PDA

View Full Version : Are private trackers really safe?

shosh
09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Are private trackers really safe? i mean whats keeping the governing parties from suing any tracker site and getting all of our ip addresses. alot of private sites keep our ip addresses and if a group decides to attack a site, whats to prevent them from coming after us.

deuce6000
09-12-2006, 07:05 PM
If they sue and get all of our ip addresses i would think that the site would already be shut down so noone would be using it anymore.What are they gonna do with the ip addresses and how can they prove anything.Your paranoid.

LoOpiNg
09-13-2006, 04:00 AM
the question is, are private trackers safer than public ones?

Broken
09-13-2006, 04:18 AM
You really have to ask yourself how well you know every single member of the site. It only takes one bad account to cause trouble. The easiest way to determine how secure the site is to ask yourself, "How hard was it for me to get in. And do I think a dedicated paid pro couldn't?".

lysine
09-13-2006, 04:25 AM
if you're sharing copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner, you're putting yourself at risk for legal problems (in most countries). it's not too difficult to get an invite to a private tracker, it would be naive to think that they can't get an account on them.

I'm not sure why they've chosen the strategy of going after users of public sites, but that doesn't mean that private sites are safe.

FreeDoom
09-13-2006, 04:28 AM
You really have to ask yourself how well you know every single member of the site. It only takes one bad account to cause trouble. The easiest way to determine how secure the site is to ask yourself, "How hard was it for me to get in. And do I think a dedicated paid pro couldn't?".

That's the point: how hard it is to get in a site.
A guy that is investigating the site and wants to get access to it, has to act like one of us here.
Now, how hard is to get an invite to a top site? well from my experience, it's not that hard, it can take a lot of time and dedication but probably they would manage to get in.

nizrulesall
09-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, all it takes is a week or so to get invites if you try hard enough. so anyone could get in really...

Melvinmeow
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Same with Scene servers. You can acctually get into alot of scene servers if you throw some money at them as well. Thats why scene always tries rooting out pay to leech sites.
If you think about it its never 100% foolproof. However alot of the private sites eliminate their searchbots from searching the sites. As well as alot run peerguardian. They arent 100% effective but they do stop more than nothing like that open to public sites many times.

nizrulesall
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
http://www.torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-user-pleads-guilty/

pECi
09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I should expect the Federal Bureau Of Incompetence coming knockin at my door?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

j0hn
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
private trackers are slightly safer, but not totally safe.
public trackers tend to have more peers, so they are the bigger target.
also with them being public, anyone can download copyrighted material from them. makes them more of a target also.

alot of private trackers have a small userbase, and stay more out of the spotlight.
user of private trackers are, in general, smarter. and a much higher percentage will be running peerguardian, or something similar.
a simple formula would be:

bigger the site + ease of obtaining invite = chances of it being targeted

where a site is hosted can make a difference to them trying to takedown a site. if they do this, and get hold of the server(s), then u could really be screwed. the majority of sites log alot, including:
files u download
i.p(s) used
data transferred (up/down) on each file
uploaded torrents
and the list goes on.

but am i worried? do i care? not a damn bit.

pECi
09-14-2006, 08:33 AM
MPAA i don't think it has authority outside the us...RIAA as well...so we're cool :lol:

lysine
09-14-2006, 10:16 AM
MPAA i don't think it has authority outside the us...RIAA as well...so we're cool :lol:

depends on the country. the mpaa and riaa have international equivalents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Federation_of_the_Phonographic_Industry

0ctane
09-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Same with Scene servers. You can acctually get into alot of scene servers if you throw some money at them as well. Thats why scene always tries rooting out pay to leech sites.
If you think about it its never 100% foolproof. However alot of the private sites eliminate their searchbots from searching the sites. As well as alot run peerguardian. They arent 100% effective but they do stop more than nothing like that open to public sites many times.

Agreed . :yup:

Melvinmeow
09-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I should expect the Federal Bureau Of Incompetence coming knockin at my door?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah Make them some dinner they will be over at 5:30 sharp.
Keep the food hot for them.
;)

joeybuttawipo
09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
For any concerned about getting busted or whatever, just get Peer Guardian 2 to have that peace of mind you're looking for......

lysine
09-15-2006, 11:04 PM
For any concerned about getting busted or whatever, just get Peer Guardian 2 to have that peace of mind you're looking for......

while I think it offers minimal protection, I don't think it really gives any peace of mind. for eaxmple, there is someone running a tracker full of poisioned torrents, at http://b00bs.hobby-site.com:6969/. if you do a whois on the address, you'll find it's a bellsouth dsl connection. (source: this post (http://www.sladinki007.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=33574&view=findpost&p=110023)) that wouldn't show up on any blocklist, unless someone added it. there's a million connections out there, and it's impossible to block all the 'bad' ones.

j0hn
09-16-2006, 05:37 AM
if ur concerned about getting busted, then stop file sharing.
go out and buy the music/software/movies u want to download.
its really not worth worrying about.
peerguardian is recommended, and will help a little, but nothing is full proof.

sun_star
09-16-2006, 03:48 PM
In the end it also depends on the country u live in.. is there any law suits against ppl who download or just against websites/heavy sharers... If u have dynamic IP it would be hard to catch u. also depends on the law in yuor country. If i were u i woudn't be so much paranoid... enjoy the p2p while u can coz in a few years (or even more) it might not be there you never know

partino
09-16-2006, 03:51 PM

that's a good one.

gunner1985
09-16-2006, 07:57 PM
privite trackers are safer than open sign up but all it takes is some idiot selling invites ive seen a few privite tracker invites on ebay thats how the wrong people can get in

gaz31
09-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Don't believe peer guardian helps at all.

Whats stopping employees of these organisations from entering a site through there home connection?

whitepawn2a6
09-18-2006, 04:54 AM
i see it as
If you don't want any trouble then don't leech or seed, bascially stay off the net... no one's safe

i'm going to continue leeching/seeding... living in fear means not living at all...

treesap
09-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Don't believe peer guardian helps at all.

Whats stopping employees of these organisations from entering a site through there home connection?

I prefer to use peer guardian as my security blanket

david999
09-19-2006, 12:41 PM
use peerguardian and you will see a lot less blocked ip's on private than public trackers but you still get lot's of sus ones so no they are not SAFE just safer

shosh
09-20-2006, 09:59 PM
from what ive seen, peerguardian doesnt do a thing. when ppl were using PG and when HBO put up false torrents of their shows they got the ip addresses of the downloaders. then they contact the isp and sends an email to their email account stating that action will be taken against them for downloading their files (but was nothing more than a scare tatic.

j0hn
09-21-2006, 01:29 AM
u must not have it configured correctly.
i just counted my peerguardian blocks between 1am-2am, and there were 112 connections blocked. alot of these were repeated connection attempts by the same i.p(s), but it still blocked around 20-30 unique i.ps.
seeing as though i have about 10 active torrents, with about 3000-4000 seeds/peers, i'd say its "doing something".

alecwu
09-21-2006, 10:42 AM
In the end it also depends on the country u live in.. is there any law suits against ppl who download or just against websites/heavy sharers... If u have dynamic IP it would be hard to catch u. also depends on the law in yuor country. If i were u i woudn't be so much paranoid... enjoy the p2p while u can coz in a few years (or even more) it might not be there you never know
:lol: good luck