PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious

Skweeky
09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I work for a credit card company and I speak to a lot of idiots, on a daily basis, but this one was the best I've heard so far.

A woman phoned up and said she had a query regarding her funding.
She asked me what account her money was coming out of

I checked the account and advised her she had not set up a direct debit and that if she would wish to do so I could pass her on to Customer Services and they could certainly arrange that for her.

She seemed to be rather confused about this so I asked her if that was what she wanted to do before passing her over.

She replied by saying ' I just don't understand. I've just received a letter from you today saying that I have £8000 to spend. But I never gave anyone £8000. Where did that money come from?' :lol: :lol:

DanB
09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
If you work for Barcalycard or CapitalOne and they ask you to phone me please don't. :)

Snee
09-07-2006, 12:42 AM
And can you help Doris with her troubles?

MagicNakor
09-07-2006, 05:38 AM
Sounds like she may have been an older lady. ;)

:shuriken:

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Naw, she was 20 something. I would've found it endearing if it were an older lady

DorisInsinuate
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't understand why it's funny :dabs:

Dark Steno
09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
It's funny tho'. :lol:

DorisInsinuate
09-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Oh, is it funny because she put two lollies at the end?

:lol: :lol: prison rape :lol: :lol:

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Because she has a credit card but she doesn't understand what credit is

DorisInsinuate
09-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh, the £8000 is her credit?

Still don't get it. Would have been funny if you called her plebend.

Barbarossa
09-07-2006, 12:58 PM

So did you give her the £8000 then or what? :blink:

Gripper
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Credit cards are the spawn of Satan I'll have ye know.

DorisInsinuate
09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I've never understood that, probably because I've never had a credit card, what's so bad about them?

Snee
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Lolzrorf, that lady is prolly gonna' end up living on the streets and eating cardboard since she doesn't understand how credit works, rorfmao.

And old people are stupid, lol.

Let's kick them if they fall over.

CrabGirl
09-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I get complaints like "That case of wine I drank last night gave me a headache. It must have been faulty. I want my money back."

And we'll refund them too!

Snee
09-07-2006, 03:16 PM

That's just 'cos you don't work for a company that probably makes the bulk of its earnings from the fact that a lot of people are too short-sighted, to not get themselves in debt, feeding on their future misery as it were.

If you did, you'd prolly be laughing too if someone too young, too inexperienced, or too naive bought into that your company worded it as if the credit she had was money she owned, on her credit-report or w/e.

"OMG, this is too is easy...there's one born every minute...lolololol"

Besides, stupid people should be our slaves, we should ride them like ponies and have them do our work for us. Fact.

DorisInsinuate
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
You're being quite cynical today.

Snee
09-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Bitch.

Barbarossa
09-07-2006, 03:20 PM
You're being quite cynical today.

Fixed.

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM

That's just 'cos you don't work for a company that probably makes the bulk of its earnings from the fact that a lot of people are too short-sighted, to not get themselves in debt, feeding on their future misery as it were.

If you did, you'd prolly be laughing too if someone too young, too inexperienced, or too naive bought into that your company worded it as if the credit she had was money she owned, on her credit-report or w/e.

"OMG, this is too is easy...there's one born every minute...lolololol"

Besides, stupid people should be our slaves, we should ride them like ponies and have them do our work for us. Fact.

Couple of simple rules of common sense:

1. You want to spend money that's not your own, you pay the price. Simple as that.

2. Don't apply for anything unless you know what you're applying for

It's like CrabGirl said, are you going to complain to the bartender because you have a hangover in the morning?

It's a business like anything else

Cheese
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I get complaints like "That case of wine I drank last night gave me a headache. It must have been faulty. I want my money back."

And we'll refund them too!

Speaking of which, can you phone me at work.

Proper Bo
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
evil corporate puppet:no2:

Snee
09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Or...you could try and not exploit the fact that some people have lapses in their common sense.

There's no point to credit cards beyond the fact that they let you spend money that isn't your own. And then you, as you say, pay the price. So really, if common sense reigned supreme, there wouldn't be much of a business for those sorts of companies to begin with. I reckon that they ARE counting on the fact that some people don't always think things through.

And you know, by calling her an idiot just 'cos she doesn't get something, when she's wondering why it looks as if she has money she doesn't have (and I DO think that has to do with the wording of whatever she's looked at), well that's not altogether nice.

And she wasn't spending any of that money either, she was wondering why your company told her she had it.

Proper Bo
09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
based on my credit history, I've qualified for numerous platinum credit cards, even when I was 15:dabs:

lynx
09-07-2006, 03:52 PM

You still haven't explained where the £8000 came from. :huh:

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
LMAO

The £8000 is just credit.

And SnnY,

you can sit there and blame all the big corporations for whatever is wrong with the world, but that, in my opinion is indeed naive and childish.

Everyone is resposible for their own actions. This woman applied for a credit card by phone. Meaning that she would have to speak to one of the advisors for at least 15 minutes, who, in their turn, have to make her aware of all the interest rates that can possibly apply on her card along with numerous legal disclaimers.

She gets a letter a week later stating what type of card she has been approved for, again explaining quite clearly what costs or charges apply for it. She then has to sign that and return it to us.

After doing that she receives her card which she CANNOT use until she activates the thing, hence talking to another advisor who will AGAIN advise her of the interest rates on her account and advise her of the date she will have to pay the balance in order to avoid paying interest.

So

All in all this woman has had at least 3 occasions to either read the whole thing or ask questions about it when she was on the phone.

If, after explaining 3 times what exactly she is getting herself into, she only then wonders where the money comes from, then yes, in my opinion she is a bit of a simpleton.

Besides, to get an £8K inital credit limit is pretty rare, I don't think she was exactly a poor person.

Barbarossa
09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I tried to cancel my credit card once, and asked them to refund me the remaining balance of my credit limit, but they wouldn't do it.

Bastard thieving scuzzy whores :angry:

{I}{K}{E}
09-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I tried to cancel my credit card once, and asked them to refund me the remaining balance of my credit limit, but they wouldn't do it.

Bastard thieving scuzzy whores :angry:

Why not? :huh:

Barbarossa
09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I dunno :idunno:

It seemed like a reasonable request to me. I guess it just goes to show you can't trust credit card companies, they're the spawn of Satan :nono:

Busyman
09-07-2006, 04:24 PM
I play the credit game on occasion.

They'll offer 0% for a year (or more) and I'll take them up on it and pay the shit off by the time 0% wears off....or transfer the balance to another card.

Many times stores will give 0%. I bought my car (stayed 0), washer and dryer (0% for a year), big screen TV (0% for 2 years), and lawn tractor (0% for 1 year). All except the TV are paid off, otherwise if I leave 1 cent on the bill I'll get billed the entire compounded interest. I gotta pay $2200 by January or get billed over $1100 in interest.:pinch:

Snee
09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
LMAO

The £8000 is just credit.

And SnnY,

you can sit there and blame all the big corporations for whatever is wrong with the world, but that, in my opinion is indeed naive and childish.

Everyone is resposible for their own actions. This woman applied for a credit card by phone. Meaning that she would have to speak to one of the advisors for at least 15 minutes, who, in their turn, have to make her aware of all the interest rates that can possibly apply on her card along with numerous legal disclaimers.

She gets a letter a week later stating what type of card she has been approved for, again explaining quite clearly what costs or charges apply for it. She then has to sign that and return it to us.

After doing that she receives her card which she CANNOT use until she activates the thing, hence talking to another advisor who will AGAIN advise her of the interest rates on her account and advise her of the date she will have to pay the balance in order to avoid paying interest.

So

All in all this woman has had at least 3 occasions to either read the whole thing or ask questions about it when she was on the phone.

If, after explaining 3 times what exactly she is getting herself into, she only then wonders where the money comes from, then yes, in my opinion she is a bit of a simpleton.

Besides, to get an £8K inital credit limit is pretty rare, I don't think she was exactly a poor person.

Sorry, but whatever she is, your company is ultimately exploiting her. And for that matter, companies like yours thrive on misdirection, so I'm still betting it seemed like it was actual money she had. And since she didn't get it, she asked about it, which was waaay better than spending the money, and then asking about it. And you are laughing at her, calling her an idiot, and now a simpleton.

Responsible for her own actions or not, your company is still counting on her lapse of judgement (and applying for a credit card is a lapse of judgement all on its own).

I'm not blaming all big corporations for what's wrong in the world now, or ever, in this case I'm talking about the ones who exploit naivetee, or idiocy, to put it your way, to make money.

Busyman
09-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Responsible for her own actions or not, your company is still counting on her lapse of judgement (and applying for a credit card is a lapse of judgement all on its own).
What's wrong with credit cards?:unsure:

Snee
09-07-2006, 05:24 PM

I suppose, that if someone is savvy enough to use them for the elite-haxness you are, there's nothing wrong about them :idunno:

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
If you apply for a CREDIT card, and we tell you on 3 occasions that you'll have to pay INTEREST on what you spend from that CREDIT. Then how can that possibly be exploiting?

I don't have credit cards because I'm a nightmare with money.

This company merely offers a service. She doesn't have to spend the money, she doesn't pay anything for having the card, she'll get money back when she spends anything, even if she doesn't pay interest on it at all.

My statement stands. How can it be a lapse of judgement on her part after being explained what it is 3 times?
You don't seem to understand that we are not allowed to word any of our disclaimers or letter dubiously. They get checked on a very regular basis by FSA. banking code and every now and then the DPA as well.

She applied for something without knowing what is was, hence she qualifies for a stupidity award.

Busyman
09-07-2006, 05:41 PM

I suppose, that if someone is savvy enough to use them for the elite-haxness you are, there's nothing wrong about them :idunno:

Well my thought was that credit cards are not bad but the fault lies in one's own irresponsibility.

I don't pay cash for anything unless I physically have to. I pay my charges during the grace period. It builds credit loike.

Usually those that don't want credit cards know that they'll fuck up.

Snee
09-07-2006, 05:52 PM
If you apply for a CREDIT card, and we tell you on 3 occasions that you'll have to pay INTEREST on what you spend from that CREDIT. Then how can that possibly be exploiting?

I don't have credit cards because I'm a nightmare with money.

This company merely offers a service. She doesn't have to spend the money, she doesn't pay anything for having the card, she'll get money back when she spends anything, even if she doesn't pay interest on it at all.

My statement stands. How can it be a lapse of judgement on her part after being explained what it is 3 times?
You don't seem to understand that we are not allowed to word any of our disclaimers or letter dubiously. They get checked on a very regular basis by FSA. banking code and every now and then the DPA as well.

She applied for something without knowing what is was, hence she qualifies for a stupidity award.

It seems to me she didn't make a connection between the money your company said she had left to spend, and her credit.

She might have thunk you'd screwed up and put her down for a huge deposit, or something equally odd.

I hardly think you can be sure of exactly where she was coming from, and automatically label her an idiot. And even she truly hadn't understood that, it's the job of your advisors to make sure she did, and since she was approved, your advisors/approval-people can't have been doing their job. Or, you know, they are counting on people like her to slip through the cracks.

Hell, even the fact that she actually dared to ask says something that simple means that she risked embarassment, just to make sure she wasn't doing something wrong, or that you were.

Oh, what an idiot.

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
She STILL applied for something without knowing what it was.
Why would you do that?
We don't do tv campaigns, we don't walk around in shopping centres or whatever to try and sign people up, in fact, the only times we've been in the press in the last few months is because we're one of the fairest companies around.

She asked a question that was completely irrelevant at the stage she was at. She applied for something, signed the paperwork and only THEN asked where the money came from.
I think even the village idiot these days knows not to sign anything unless you know what it says. So yes, we all had a good laugh about it at work.

We've all laughed at the jokes about people who use their disc drives as cup holders etc...
What's the difference?
She didn't know the bleedin' obvious.

Snee
09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
She STILL applied for something without knowing what it was.
Why would you do that?
We don't do tv campaigns, we don't walk around in shopping centres or whatever to try and sign people up, in fact, the only times we've been in the press in the last few months is because we're one of the fairest companies around.

She asked a question that was completely irrelevant at the stage she was at. She applied for something, signed the paperwork and only THEN asked where the money came from.
I think even the village idiot these days knows not to sign anything unless you know what it says. So yes, we all had a good laugh about it at work.

We've all laughed at the jokes about people who use their disc drives as cup holders etc...
What's the difference?
She didn't know the bleedin' obvious.

How do you know she didn't know what she was applying to? As I'm saying, she may just as well not have made the connection between "money you can spend" and credit, which after all is money you borrow.

And again, as I'm saying, she might think there's a cock-up with her deposit, or somesuch.

The old cup-holder joke always seemed like an urban legend to me, and even if if it wasn't, it probably wouldn't end up with someone being broke.

TBH, if I worked for a credit card-company, and I ran into someone that REALLY didn't seemed to have an inkling on what a credit card is, and who'd already signed up for it, I'd be very worried about what kind of people would let her sign at all.

There's no evidence she didn't know what she signed up for tho', she might just be wondering about where all that shiny money she thinks your company is holding for her comes from.

DanB
09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Skweeky, how on earth do you think people fall for the king of nigeria email scams? Don't think getting a letter from a credit card company saying fill in this and you can have £8k is pretty similar?

Agrajag
09-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I've got a credit card. It's nice to know that you always have a brazillion pounds in your wallet should you need it.

I've actually go a couple of credit cards.

Credit cards are fine, unless they are in the possession of an idiot.

So I probly shouldn't have one.

But I can't decide which one I shouldn't have.

Busyman
09-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Skweeky, how on earth do you think people fall for the king of nigeria email scams? Don't think getting a letter from a credit card company saying fill in this and you can have £8k is pretty similar?

People that fall for that are idiots too.:huh:

I have to agree with Skweeky. Unless this 20 year-old didn't fill out a credit card offer and/or never heard of a credit card, she's a dumbass.

Agrajag
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
A 20 year old getting an 8 kiloquid limit at the start is really rather weird.

Are you sure it wasn't daddy's card and she was another user.

Skweeky
09-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Naw, she was 20-something, I remember because she forgot her password so I had to ask her complete date of birth and her occupation.

And she didn't fill in anything. She made an application over the phone which mean that she first had to chose between about 6 different cards and thus us having to tell her the benefits of all of the things.

The fact that she had an initial 8K limit means that she HAS to have some sort of credit history, and a pretty good one too. We're pretty strict on that, in fact, we get a lot of people complaining their initial limit isn't high enough.

I feel sorry for people who naively apply for credit cards, spend the money and run up loads of debt they can't pay off.
I don't feel sorry for people who apply for something and don't understand what they are applying for. It's a stupid thing to do.

Agrajag
09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Naw, she was 20-something, I remember because she forgot her password so I had to ask her complete date of birth and her occupation.

And she didn't fill in anything. She made an application over the phone which mean that she first had to chose between about 6 different cards and thus us having to tell her the benefits of all of the things.

The fact that she had an initial 8K limit means that she HAS to have some sort of credit history, and a pretty good one too. We're pretty strict on that, in fact, we get a lot of people complaining their initial limit isn't high enough.

I feel sorry for people who naively apply for credit cards, spend the money and run up loads of debt they can't pay off.
I don't feel sorry for people who apply for something and don't understand what they are applying for. It's a stupid thing to do.

I agree with you. She's an idiot.

Busyman™
09-07-2006, 11:07 PM

Yeah I always tell folks to (unless they are to the game) ignore the 0% introductory offer.
Go straight to what the % rate will be afterwards.
Look at the method for computing purchases (2-cycle billing sucks ass). Check the grace period.
Note any perks after all-o-dat.

When people get credit cards they should have a plan and not treat it as money but as means to a goal (besides just buying shit willy-nilly).

We have trip ups like:

0% for one year or
transfer balance and get 5.9% for the life of balance or
card has a 8.9 fixed rate but

be late on one payment and we bend you over for 27%:pinch:

Note for anyone not to be late....set-up automatic payment either through your bank or the merchant.

Dark Steno
09-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Someone in Malaysia trying to do the samething.

MagicNakor
09-08-2006, 03:01 AM
My credit cards are pretty much only for emergencies. Of course, right now they're pretty much maxed out. <_<

:shuriken:

Barbarossa
09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
I always pay them off every month. I only use them for convenience, really.

I'm like, a model citizen :)

Skweeky
09-08-2006, 10:04 AM
And always remember your lowest interest rate balance gets paid off first. Don't take money out of the walls either and avoid using the things abroad.

As I said, I'm an absolute nightmare with money so I don't have any credit cards, I don't want them either because I KNOW I'll get myself in trouble. For the same reason I don't have any contracts or finance. Everything I own is mine and it will stay that way until I am certain I am old and wise enough to pay back whatever I owe at the end of the month.

Common sense, n'est-ce pas?

Busyman
09-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Most people don't have common sense. Point in fact, it shouldn't even be called common sense.:dry: