PDA

View Full Version : Update BIOS?

Smith
09-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Man this new computer is just one headache after another. Ive been doing some research and it seems this mobo is having alot of problems..specifically dealing with ram and stability. Ive been having random crashes in games and such so Im wondering if its the mobo.

I was directed to ASUS's latest bios update for this..and I dont know how to install it. The zip file has a BIN in it..is this for mounting onto a CD?

Thanks.

Virtualbody1234
09-04-2006, 03:35 AM
No the bin file is not a CD image.

You need to get a BIOS flash utility and follow all the instructions provided by Asus.

If you're unsure about anything then don't proceed. Get someone to help you.

Smith
09-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Would you help me? Where can I find this bios flash utility. Hoe do I go about doing this?

Virtualbody1234
09-04-2006, 04:58 AM
Specify what model motherbard you have. Is it the M2N-E?

What BIOS rev. does your board currently have and what rev. were you wanting?

Check here: http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

lynx
09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Although I think it is unlikely to be the motherboard, updating the bios can't do any harm as long as you are careful.

Since you can get into windows, I recommend using the Winflash utility - you should find a copy on your motherboard cd.
It will identify your motherboard, connect to the Asus site and download the correct latest bios for your board and install it for you - nothing could be easier.

peat moss
09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I could never get that Winflash utility to connect to the Asus site , and don't like the idea of flashing in windows . I'd rather put it on a floppy and flash the Bios , after backing up the old one first of course .

clocker
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I love the WinFlash utility and have never had a problem using it.
If you dig up and download the BIOS you want first, you can point WF at it and not have to deal with it's inability to connect to the Asus site.

peat moss
09-04-2006, 01:54 PM
It has a warranty maybe a good idea to return it . "You" should n't have to flash the Bios .

zapjb
09-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Crap. I can't find Winflash utility. Even on Google. I don't know if it's freeware or not. Link please if freeware. And PM if not. Thanks.

peat moss
09-04-2006, 02:24 PM
I 'v only seen it on my Asus Driver & Utility CD .

Maybe here Zap :

ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/utility/

zapjb
09-04-2006, 02:50 PM
No go. But thanks peat.

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7NVM400 Rev 2.xx

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1.00 11/25/2003

None of those WinFlash work here.

Virtualbody1234
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM
I could never get that Winflash utility to connect to the Asus site , and don't like the idea of flashing in windows . I'd rather put it on a floppy and flash the Bios , after backing up the old one first of course .
I haven't ever had the Winflash utility connect to the site either but I do like the idea of flashing within Windows. Just have to download the BIOS update onto the hard drive and point the utility to the file.

I'd rather not use a floppy to flash the BIOS. I find that floppies are too unreliable for the task. Think about what happens if, half way through the update, it can't read the file. :angry:

lynx
09-04-2006, 02:57 PM
The latest version of winflash (it is actually called AsusUpdate) is available here:
ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AsusUpdt70705.zip

Warning: it is a very poor server, you may want to use a download manager to maintain the link.

peat moss
09-04-2006, 03:16 PM
The latest version of winflash (it is actually called AsusUpdate) is available here:
ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AsusUpdt70705.zip

Warning: it is a very poor server, you may want to use a download manager to maintain the link.

Ya your right Lynx I just checked my Asus cd its version 5.15.01 but ran it and got on to the Asus site which updated to 7. o ? But found an old version here aswell .

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ASUS_LiveUpdate_d4435.html

zapjb
09-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks lynx. Got it.

But I get this message:

Sorry, there's no proper BIOS image files on the server!

What the hell does that mean?

My BIOs is dated 11/25/2003.

There should be an update. :huh:

peat moss
09-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Mabye your mobo does n't have a newer one ? It tryed to give me an older one 1007 , I have 1010 . 2005/09/08

lynx
09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
All I get now is "too many users on specified server, please try again later", yet if I use a normal ftp link I have no problems connecting.

The Asus website used to be one of the best manufacturer's sites - although it was always a bit slow it was usually accurate and everything was available - none of this "it's on the cd" nonsense.

It's been reorganised and now I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 - painfully slow, inaccurate and if you can't find your installation cd they don't want to know.

If you look at the Asus general forum page, just about every post is about the dreadful speeds. I was just thinking about getting a new Asus motherboard, but if this is an example of what they call support I think I'll look elsewhere.

Smith
09-04-2006, 07:06 PM
This seems complicated and scarry. I updated my mobo drivers yesterday as I was typing this post. Things seem to be okay now...seem lol.

peat moss
09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
This seems complicated and scarry. I updated my mobo drivers yesterday as I was typing this post. Things seem to be okay now...seem lol.

But my young friend look how much you'v learned this weekend . :lol:

Virtualbody1234
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
... yesterday as I was typing this post...

How could you post a present day post "yesterday"???
Doesn't "this post" refer to the post you just made. :wacko: :blink:

lynx
09-04-2006, 11:54 PM
... yesterday as I was typing this post...

Doesn't "this post" refer to the post you just made. :wacko: :blink:He could have typed it yesterday and posted it today. ;)

Chewie
09-05-2006, 12:52 AM
All I get now is "too many users on specified server, please try again later", yet if I use a normal ftp link I have no problems connecting.

The Asus website used to be one of the best manufacturer's sites - although it was always a bit slow it was usually accurate and everything was available - none of this "it's on the cd" nonsense.

It's been reorganised and now I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 - painfully slow, inaccurate and if you can't find your installation cd they don't want to know.

If you look at the Asus general forum page, just about every post is about the dreadful speeds. I was just thinking about getting a new Asus motherboard, but if this is an example of what they call support I think I'll look elsewhere.I love my M2N32-sliDLWE to bits but the Asus support site is an arse with a capital Ar.Every link you click opens another window unnecessarily.
I got one of their 7300 gfx cards with the mobo and it came with no manual (disc or hardcopy) but the only one on the support site is in French. All I wanted to do was find out whether the RGB-coloured SVCD->3wire adapter would be OK to connect to the telly but it took three weeks of emails (they only respond on a Friday, you know) for me to find out that blue is video.
The forums are horribly slow and there are too may sections.

Doesn't "this post" refer to the post you just made. :wacko: :blink:He could have typed it yesterday and posted it today. ;)Saved it to his desktop because Windows needed to reboot?
:)

Duffman
09-05-2006, 02:50 AM
best place to start here would be to swap in another motherboard and test everything out, if it works fine then call the manufacturer and tell them you swapped it and that its def the board, I had one that was partially broken, and one of the ram slots was buggy, drove me nuts.