PDA

View Full Version : anyone familiar with proxxon tools?

Tempestv
09-03-2006, 05:41 AM
I am looking at a proxxon detail sander/saw. I was wondering if anyone had any experence with this brand or even this tool. how about any of you over in europe, considering that proxxon comes from germany and has been avalable on that side of the pond longer. are they good tools? reasonably powerfull?

Gripper
09-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Never heard of them before,usually German stuff is good quality.
If you're buying cheap you won't get top quality,it'll probably do for light DIY.

j2k4
09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Without commenting on the quality of their toolage, why Proxxon?

Price-wise, it's middle-of-the-pack stuff, but what about service?

I'd wait until they're a genuine presence in the U.S. before I invest in a purchase.

Having said that, I do understand the urge to be the first on your block to own a Proxxon implement of whatever type.

It's a tool-guy thing.

EDIT:

I did some checking-the stuff looks okay, but I was struck that their rotary tools only spin 20K RPM, which is, again, typical for middle-of-the-pack, spec-wise.

Any old Dremel will turn 35K, and you can buy brushes for them at Wal-Mart.

tesco
09-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Any old Dremel will turn 35K, and you can buy brushes for them at Wal-Mart.You can buy the whole dremel at Wal-Mart, can you not?

j2k4
09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Any old Dremel will turn 35K, and you can buy brushes for them at Wal-Mart.You can buy the whole dremel at Wal-Mart, can you not?

Exactly so.

My point is that, while Wal-Mart also sells Skil, they do not sell repair parts for same.

Tempestv
09-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I am looking at the detail sander due to the fact that you can remove the sanding pad and put a saw blade on, which makes an extreamly usefull flushcut saw, as well as letting you cut right into corners and only cut one side of the corner, due to the fact that the blade does not turn, rather it vibrates. it's a very useful tool, and until now the only company that made anything like it was fein tools. however, the fein detail sander costs $280, while the proxxon goes for $120. that probably means some reductions somewhere, I just want to know if the proxxon is really less than half as good.

j2k4
09-03-2006, 05:43 PM
...the fein detail sander costs $280, while the proxxon goes for $120. that probably means some reductions somewhere, I just want to know if the proxxon is really less than half as good.

I would doubt that was the case, and if these two functions you desire are not combined in any other brand of tool, the price difference dictates your choice:

Buy the Proxxon.

Smith
09-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Dewalt ftw. All my dad has..very high quality..very durable. Dont buy it from a place like home depot thou..go to a dealer. Sometimes you can get refurbished stuff for cheap.

j2k4
09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Dewalt ftw. All my dad has..very high quality..very durable. Dont buy it from a place like home depot thou..go to a dealer. Sometimes you can get refurbished stuff for cheap.

DeWalt is fine, but doesn't make that particular tool.

Home Depot is a dealer.

Refurbs can save some cash, but I'd steer clear of re-chargeable stuff unless you have guaranteed RMA; they try to be sneaky with chancy battery packs and chargers, which are also occasionally defective.

tesco
09-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I love the dewalt cordless drills (18volt or 24volt). :)

j2k4
09-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Check these out.

http://www.rsci.com/milwaukee_power_tools_v28_cordless

tesco
09-03-2006, 10:29 PM
The company I worked for before had 1 set of those same exact tools except that the drill didn't work anymore (and they also had a milwaukee radio that charged batteries).
They even offered to give me the drill to see if I could fix it but I didn't know what to do. :P

I still think the dewalt is more durable.

edit: Oh, that's a 28volt. :O

j2k4
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
The company I worked for before had 1 set of those same exact tools except that the drill didn't work anymore (and they also had a milwaukee radio that charged batteries).
They even offered to give me the drill to see if I could fix it but I didn't know what to do. :P

I still think the dewalt is more durable.

edit: Oh, that's a 28volt. :O

I don't think anyone else is making lithium-ion batts for tools, yet either.

Why didn't they get the drill warranteed?

The V28s haven't been out long enough to be out of warranty yet, I don't think...

tesco
09-03-2006, 10:56 PM
The drill could have been about 5 years old or more...
Anyway the drill was just 1 of the tools in that set that broke so the rest were fine and they got their use out of it, plus they had plenty of other tools to use.

j2k4
09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
The drill could have been about 5 years old or more...
Anyway the drill was just 1 of the tools in that set that broke so the rest were fine and they got their use out of it, plus they had plenty of other tools to use.

Oh, I thought you were referring to a V28...

I have no problem with DeWalt, I have a couple of their drills, as well as two DeWalt radial-arm saws, which are the standard of that genre.

I have a variety of brands, tool-wise; have to grab what you can, when you can, unless you're bucks-up. :)

tesco
09-04-2006, 12:23 AM
My dad says he doesn't like dewalt because they used to be Black and Decker, is that true? :blink:
Our drill is a makita, works fine but I'd like a cordless one (will probably get a dewalt cordless one some day). :idunno:

Tempestv
09-04-2006, 03:40 AM
black and decker owns dewalt. doesn't mean that dewalt is any lower quality, but it does mean that some of B&D's stuff is based off of dewalt stuff, so if you do your homework, sometimes you can find B&D tools that are basicly rebranded dewalt tools but at B&D prices. the only example that I know that this is true for is one of B&D's cordless drills, not sure exactly which one, gonna have to find that artical in tools of the trade

Dewalt is in my opinion the best company out there- maybe not the best in every catigory, but pretty good everywhere, with many tools that are the best by far. both my dad's and my trucks have a lot of yellow tools in them.

and if you think milwaukee 28 volt is cool, dewalt has a 36 volt lithium-ion line out. the batterys are the same weight as the dewalt 18volt.
as for Lithium Ion, Makita and bosch have 18 volt lines out, bosch has a 10.8 volt cordless screwdriver, rigid makes a 24 volt line, as well as the aformentioned milwaukee 28 volt and dewalt 36 volt lines.

I am looking to get a cordless 18volt impact driver and drill soon- probably dewalt, Makita lithium-ion, or panasonic with the 3.5 amp hour batterys.

j2k4
09-04-2006, 09:48 AM
My dad says he doesn't like dewalt because they used to be Black and Decker, is that true? :blink:
Our drill is a makita, works fine but I'd like a cordless one (will probably get a dewalt cordless one some day). :idunno:

Dewalt was the original manufacturer of the radial arm saw, and back in the eighties B & D purchased Dewalt, making a few B & D/Dewalt saws before ceasing production.

In the 90s, B & D resurrected the name to trade on quality in represented, and here we are.

tesco
09-04-2006, 02:41 PM
both my dad's and my trucks have a lot of yellow tools in them.
:O What do you two do?

Dewalt was the original manufacturer of the radial arm saw, and back in the eighties B & D purchased Dewalt, making a few B & D/Dewalt saws before ceasing production.

In the 90s, B & D resurrected the name to trade on quality in represented, and here we are.
Thanks for the info.:)

Was dewalt always yellow or just since the 90s?

Tempestv
09-04-2006, 03:27 PM

construction- primarly remodels although I worked framing this summer

j2k4
09-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info.:)

Was dewalt always yellow or just since the 90s?

Dewalt was reborn yellow as an attention-grabber for display purposes and marketed as a visibility aid on-the-job.

My Dad's old Dewalt RAS (early 50s vintage) is kind of turquoise with white speckling.

My 70s model RAS is black and a kind of harvest gold.

My '82 Super-Duty long-arm RAS is black with white speckling.

Yeah, yellow was new in the 90s. :)

Tempestv
09-04-2006, 07:54 PM
J2, what do you do where you need two RAS?

j2k4
09-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Edit: double post

j2k4
09-04-2006, 08:44 PM
J2, what do you do where you need two RAS?

I don't-the Super-Duty is 3-phase/480V; I scavenged it in great shape, and I'm looking to deal it.

I don't have room to set it up for use anyway, it's a real monster; 900 lbs.-it can rip 48".

The equivalent saw (same castings) from Original Saw Company is about $9K.

I'm working on a little parlay with a guy down in Iowa.

Hell, if I could actually plug the damn thing in, I'd brown-out my whole neighborhood. :)

Tempestv
09-04-2006, 10:06 PM
how many amps does it draw?
48 inches- that's a panel saw

j2k4
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
how many amps does it draw?
48 inches- that's a panel saw

Not a panel saw, nosiree.

Free-run draw is about 13 amps @ 5HP, on up to whatever it would draw at developed HP (14).

Probably on the high side of 20 amps.

Here is a picture of the short-arm version of the same saw, which will out-rip a little over 40".

http://www.exfactory.com/seephoto.aspx?photo=SR/01064801.JPG&recnum=SR%2D010648

tesco
09-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Panel saws go straight only and are basically a circular saw mounted on a large table type thing, aren't they?
Or is that something different?

j2k4
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Panel saws go straight only and are basically a circular saw mounted on a large table type thing, aren't they?
Or is that something different?

Yeah-a panel saw is little but an almost vertical easel-style frame to hold (for ex.) a 4X8, and mounts a circular saw to do the cutting.

What I have is every bit the traditional RAS, but very heavy-duty and over-sized, though only large enough to cross-cut perhaps 36".

It can rip over 4', though.

As I said, it weighs about 900 lbs.

My little 10" model weighs perhaps 100 lbs. by comparison.

Tempestv
09-05-2006, 02:57 AM
@J2, according to my math, at 460 volts, 14hp is equal to 22.7 amps. anyways I saw that it rips 48 inches and figured the same for cross cut, which would be wide enough to cut sheetgoods, which would mean that you could use it as as a panel saw. that's what i ment. ether way, it's a massive saw.

Proper Bo
09-05-2006, 03:00 AM
http://www.khubani.net/vishal/uploaded_images/pic02-710036.jpg
yup

j2k4
09-05-2006, 09:46 AM
@J2, according to my math, at 460 volts, 14hp is equal to 22.7 amps. anyways I saw that it rips 48 inches and figured the same for cross cut, which would be wide enough to cut sheetgoods, which would mean that you could use it as as a panel saw. that's what i ment. ether way, it's a massive saw.

Your math reflects my guess.

Since I didn't do the math, that's pretty good. :)

The bigger rip figure is due to the blade swing in out-rip, plus the rip-fence moves toward the column.

BTW-Bo-

You're right.

Us Americans, huh?

manker
09-05-2006, 09:49 AM
My parents bought me a tool-box and drill set when I bought my house over six years ago. I've used the screwdrivers a couple of times when I needed to get inside my PC.

They're orange.

j2k4
09-05-2006, 09:52 AM
My parents bought me a tool-box and drill set when I bought my house over six years ago. I've used the screwdrivers a couple of times when I needed to get inside my PC.

They're orange.

They sound fan-tastic.

Off to work, now.

manker
09-05-2006, 09:54 AM

They're orange.

They sound fan-tastic.Interesting, huh.

Orange. Whoda thunk it.

Barbarossa
09-05-2006, 10:25 AM
I have a ratchet screwdriver set with 8 different screw-type attachments, and also a flexible attachment that twists in different directions for those hard-to-reach screw heads.

I can literally screw round corners :smilie4:

Proper Bo
09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
I've got one of those screwdrivers sets you get for £2 after spending £30 on petrol and it does teh jawb fine:snooty:

DanB
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I have 2 screwdrivers with magnetic heads that I acquired from an old flat mate. Its quit handy for not losing screws in your pc when you've just taken them out. :smilie4:

Proper Bo
09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Ja but isn't the magnetism supposed to fuck things inside your pc?:unsure:

Barbarossa
09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I forgot to mention that my screwdriver also has a magnetic head, an in-built FM radio, and rocket-launchers. :smilie4:

Proper Bo
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah? Well mine's usb powered:snooty:

Barbarossa
09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Mine's nuclear powered, and projects holographic pictures of naked ladies in thin air, R2D2 stylee :smilie4:

DanB
09-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Ja but isn't the magnetism supposed to fuck things inside your pc?:unsure:

it hasn't yet and they are hardly uber-powerful magnets :huh:

j2k4
09-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Mine's got huge bewbs. :)

tesco
09-05-2006, 10:45 PM
They sound fan-tastic.Interesting, huh.

Orange. Whoda thunk it.
:OCan I haves them?
Mine are just shatty old blue. :cry:
For some reason they're all just blue except for the red and green robb'y bits which have red and green stripes on them.
I wish the rest would too so I could tell what is what.:rolleyes:

Snee
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Hammer > screw driver.

Tempestv
09-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Hammer > screw driver.

Nailgun > Hammer