PDA

View Full Version : RIAA Drops Lawsuit against woman when countersuit claims "extortion" tactics

Darth Sushi
09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/592/riaa1fs0.jpgThursday, August 24, 2006

RIAA Drops Stubbs Case in Oklahoma One Day After Receiving Defendant's Answer & Counterclaim!

In Warner v. Stubbs, in Oklahoma, the defendant filed her answer and counterclaim against the RIAA on August 23, 2006. In it she likened the RIAA's tactics to "extortion".

The very next day, on August 24, 2006, the RIAA turned around and asked the Judge for permission to withdraw its case:

Plaintiffs' Motion to Dismiss* (http://www.ilrweb.com/viewILRPDF.asp?filename=warner_stubbs_motwithdraw)

:source: Source: http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2006/08/riaa-drops-stubbs-case-in-oklahoma-one.html

FreeDoom
09-03-2006, 09:54 PM
LOL, love the picture.
I wonder what will be the next tactic of RIAA once everyone starts to sue them for things like this...:lol:

Hairbautt
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Note to self: Remember this post.

ownage
09-04-2006, 12:38 AM
great :D

lynx
09-04-2006, 02:50 AM
The problem is (as I've said before) that the defendant is left with their own legal bills.

It's actually a disgraceful system. If the defendant were a business the plaintiff could drive the defendant into bankruptcy without ever having to produce a shred of evidence that their original lawsuit had any merit.

ownage
09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
The problem is (as I've said before) that the defendant is left with their own legal bills.

It's actually a disgraceful system. If the defendant were a business the plaintiff could drive the defendant into bankruptcy without ever having to produce a shred of evidence that their original lawsuit had any merit.

"oh the legal sytem interpretations.."

namzuf9
09-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Its just as I thought (and may have mentioned in these very forums, I dunno it's been a long time!) As soon as someone seriously stands up to the RIAA/BPI/MPAA their silly little campaigns will turn to dust.
I just hope that the counter-claim is successful to let them know that people will no longer be stamped on by huge bullies and their resources.:angry:

digitrifecta
09-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Glad to hear about this.....Im so tired of those self rightious bastards pushing decent people around, I think some one should start a non profit fund that would be used to help those who cant afford attorneys when they get persecuted by the mpaa/riaa

suprafreak6
09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
can they put addresses from a legal document online? haha thats funny you can go to that guys house, be like heyyyy

g0tnwa
09-11-2006, 06:21 AM

This is a good point and really does exemplify how the RIAA's scheme really is extortion. They file a lawsuit hoping to settle out of court and make you pay money or they file a lawsuit and you hire a lawyer to fight it, making you pay money. It really is disgusting.