PDA

View Full Version : The Edonkey2000 Network is No Longer Available

roosterama
09-12-2006, 07:37 AM
http://www.slyck.com/newspics/edonkeymug.jpgI tried to run Edonkey2000 this morning and got this message...

"The Edonkey2000 Network is no longer available. Please see eDonkey.com for more details".

I went there and there was certainly no information about it at all.

In addition when trying to run edonkey 2000 I was presented with an unusaual window that says 'This will uninstall Edonkey', and sure enough it does.

I went to their site as directed and saw that NO link to their 'paid for' version was found at edonkey.com/downloads.php

Clicking the free version link (which is available according to them) takes me to a 'page not found' error.

I clicked to read their forums but that page just hung.

I haven't found any news about this on the Internet as yet. Has Edonkey expired or been shut down?

RealitY
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Strange at the least with the broken links.
Suggest you install eMule for now...

MoReBeEr(VB)
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
That's strange
My Overnet 0.52 is still downloading strong
It uses the same network.

roosterama
09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
The strangest part is how, upon opening up Edonkey, I got the 'network unavailable' message and then an option to uninstall the software, with no alternative options available to do anything but that. Then upon visiting their site, I found most of it not working and no links showing to get the paid for version of their software, just a blank space where it used to be, and even more strange, despite being told to view www.edonkey.com (http://www.edonkey.com) for more information as to why this was happening, there was no information there at all!!! My virus checker and security monitoring software has found no problem with my machine, nor any record of the Edonkey2000 program being altered or fiddled with in any way

Anyway, aside from all that, I am extremely grateful to the poster who recommended I should use E-Mule instead. Having learned the basics on Edonkey 2000, I found E-mule to be far more technical, but not completely difficult. Within an hour I am a converted user. E-mule is much better for me and I am enlightened. Many thanks. This forum is very much appreciated.

Vargas
09-12-2006, 12:46 PM
so a simple workaround would be to add an entry into your HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 home.edonkey2000.com
but why bother
http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/edonkey-emule/t-edonkey-client-is-being-shutdown-tonight-39536.html

RIP eDonkey2000
Long Live eMule

lament
09-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Once you're redirected to the eDonkey site, click on the 'Forum' link and you'll see the following message:

The eDonkey2000 Network is no longer available.
If you steal music or movies, you are breaking the law.

Courts around the world -- including the United States Supreme Court --
have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal
downloading.

You are not anonymous when you illegally download copyrighted material.

Your IP address is <IP address here> and has been logged.

Respect the music, download legally.

Goodbye Everyone.

Were they raided?

AndrewBarker
09-12-2006, 04:17 PM
lol, just shows how these guys lie, the ed2k network can never be shut down,

respect the music, share like hell

lysine
09-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Firm behind eDonkey to pay $30 million to avoid piracy claims

ALEX VEIGA
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - The firm behind popular online file-sharing software eDonkey has agreed to pay $30 million to avoid potential copyright infringement lawsuits from the recording industry, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

New York-based MetaMachine Inc. was one of seven technology firms to receive letters from the recording industry last fall warning them to shut down or prepare to face lawsuits.

Since then, the operators of BearShare, i2Hub, WinMX, and Grokster have reached similar agreements.

"With this new settlement, another domino falls, and we have further strengthened the footing of the legal marketplace," Mitch Bainwol, chairman and chief executive of the Recording Industry Association of America, said in a statement.

Under terms of the latest agreement, MetaMachine and its top executives, Sam Yagan and Jed McCaleb, agreed to immediately cease distributing eDonkey, eDonkey 2000, Overnet and other software versions.

The company also agreed to take measures to prevent file-sharing by people using previously downloaded versions of the eDonkey software.

A federal judge must still give final approval to the terms of the settlement.

A call to eDonkey CEO Sam Yagan was not immediately returned.

The eDonkey Web site on Tuesday featured a message from the company telling visitors that the eDonkey2000 Network was no longer available, and a warning that people who steal music or movies are breaking the law.

The message concluded with "Goodbye Everyone."

Several file-sharing services have yet to reach settlements with the recording industry, including Warez P2P, Limewire and Soulseek.

In August, the recording companies filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against the firm behind LimeWire. That case is pending.

article (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/15500928.htm)

erRor67
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
One workaround to get edonkey working is to block all the edonkey websites using your HOSTS file. Another one is to install and start edonkey while you are disconnected from the internet. Then after edonkey is running, reconnect to the internet.

Or you edonkey users can just switch to emule. It connects to the same network plus it has its KAD network and protocall encryption. And, it can resume your unfinished edonkey downloads..

lament
09-12-2006, 08:36 PM
eMule is the next stop... :D

RealitY
09-13-2006, 02:59 AM
MetaMachine, the company behind the eDonkey client, has long been a staple of the P2P community. Before there was eMule, before there was BitTorrent, and way before ThePirateBay, the dominating source of information was via the eDonkey client.
This story began in 2002, shortly after the fall of Napster. During this time, P2P development in the United States was a superfluous affair. Dozens, if not close to a hundred various P2P companies of all shapes and sizes began populating the American landscape. One of those companies was MetaMachine, based in the city of New York.

MetaMachine was led by two ambitious and talented individuals, Sam Yagan and Jed McCaleb. Together they forged the eDonkey client; a revolutionary application that changed the way large files were traded online. The eDonkey client connected to the eDonkey2000 network. At the time of its launch, it was a small and fledgling network with little in the way of content. Also, the P2P landscape was dominated by FastTrack, which carried an adequate supply of videos and large files.

But eDonkey succeed where FastTrack failed. eDonkey’s technology was light years ahead of FastTrack in its ability to transfer large files. Similarly to BitTorrent, eDonkey broke large files into small segments and created micro-swarms which greatly enhanced the efficiency of file-transfers. eDonkey also allowed independent operators to establish their own indexing servers, which scattered the eDonkey2000 network throughout the globe. A more decentralized version of the network, dubbed Overnet, was another great step forward for P2P. However people’s attachment to centralized communities never allowed for this advanced network to supplant eDonkey2000 – rather it functioned to supplement it.

eDonkey also took advantage of indexing websites. Such websites contained verified links, or hash links, which nearly guaranteed a successful and accurate download. The same could not be said for FastTrack, which was quickly coming known for corrupt and false files. Massive indexing sites such as ShareReactor, ShareConnector and the web-independent RazorBack were the de facto standards of the eDonkey2000 network.

Although BitTorrent would soon become the largest file-sharing network in terms of bandwidth consumption, eDonkey2000 never faded away. Its uncanny ability to locate rare and odd files has never quiet been replaced. Even today, many nations around the world prefer eDonkey2000 over any other network. Although exact numbers are difficult to place on P2P networks, it is generally accepted that eDoneky2000 has well over 4 million users at any given time.

However eDonkey2000’s longevity under MetaMachine was not to be. In June of 2005, after a lengthy battle throughout the United States court system, the entertainment industry finally achieved the intrinsic victory it has fought so long to achieve. In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court remanded the MGM vs. Grokster case back to the lower courts. The Supreme Court stated that file-sharing developers could be sued for copyright infringement if they induced such behavior. The specific definition of “induce” has yet to be defined by the lower courts; however decision sparked a domino effect in the P2P community. In September of 2005, the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) sent several commercial P2P developers cease and desist letters, demanding they prevent their users from infringing on their member company’s copyrights.

"We demand that you immediately cease-and-desist from enabling and inducing the infringement of RIAA member sound recordings. If you wish to discuss pre-litigation resolution of these claims against you, please contact us immediately."

One by one, the vanguard of the commercial P2P industry fell. Grokster, BearShare, WinMX, and iMesh settled. The notable exception was Ares Galaxy, who’s sole developer Alberto Treves opened the source to his client and network.

MetaMachine’s Sam Yagan also indicated his intention to comply. Testifying before the United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Sam Yagan stated that he believed the RIAA’s interpretation of the Supreme Court decision was incorrect, but he simply did not have the funds necessary to defend his network and client. With no other recourse available to him, he conceded defeat.

“…I am not here as an active participant in the future of P2P, but rather as one who has thrown in his towel and with no interest in replaying past issues…” Yagan stated.

In the months that followed that September testimony, little appeared to happen on the eDonkey2000 website. Curiously, there were even hints from developer Jeb McCaleb that a new version was in the works. Any hope of this however is now long dashed, as the end of the eDonkey client is now at hand. On September 11, eDonkey users were greeted with the following pop-up message from their client:

"The eDonkey2000 client is no longer available. See eDonkey2000.com for details."

Few details were available until later today, when an all too familiar message appeared on the eDonkey2000 homepage:

“The eDonkey2000 Network is no longer available. If you steal music or movies, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world - including the United States Supreme Court - have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.

“You are not anonymous when you illegally download copyrighted material. Your IP address is XX.XXX.XXX.XX and has been logged. Respect the music, download legally. Goodbye Everyone.”

A similar message appeared during Grokster’s banishment; and similarly the IP address of the visiting computer was published. This of course is little more than a fear tactic designed to insight a sense of vulnerability – as visiting eDonkey2000.com is not illegal.

But now eDonkey2000.com is gone, as MetaMachine has settled officially with the entertainment industry for $30 million (US.) According to the settlement agreement, which was made available to Slyck.com, there doesn't appear to be much of a future in the file-sharing realm for eDonkey or MetaMachine.

[The defendants...] shall be permanently enjoined and restrained from directly, indirectly, contributory or vicariously infringing in any many any copyright in any and all sound recording and other copyrighted works..."

[The defendants...] shall be permanently enjoined and restrained from directly or indirectly, or assisting in or supporting the operation of, any copter server or website, or distributing any software, in any way related to the eDonkey System or Software or any other peer to peer or file-trading network or their network, service or medium [that encourages copyright infringement.]

[The defendants...] shall be permanently enjoined and restrained from directly or indirectly releasing [the eDonkey source code or technology.]

The defendants are also prohibited from selling or transferring any significant part of the MetaMachine business or other assets without the consent of the Court, as well as waive their right to appeal.

While MetaMachine's future in unknown, the creation that Sam Yagan and Jed McCaleb manifested is anything but destroyed. eDonkey is just one client that connects to the eDonkey2000 network. Although the eDonkey client is officially annihilated, it comprised of only a small market share of this network – at most only 10%.

Instead, the open source and open community client eMule is the true spear head of the eDonkey2000 network. With a market share of now 100%, most eDonkey2000 fans will continue on with their daily routine as if nothing ever happened.

MetaMachine’s gift to the file-sharing world won’t be forgotten. Millions of file-sharers who participate on this network can tip their hat to the people who’ve made it possible.
:source: Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1288

delimare
09-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Another one bites the dust, and torrents live on.

ear2ear
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Got the shut down message today,

How do they feasibly expect to hunt down every user via their IP address?

makes $30mill look like small change.

suprafreak6
09-13-2006, 10:30 PM
My friend got the shutdown message today, do they really have his IP? or is it just bogus nonsense

lysine
09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
bogus nonsense

it's a scare tactic. I'm sure the ip's get logged somewhere, as they do on every site you visit, but merely visiting the edonkey site is not indicative of wrongdoing.

racky29
09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
If anyone still wants to use thier edonkey ive found a simple Host file entry that works

edit your HOSTS File located
[c:\windows\system32\drivers\ect\hosts]
add these lines
127.0.0.1 sda.edonkey.com #stop remote uninstall versions 1.4.5 - 1.4.6
66.94.229.254 home.edonkey.com #stop homepage warning & change hompage to alltheweb
66.94.229.254 home.overnet.com #stop homepage warning for older overnet 0.5.3 only

save it, click file/save
if you have problem saving, the hosts maybe set to read only, so right click hosts, property's and untick read-only,
NOTE: you must set the Hosts back to read-only ofter, cos edonkey can remove the (sda.) entry from the hosts after you start it up

thats it its been working for me, just as it was before, but i want some feedback

david02
09-16-2006, 06:14 PM
why use edonkey, use emule instead

FreeDoom
09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
In addition when trying to run edonkey 2000 I was presented with an unusaual window that says 'This will uninstall Edonkey', and sure enough it does.

How can that be? :blink:
Remote uninstall? :huh: :unsure:

gustafo
09-18-2006, 04:04 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: i'll miss my donkey... :cry:

ear2ear
09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Yep Freedom, remote uninstall.

No idea how it works but it sure does.

Wow the future is here.

Dark_forsaken
09-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I do not often log into edonkey but did today and O.o...
it was gone? something noting about file sharing and it logged my IP and ...does anyone know what is going on?

david02
09-20-2006, 05:27 PM
don't use edonkey but emule instead

Dark_forsaken
09-20-2006, 05:32 PM
O.o am..but....should I be worried? what happened?

david02
09-20-2006, 05:45 PM
something with legal isues... you are using edonkey2000 right?

read this
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t128482-.html

just use emule, you can also connect to the KAD network with that program.
Don't worry, even if they have your IP.. they are trying to scare you

Dark_forsaken
09-20-2006, 05:47 PM
just got the new mule with the IP blacklist and ....cant seem to get anything to move.O.o Thank you so much for the link!

david02
09-20-2006, 05:52 PM
if you have problems with emule post it in a tread. specify what is the problem and what you are doing, people here can help you , also read the faqs and other treads first

good luck

racky29
10-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Check out the Fix to get your eDonkey back up and running like it should be
here: http://www.drunkendonkey.net/eng/index.php?showtopic=74151