PDA

View Full Version : Vista RC1 5600

clocker
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Right here (http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm) if anyone wants it.

FreeDoom
09-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks, giving it a try in my second machine :D

clocker
09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
It is much better than Beta2.
Install time has decreased to about the same (maybe even slightly less) than XP.
Memory use has decreased about 25-30%- I'm only using 522MB at idle.
Pretty much everything seems to work.

tesco
09-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Cool thanks for the reminder...
After I read this thread I downloaded vista.

Will install it today since it's got such good reviews (compared to beta 2, etc.). :)

peat moss
09-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I was reading a story about the Readyboost feature this morning , that more than anything has me curious about Vista .

Tempestv
09-09-2006, 04:33 PM
I had already downloaded it, although it may be a little bit until i get around to installing it

tesco
09-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I installed it a few hours ago. It's great, wayyyyy better than beta 2. :D

I had some problems at first with partition magic screwing up my partition table so I had to reinstall windows xp so that I could instll partition magic and get it to fix what it broke.
Then i formatted again and installed vista. I used the dvd that I burnt (which had a huge scratch in it so was corrupt) to boot into the setup then ran the install from my hard drive.
It was so fast...clocker says it's the same speed as XP's install but with me doing them both bac***o-back I can say that the vista install is faster. :D

clocker
09-11-2006, 02:43 AM
It was so fast...clocker says it's the same speed as XP's install but with me doing them both bac***o-back I can say that the vista install is faster. :D
I was just guestimating the time for a regular XP install.
Using my nLite install onto the i-RAM, XP Pro takes about 10 minutes.
Vista took about 30.

galliano
09-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Anyway Vista is slated for release in Jan 2007

clocker
09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Anyway Vista is slated for release in Jan 2007
Yes, and....?

Virtualbody1234
09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
It lets me use the same installation key as the Beta2. :)

I think it's an improvement from the Beta2 but did anyone else notice the time zone being 3 hours off during setup?

tesco
09-12-2006, 12:35 AM
It lets me use the same installation key as the Beta2. :)

I think it's an improvement from the Beta2 but did anyone else notice the time zone being 3 hours off during setup?It's done that to me with every version of vista that i've installed.:P

FreeDoom
09-12-2006, 04:46 AM
I'm only using 522MB at idle.

Only...:cry:
Well 1st i don't think it's faster. Isn't faster at booting, faster at opening different settings...etc

I agree with most of this:

There are no upgrades or features to the OS that are sufficiently compelling to make upgrading a necessity, some which were earlier promised, allowed for sufficient reason for an upgrade to be considered, but these have been removed one by one over the course of Vista's prolonged patchy road of development, and now Vista appears little more than an ill-performing version of XP with a glorified interface.

It has good things like the interface that i liked a lot but was expecting more deeper improvements...

clocker
09-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Perfect Disk defrag (http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/pd_download_home.cfm) for Vista RC1 now available for free (150 day!) trial.
Installs and works fine.
Dunno if it's any more effective than the included Windows defrag tool (Diskkeeper?) but at least it has a more informative GUI and you can see the progress bar.

ilw
09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
does it look like vista will be worth bothering with? And does it have any killer features, cos pretty much all i've heard is that it'll eat resources, look pretty and will be the foot in the door for that trusted platform doodad

FreeDoom
09-15-2006, 05:09 AM
does it look like vista will be worth bothering with? And does it have any killer features, cos pretty much all i've heard is that it'll eat resources, look pretty and will be the foot in the door for that trusted platform doodad

Well the only thing that will make me upgrade to Vista is because improved security at this point...if wasn't for that :unsure:
I don't care much about the looks...

somerjo99
09-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, i personally believe vista is much better

tesco
09-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Well, i personally believe vista is much betterelaborate:P