PDA

View Full Version : XP wont detect video card

SingaBoiy
09-06-2006, 04:14 AM
I just got a Geforce 6200 128 MB video card for an old system. On boot-up it detects it and the monitor receives the signal fine but XP does not detect the card. I have tried removing all traces of any ATI/nVidia cards and even just finished a repair install to no sucess.

Nothing appears in Device Manager. It doesnt even list Display Adapter in Device Manager. I cant install the drivers because it says there is no recognized hardware and setup closes.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Skiz
09-06-2006, 04:24 AM
I just got a Geforce 6200 128 MB video card for an old system. On boot-up it detects it and the monitor receives the signal fine but XP does not detect the card. I have tried removing all traces of any ATI/nVidia cards and even just finished a repair install to no sucess.

Nothing appears in Device Manager. It doesnt even list Display Adapter in Device Manager. I cant install the drivers because it says there is no recognized hardware and setup closes.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Does it required additional power from the PSU?
Is it in the AGP slot firmly?
Do you have the latest NVidia driver?
Does the fan spin on the card when powered up?

peat moss
09-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Don't know for sure ,but drivers would be my guess . I'd try ,in Device Manager, " Update Drivers " ? Then when the wizard asks for drivers or the disk you have a better idea if it fails .

SingaBoiy
09-06-2006, 06:17 AM
@Skizo - No additional power is needed from card. It is in the AGP slot all the way. I have the latest drivers, also the disk that came with the card. No fan on the card.

@ peat moss - There is no Display Adapters option in device manager. Cant update the driver cause of this. Cant add the device manually.

suprafreak6
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
how was the computer running before, you should put it like that, get updated drivers for your new graphics card, then install the new hardware

SingaBoiy
09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
how was the computer running before, you should put it like that, get updated drivers for your new graphics card, then install the new hardware

It was running with an older nvidia graphics card. It didnt detect that one either.

Drivers wont do anything. Ive already tried the latest drivers.

Chewie
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Have you installed any motherboard chipset drivers? Anything to do with the AGP bus could be something to check.
What about a BIOS update? Is yours the latest version and, if not, do later versions address compatibilty issues?
Is the gfx card AGP8x and, if so, is this set in the BIOS? Some BIOSes have a setting to change between 2x & 4x/8x if the board supports all types.

Just a few things for you to chew over.

lynx
09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Is there a hidden display adapter?

To find out, go to device manager and select view/show hidden devices.
If it (or another display adapter) is there, delete it then reboot.

SingaBoiy
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I cant find any drivers for this POS motherboard. Its PCChips M811.

Everything is setup correct in the bios. Told device manager to show hidden items and nothing for display adatper.

ranjikvp
09-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Try disabling the onboard display card in BIOS and then maybe it will allow you to install the external display card without any issues

SingaBoiy
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Have you installed any motherboard chipset drivers?

Something I didnt think of. It worked! Got the VIA 4 in 1 and everything is working now.

Chewie
09-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Probably GART...
/me wonders if they'll notice the bluffing...

ahmed84h
02-18-2007, 11:07 AM
1- Plug out the card and then plug it in another slot on the mother board.
2- Try to check the card on another computer.

Virtualbody1234
02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
1- Plug out the card and then plug it in another slot on the mother board.
2- Try to check the card on another computer.:frusty: :frusty:

Again that doesn't help.

There's only one AGP slot.

And even more importantly, the problem was solved! 09-07-2006

It worked! Got the VIA 4 in 1 and everything is working now.

Stop bumping old threads!

ram82082
02-20-2007, 07:55 PM
^y r u a dik?

mr. nails
02-21-2007, 03:09 PM
get rid of the 4in1's! get the hyperions. u may think u don't need them, but all-in-all they are better drivers. i also have a via chipset and i recommend the 5.11a's. if ur happy then nvm.

peat moss
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
^y r u a dik?

If your going to insult someone use proper grammar .

Why are you being a dick head ? :)

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/