American" keyboard or something. When I was in Mexico, their keyboards were setup completely different except for the letters. I have no idea what issues could be underlying, that's why I'm asking though.

limesqueezer
09-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Mexican keyboard is probably the same like in Spain, sounds logical that it might not be american, but you could probably change that.

peat moss
09-01-2006, 01:25 AM
You get what you pay for . But you can change thru setup , I would 'nt worry that , it's the Key that would scare me .

zapjb
09-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I'd say it might be missing some crytographic functionability. As a security obligation M$ and other US corps are not allowed to export certain technologies to certain countries.

peat moss
09-01-2006, 11:26 AM
My first thought was he bought it from Al Qaeda , then again I'm such a paranoid old fart . :D

Skiz
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd say it might be missing some crytographic functionability. As a security obligation M$ and other US corps are not allowed to export certain technologies to certain countries.

What's crytographic functionability? :geek:

zapjb
09-01-2006, 12:56 PM
From http://dictionary.reference.com/

3 results for: cryptographic

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source new!
cryp‧tog‧ra‧phy [krip-tog-ruh-fee] Pronunciation Key
–noun
1. the science or study of the techniques of secret writing, esp. code and cipher systems, methods, and the like. Compare cryptanalysis (def. 2).
2. the procedures, processes, methods, etc., of making and using secret writing, as codes or ciphers.
3. anything written in a secret code, cipher, or the like.

Barbarossa
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
How many results for functionability :blink:

Skiz
09-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Response from seller:

Hello!

The product you received it 100% genuine and legal to use in the USA. It is the Full OEM version and is identical to all the retail versions you could purchase on the shelves at stores like Best Buy. We purchased this product in bulk directly from Microsoft and sometimes they send us things that may be labeled slightly different (like distribution only to certain countries). Microsoft sells these to us when they have a surplus of this product and they have fully authorized the use of these in the USA. Everything is in english and you still can download all the updates directly through Microsoft (there is no difference).
Please feel safe in knowing that both Microsoft & ZTech back your product.

Feel free to email us if you have any other questions at all!

-ZTechSoftware

Well, here goes nothing! Wish me luck. I'll post back with results. :)

Virtualbody1234
09-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Why trust the seller? I wonder what Microsoft would have to say?

Skiz
09-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Why trust the seller? I wonder what Microsoft would have to say?

Well, I actually called Microsoft prior to receiving the sellers response:

First person (in India of course) quickly directed me over to tech-support here in the US.

Tech-supportwas quite nice. He said he'd never heard this problem before, but that if the packaging was the same as a US version, that it was indeed the same software, but for tax purposes, it needed to be marked for sale overseas. He wanted me to speak to someone in licensing though, so....

The woman in licensing stated coldly within five seconds that no, the software was different and there was no way it would work.

I think she has to say that as her job is in the licensing division - she's just doing her job. I trust the tech-support guys word more.

I'll soon see though.