View Full Version : Windows boot taking too long

FreeDoom
09-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Hello, i've built a new computer for a friend of mine with this specs:
E6400
AsusP5B
2X512 Corsair
Gforce 7300GS

We installed windows XP SP2, updated all drivers (graphics, sound...).
The problem is the computer takes a lot of time to boot into windows :stars:
about 40secs+ omg
He had a Athlon XP 2600+ and it took 30+ :O

This is was comparing a clean install on both systems...

We installed bootvis so we could see the drivers loading and others processes. We notested that when windows is booting, it waits 15sec+- at boot screen. The cpu is at 0 load for that time and after that it starts loading the drivers and completes the boot.

That is a bad ass pc LOOL :pinch:

Chewie
09-14-2006, 10:01 PM
XP tries to detect new IDE devices on every boot. If there's no device in any of the locations, it'll just wait until it decides nothing is going to reply.

If you have empty locations on your IDE channels...
Locate the IDE controllers entry in device manager and expand the tree by clicking the + next to the entry.
Double-click Primary IDE Channel and click the Advanced Settings tab.
Select None in the drop down box labelled Device Type for any channels where you have no device - it'll say Not Applicable in the box labelled Current Transfer Mode if there's no device present.
Do the same for Secondary IDE Channel.

limesqueezer
09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Did you tryed msconfig & cut processes not needed and see if its any better ?
Could be firewall, drivers, problems with network (try safe mode)

Chewie
09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Did you try msconfig & cut processes not needed to see if its any better?
Could be firewall, drivers, problems with network (try safe mode)(fixed ;))
With CPU at 0% on the boot screen for 15 seconds, msconfig won't help.

FreeDoom
09-15-2006, 01:14 AM
XP tries to detect new IDE devices on every boot. If there's no device in any of the locations, it'll just wait until it decides nothing is going to reply.

Locate the IDE controllers entry in device manager and expand the tree by clicking the + next to the entry.
Select None in the drop down box labelled Device Type for any channels where you have no device - it'll say Not Applicable in the box labelled Current Transfer Mode if there's no device present.

Thanks for the help Chewie though this board only has 1 IDE channel (primary) and i have 2 devices attached to it (cdrw and dvdrw) so i can't disable them.

@limesqueezer
i've tryed already msconfig but with no success...

Going to keep searching :)

peat moss
09-15-2006, 02:24 AM
I don't think thats a big issue ,is this with anti virus and firewall loading at start up ? I'd look in Bios settings for fast boot ,and do little things like disable boot screen etc. You can edit boot ini as well but as I said 40 sec. does n't seem unreasonable .

FreeDoom
09-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Well, as his other pc took 30+ sec (4 years old lol) this is a bit of a surprise for a brand new pc. More, it's overclocked to 2.8GHz...
Yes, loading firewall and anti virus at startup but then again, it had AV and FW in other pc too.

The thing is: what is the system doing in that 15sec? the cpu is at 0% usage so...

Chewie
09-15-2006, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the help Chewie though this board only has 1 IDE channel (primary) and i have 2 devices attached to it (cdrw and dvdrw) so i can't disable them.

@limesqueezer
i've tryed already msconfig but with no success...

Going to keep searching :)
My Asus M2N32 only has one IDE channel but a secondary still appears in Device Manager. I've disabled detection on it.

FreeDoom
09-15-2006, 07:04 AM
My Asus M2N32 only has one IDE channel but a secondary still appears in Device Manager. I've disabled detection on it.

:O
It's weird...if only has 1 ide channel (master and slave) why appears secondary?
:ermm: windowsee :dry:

Thanks gonna check it :cool:

cheshirecat
09-15-2006, 10:11 AM
why appears secondary?

6 SATA's and 1 IDE

Primary + Secondary channels for each pair of SATA and for the lonely IDE

->> 2+2+2 sata + 2 ide

FreeDoom
09-16-2006, 02:55 AM
why appears secondary?

6 SATA's and 1 IDE

Primary + Secondary channels for each pair of SATA and for the lonely IDE

->> 2+2+2 sata + 2 ide

IDE has only 1 port (primary) and 1 flat cable with master and slave so still is weird...

zapjb
09-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Oh my. 10sec/day = 1hr/yr. :O

somerjo99
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
mine take a long while aswell, its really anoyining