PDA

View Full Version : Navy? Your thoughts?

cpt_azad
09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Well what do you think (of the canadian navy that is)? My friend wants to become an offiicer as well and can't decide whether or not he wants to go Air Force or Navy (he's not interesting in being a pilot, he just wants to be an officer), so naturally I told him Air Force.

But he pointed out a lot of good things about the Navy, and now I'm having second thoughts, I know there are no naval aviators in the navy other then helicopter pilots, but I also know that I won't be getting into an F18 cockpit anytime soon (due to vision), I can only fly transport stuff, something that doesnt appeal to me very much.

To cut to the chase, I just wanted to know, would you go Navy (in my case helicopter pilot, or radical enough, a MARS officer) or stay with Air Force?

At this point in time I can change my initial engagement from Pilot (air force) to an NROTC title, like helicopter pilot or MARS officer, since I haven't done any training or the Air Force itself hasn't actually given me any training yet I'm not obliged (until next summer if I don't switch before then) to stay in the Air Force.

I must also point out I'm looking for an adventureous life, not a boring one, I would not mind travelling the world at the expense of taxpayers whatsoever. Especially quickly, because to get overseas deployments if you are Army or AF, you need years of experience in your field within Canadian borders, Navy's a diff. story where you ship off as a young officer. I would not mind time spent away from home either, after all, 18 years of living with the same people kind of gets boring real quick.

So what do you guys think? Stay? Go?

Barbarossa
09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Why don't you become an electrician? :blink:

cpt_azad
09-11-2006, 11:19 AM

1) Electricians in the military are not Officers
2) Electricians are only in the Army branch of things
3) Electricity and I don't get along on the best of terms :dry:

bigboab
09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Why not chose your service, Navy or Air Force, then join up and let them tell you what you would be most suitable for?:)

cpt_azad
09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Why not chose your service, Navy or Air Force, then join up and let them tell you what you would be most suitable for?:)

Not sure what you meant by that, but I'm already in the Air Force except I haven't done any training yet (i'm an officer cadet right now, training = next summer), and I can still "change" my career path and go Navy if I wanted to, although it'd take a while (beauracracy) that's why if I dont make a decision within the next month I'm gonna be with the Air Force for the next 9 years.

100%
09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I was together with a wonderful girl, for many years, her father was in the navy, an admiral to be exact.
Apart that her parents where extremly conservative, lacked the capability to show emotion and where generally extremly boring to talk to -
inrelation to that i still cannot decipher whether he is smiling or being serious, his capabilities of posing infront of the camera at an instance (smile?) where unimaginably immaculate, casuality of the job.
He once said to me "One should never loose control"
this he says to an artist from amsterdam
i agree with him in theory but when i look at his life at 70 i think otherwise, too much control.
Although he once drove me into a mountain, filled with tunnels, subemarines on the road on the left, other war ships on the right, only to get out of the security mountain to go fishing on a yacht.
We caught alot of fish, via eccolod

Oldest son left at 18 to work as manager in manchester in hotels
She ohh lovely she became an anthropologist and is saving the world
youngest son tries to hold the training, and is an ok to fdo businessman.

You decide about the long term

Tempestv
09-11-2006, 05:09 PM
if you go into the navy, is months at sea going to bother you?
it's kinda weird thinking of the f-18 as an air force bird.

Skweeky
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM

1) Electricians in the military are not Officers
2) Electricians are only in the Army branch of things
3) Electricity and I don't get along on the best of terms :dry:

Actually..

my boyfriend is a helicopter technician/electrician. He worked in the RAF for 9 years.
They DO have officer ranks if that is what you would like to do and you can still decide to apply for pilot later on.

Obviously they have to go to war areas but you don't get involved in combat. You get all the training as the other people do but it's a damn easy job at the end of the day. You probably get to travel more than you would if you were just part of the regiment because every helicopter needs at least 2 electricians on board, most of the time they take more than that, just to be on the safe side.

Colt Seevers
09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
What ever uniform is the nicest go for that. I hear the Canadian Marine one is pretty tasty! Only draw back with the Navy at least UK NCO versions they are still wearing flares....which is ok, if thats your bag baby! :P

If the Armed forces are so worried about meeting their recruitment targets then they should jazz up those damn uniforms if only Georgio could still be with us to make some snappy combat gear! :D

bigboab
09-11-2006, 07:03 PM

Not sure what you meant by that, but I'm already in the Air Force except I haven't done any training yet (i'm an officer cadet right now, training = next summer), and I can still "change" my career path and go Navy if I wanted to, although it'd take a while (beauracracy) that's why if I dont make a decision within the next month I'm gonna be with the Air Force for the next 9 years.

Once you have finished your initial training the Forces usually tell you what you are most suited for.:)

cpt_azad
09-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Once you have finished your initial training the Forces usually tell you what you are most suited for.:)

Ah true enough, IAP does determine that, however I still got selected for pilot, the only way they would determine I'm not fit to fly is I don't do jack shit during IAP and slack off. They have to meet their quotas you know :) but lets see, I mean pilot aint a bad thing I've always wanted to be one (albeit not a "transport" pilot, pilot nonetheless), salary is pretty damn good starting at 40k a year as a 2nd lieutenant. I set up an appointment with an Officer at the recruiting centre to discuss this matter further and see whats best.

@tempestv, yes indeed, f18 is weird for an Air Force, it's a navy bird, always has and always will be, damn Canadians and their military budget, all we have are a bunch of F4's to train in :pinch:, I had asked a recruiter way back when when I was actually joining up if they had Naval aviators in the Canadian navy, he gave me like the longest look and said wtf is that? :(

Times like this I curse my cousins in the USN, 19 of em are naval aviators, one of my uncle's (cousin's father) is a freakin CAG :angry: I mean come on, that's huge respect right there, and most of them are Lt. Commanders already. Too bad they retired the F14's cuz out of the 19 I believe 14 of them were F14 pilots, but they're getting retrained for the F18 super hornet.

j2k4
09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Tell you what-don't sell chopper pilots short.

Lots of opportunities after your hitch, which, frankly, might be worth a career to retirement before becoming a civvie again.

If I hadn't had my head up my ass at your age, that'a what I'd have done.

Just a thought.

Luck with your choice...:)

cpt_azad
09-12-2006, 04:19 AM

Lots of opportunities after your hitch, which, frankly, might be worth a career to retirement before becoming a civvie again.

Just a thought.

Yup, don't worry a helicopter pilot...is still a pilot nonetheless, I just wanna make a good career out of this, my goal is to retire (or leave) after I make the rank of Captain (colonel), that's a freakin long shot but hey we all have goals.

The appointment is next wednesday, lets see what happens.

j2k4
09-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Just a thought.

Yup, don't worry a helicopter pilot...is still a pilot nonetheless, I just wanna make a good career out of this, my goal is to retire (or leave) after I make the rank of Captain (colonel), that's a freakin long shot but hey we all have goals.

Yes, lets do.

I think you can, long shot or not. ;)

Agrajag
09-12-2006, 07:17 PM

Just a thought.

So no chance of you being Major Asda then, is it straight from Capt To Col in Canadia.

j2k4
09-12-2006, 07:51 PM

So no chance of you being Major Asda then, is it straight from Capt To Col in Canadia.

It's apparently a Canadian thing, ffs.

Agrajag
09-12-2006, 07:56 PM

Well, well, well .... merkins say lootenant and it should be leftenant.

j2k4
09-12-2006, 08:04 PM

Well, well, well .... merkins say lootenant and it should be leftenant.

Rubbish.

We invented American English, and have lent it to Canadia with permissions to inject occasional and nonsensical French-ness and free-form colloquial stuff.

You bloody island-folk are pushing your luck. :angry:

Agrajag
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
What type of muppets would adopt French words into their language. That's a linguistic cul de sac.

j2k4
09-12-2006, 08:55 PM
What type of muppets would adopt French words into their language. That's a linguistic cul de sac.

It's their Quebec thingie.

Kinda like a cyst in a sensitive area, I hear.

Best not to poke or prod, just let it be.

Perhaps a Canadian member could elaborate...

Agrajag
09-12-2006, 08:58 PM

If we can find one who understands that sentence let me know and I'll ask.

j2k4
09-12-2006, 09:05 PM

Well, be careful who you ask; you risk an extremely light bruise on the arm...

Agrajag
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM

Well, be careful who you ask; you risk an extremely light bruise on the arm...

Well if that's the case I apologise unreservedly and retract my previous.

bigboab
09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Canadian Air Force Ranks

General
Lieutenant-General
Major-General
Brigadier-General

Senior Officers (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#senior)
Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
Major

Junior Officers (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#junior)
Captain
Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Subordinate Officer (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#subordinate)
Officer Cadet

Non-Commissioned Members (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#noncommisionned)
Chief Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Sergeant
Master Corporal
Corporal
Private

Appointments (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#appoint)
Canadian Forces Chief Warrant Officer
Command Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer of a higher formation
Base Chief Warrant Officer
Trumpet Major or Bugle Major
Drum Major
Pipe Major

Maybe if you are brilliant you could jump from Captain to Colonel. It is not a Major problem:rolleyes:

lynx
09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Canadian Air Force Ranks

General
Lieutenant-General
Major-General
Brigadier-General

Senior Officers (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#senior)
Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
Major

Junior Officers (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#junior)
Captain
Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Subordinate Officer (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#subordinate)
Officer Cadet

Non-Commissioned Members (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#noncommisionned)
Chief Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Sergeant
Master Corporal
Corporal
Private

Appointments (http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/insignia/aira_e.asp#appoint)
Drum Major
Pipe Major

Maybe if you are brilliant you could jump from Captain to Colonel. It is not a Major problem:rolleyes:
What rank do they need to run the local YMCA? :dry:

Tempestv
09-13-2006, 02:33 AM
[quote=bigboab;1445466]
@tempestv, yes indeed, f18 is weird for an Air Force, it's a navy bird, always has and always will be, damn Canadians and their military budget, all we have are a bunch of F4's to train in :pinch:, I had asked a recruiter way back when when I was actually joining up if they had Naval aviators in the Canadian navy, he gave me like the longest look and said wtf is that? :(

you train in f-4s? wow, I would have expected t38 type aircraft as supersonic trainers. anyways, if you don't want to be a freight dog, then from the sound of it, the only other thing that they will let you be pilot in command of is a helicoptor. what chance would there be of being an airforce or army chopper pilot? if it's your eyes keeping you out of an f-18 cockpit, do they accept eye surgry? I know they don't in the USAF fighters, but I think they do in the USN air wing fighters. I have no idea about the canadian air force though.

cpt_azad
09-13-2006, 06:38 AM
Isn't "Lieutenant" always pronounced "leftenant"? I thought it was a british term from way back when and the Americans never liked that pronounciation or something.

MagicNakor
09-13-2006, 07:39 AM
The Commonwealth countries tend to say "leftenant."

<insert witty Americans don't really speak English joke...sorry, I'm feeling ill and not up to it>

:shuriken:

Barbarossa
09-13-2006, 08:08 AM

Genious :cool:

cpt_azad
09-13-2006, 08:11 AM
[quote=cpt_azad;1445473]

you train in f-4s? wow, I would have expected t38 type aircraft as supersonic trainers. anyways, if you don't want to be a freight dog, then from the sound of it, the only other thing that they will let you be pilot in command of is a helicoptor. what chance would there be of being an airforce or army chopper pilot? if it's your eyes keeping you out of an f-18 cockpit, do they accept eye surgry? I know they don't in the USAF fighters, but I think they do in the USN air wing fighters. I have no idea about the canadian air force though.

In the USAF they do accept corrective laser eye surgery (but to an extent, and its "under" the table kind of stuff), and yes USN definitely accepts laser eye surgery but only Lasik.

They do not accept laser eye surgery, nor do they let you wear glasses/contacts if you want to be a pilot in the Air Force here in Canada, but that's very restrictive (you have to really annoy them about it) because the whole no contacts/glasses/surgery thing only applies to figher pilots who pull like 8g's in a turn, they do not apply to say a chopper or freighter pilot who experience run-of-the-mill flight g's, so it is an exception for helicopter pilots and freigh/cargo pilots (or recon pilots, ie C130 hercules) to wear contacts/glasses, and ya my vision is keeping me out of the F18. I personally don't train in an F4, I just pointed that out because pilots training to be an F18 fighter pilot have to undergo training in an F4, not sure what a freight/cargo pilot trains in.

cpt_azad
09-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Canadian Air Force Ranks

General
Lieutenant-General
Major-General
Brigadier-General

Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
Major

Captain
Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Officer Cadet

Chief Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Sergeant
Master Corporal
Corporal
Private

Drum Major
Pipe Major

If you did your research you'd realize that the equivalent rank of a Colonel in the Army/Air Force is referred to as a Captain in the Navy, this goes for the USN, and the Royal Navy as well. Here:

Navy Officer Ranks [Army/Airforce equivalent]:

Fleet Admiral (Only appointed in a time of war) [No equivalent]
Admiral (4 star) [4 star General]
Vice Admiral (3 star) [Lt. General - 3 stars]
Rear Admiral Upper Half (2 star) [Major General - 2 stars]
Rear Admiral Lower Half (1 star)Brigadier-General [Brigadier General - 1 star]

Captain [Colonel]
Commander [Lt. Colonel]
Lieutenant Commander [Major]

Lieutenant [Captain]
Lieutenant Junior Grade [1st Lt.]
Ensign [2nd Lt.]
Midshipman [Officer Cadet] <--- that's my rank right now

Hope that clears it up, I don't plan on just "bypassing" the Major rank (in this case Lt. Commander), when I say Captain I mean Colonel.

JPaul
09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
See I knew it would be summat like that. That's why I asked like.