PDA

View Full Version : shooting linked to video games

GepperRankins
09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6157670.html?tag=latestnews;title;3

The gunman also posted scores of photos of himself posing with a rifle, a hunting knife, and a black trench coat. A journal entry from the morning prior to the shooting said he was drinking whiskey and had been "crazy" and "postal" the night before. In one post, he wrote, "Life is like a video game, you gotta die sometime."

it was only a matter of time before someone made the link. internet and computer games caused this guy to kill.

Smith
09-15-2006, 02:12 AM
I was playing GTASA earlier, Carl was low on health so I went to the chicken place and gave him the biggest meal you can buy. Soon after I was hungry.

DAMN THESE VIDEOGAMES TO HELL.

peat moss
09-15-2006, 04:03 AM
Hey with a name like Kimverr Gill maybe he's a terrorist gamer ? :huh:

Tempestv
09-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Right- He "trained" by playing postal 2... Jack Thompson- you are an idiot

bigboab
09-15-2006, 08:36 AM
When I was younger the 'Magic Lantern' shows got the blame for a lot of people turning violent.:(

NikkiD
09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh ffs. When is anyone responsible for their own actions anymore? No one ever shot up a school before violent video games? No one ever drag raced before NFS? No one ever shot a cop before GTA? Lots of normal, sane and responsible people play violent video games. They don't go around killing people because of them. If someone can't differentiate real life from a video game, then that person needs psychiatric help. Why not place the blame where it belongs, on this sick fuck who walked into the college and shot 19 people. You need a reason why he did it? Because he was a sick fuck. Period.

RPerry
09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
I agree, a sick fuck on their period is double trouble :wacko:

limesqueezer
09-15-2006, 01:38 PM
there you have it, another angel of death:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a3pOxsfXhbtA&refer=home
english names mostly:
http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/hist/mass_murderers.html

lynx
09-15-2006, 02:16 PM
english names mostly:
http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/hist/mass_murderers.html :noes:
Gonzalez - Spanish
Kehoe - Irish
Graham - Scottish
Burke - Irish
de la Torre - Spanish ?
Huberty - Irish
Hamilton - Scottish

That's 7 of the top 8.

Mind you, they missed the most prolific mass murderer of all, Harold Shipman - estimated body count 236.

MagicNakor
09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=7eb4380a-5b56-42bd-82aa-75e1421f9c7b&k=80067
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/09/14/gunregistry.html
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/artslife/story.html?id=70ca42a5-f979-446f-a9c3-61949f44c737&k=38269

We tend to look at gun control rather than blaming video games. :rolleyes:

:shuriken:

100%
09-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Sad way to express yourself.
People feel that need to stand out sometimes, yet that is one hell of a dramatic way to do it.
If only they had some form of education which would give a higher motive, political, social, cultural eco etc then it sort of could be justified sort of...
Graffitti, vandalizing telephone booths, bus stops etc should be legalized.
But when people are so apathetic, and have nothingmore than a video game to identify with, the social capabilities of this person become one tracked and not so interesting in social enviroments, hence the outsider evolves, whom at one point wants to exist out there. but how?
blah

limesqueezer
09-15-2006, 03:58 PM
If everybody that played a shooter game would be a killer, we would be dead by now.
If you can't buy guns you can't kill. Thats why this doesn't happen here. We have like 10 violent kills on 10 years. This shit all comes from america mostly, where all shit starts, land of stupidity.

Tempestv
09-15-2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=7eb4380a-5b56-42bd-82aa-75e1421f9c7b&k=80067
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/09/14/gunregistry.html
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/artslife/story.html?id=70ca42a5-f979-446f-a9c3-61949f44c737&k=38269

We tend to look at gun control rather than blaming video games. :rolleyes:

:shuriken:

so how exactly would a gun registry stop something like this?

But Quebec Premier Jean Charest insisted that the shooting reinforces the need for a national gun registry to keep track of weapons and their owners.

stronger gun laws don't necissarly mean more effective gun laws.

Busyman
09-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh ffs. When is anyone responsible for their own actions anymore? No one ever shot up a school before violent video games? No one ever drag raced before NFS? No one ever shot a cop before GTA? Lots of normal, sane and responsible people play violent video games. They don't go around killing people because of them. If someone can't differentiate real life from a video game, then that person needs psychiatric help. Why not place the blame where it belongs, on this sick fuck who walked into the college and shot 19 people. You need a reason why he did it? Because he was a sick fuck. Period.

;)

He also musta sucked at the video games he used for training.

GAME OVER. NO CONTINUES.

bigboab
09-15-2006, 05:37 PM
If everybody that played a shooter game would be a killer, we would be dead by now.
If you can't buy guns you can't kill. Thats why this doesn't happen here. We have like 10 violent kills on 10 years. This shit all comes from america mostly, where all shit starts, land of stupidity.

I know you show the Somalia flag but what country do you stay in now? Wherever it is it sounds like a safe place to live.:)

GepperRankins
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
i tried playing postal once and it sucked.

a murderer who can play that game for 9 years plays it because they fantasize about killing random civilians. they haven't spent 9 years being brainwashed by it :unsure:

Busyman
09-15-2006, 06:20 PM

I know you show the Somalia flag but what couintry do you stay in now? Wherever it is it sounds like a safe place to live.:)

It also sounds like bull:shit:......unless he's on some underpopulated island.

j2k4
09-15-2006, 08:17 PM

All the way to the 12th post before you weigh in with this?

Simple opinions for simple people, I guess.

Check domestic violence and murder rates for Switzerland or Israel, where gun ownership is mandatory.

As to crime in general, check Britain, whose crime rate now exceeds that of the United States, ffs.

My condolences to the casualties and their loved ones at this tragic event.

Busyman™
09-15-2006, 09:13 PM

All the way to the 12th post before you weigh in with this?

Simple opinions for simple people, I guess.

Check domestic violence and murder rates for Switzerland or Israel, where gun ownership is mandatory.

As to crime in general, check Britain, whose crime rate now exceeds that of the United States, ffs.

My condolences to the casualties and their loved ones at this tragic event.

Oh but the end-all be-all of violence....gun violence....is lower. However, duuh when denied duuuh access duuuh to guns duuuh the brats use duuuh something else.

001 Cue bannage of sharp knives here.
002 If banned then goto line 003
003 Cue bannage of BFSs

vidcc
09-15-2006, 11:37 PM
There is a direct link to gun crimes and guns, or they wouldn't be called gun crimes :rolleyes:
There has been and is effort afoot to make it impossible to make comparisons when it comes to gun crimes.

TWO YEARS AGO THIS MONTH, the federal ban on assault weapons expired. Since then, sales of such weapons have almost certainly increased, and the number of crimes in which they have been used has undoubtedly risen. Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure. That's because the public and law enforcement agencies no longer have access to information they could routinely get just a few years ago.

A decade ago, the federal government was beginning to make some progress in making information about crime and guns more widely available. During the Clinton administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms started analyzing its vast database for the first time and in 2000 released its "Commerce in Firearms" report. This report — which was supposed to be issued annually — was full of information about gun sales as well as sales patterns of weapons used to commit crimes.

Armed with that information, federal and local law enforcement began cracking down on suspect dealers and shifting more resources to areas with disproportionally high levels of gun crimes. The federal government also began collecting information from 40 cities nationwide about their gun crimes and looking for helpful patterns in the data.

Today, such information is no longer available. In 2003, federal lawmakers slipped in a provision to an appropriations bill that bars the ATF from spending money to analyze its gun-crime database or making any data available to the public. The federal government also has stopped collecting cities' gun-crime data.

Congress is now intent on going a step further. This month, it's expected to vote on a package of bills that would make it harder to track other kinds of information. One would bar the federal government from releasing gun-crime data of any kind. Another would make it a felony for a law enforcement agency to share information about gun data with another jurisdiction. (This would make it a crime for a police officer in Los Angeles who wanted to pass along a tip about a gun crime to police in Long Beach.)

The gun industry says this kind of information has no value to the public at large and that law enforcement agencies could use it to harass dealers. That's nonsense. What they're probably worried about is that such information could show how to make gun-control laws more effective.
source (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-guns3sep03,0,6536701.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials)

On connecting this boy shooting and playing video games.
Surely he had to have some mental disorder to start with. Perhaps video games stimulated this disorder. That is very different from suggesting that video games created the disorder.

Tempestv
09-15-2006, 11:42 PM
There's no guns in prision, but I wouldn't consider it a very safe place.

Anyways, it's sad that the media needs to have a reason for everything.
when something as senseless as this killing comes about, and the media can't pin a reasonable motive on it, so since the killer played video games,they pin that as the sole reason for the violence. then these idiots with an agenda such as Jack Thompson have evidence to support their claims.

rather than trying to figure out what really went wrong, everybody jumps to ban guns and video games

Busyman™
09-15-2006, 11:56 PM
There is a direct link to gun crimes and guns, or they wouldn't be called gun crimes :rolleyes:

:O GTFOOH! :O

Irregardless to your quote, nice info. This has got to be the most backward administration that I have been alive to see.

Gun crime IS disparaging to gun ownership so let's cover-up the data. Furthermore, let's make it illegal to collect and share such data.

WHAT THE FIGGITY FUCK!:angry:

Busyman™
09-15-2006, 11:58 PM
There's no guns in prision, but I wouldn't consider it a very safe place.

It'd probably be worse though.

GepperRankins
09-16-2006, 12:24 AM
it's bizarre that i didn't even think of guns.

i was thinking this thread would go more in the direction of the fact that alcoholism and mental illness are being ignored while the fact that he obsessed about a computer game is being considered the thing that caused him to kill

Seedler
09-23-2006, 03:10 AM
I was playing GTASA earlier, Carl was low on health so I went to the chicken place and gave him the biggest meal you can buy. Soon after I was hungry.

DAMN THESE VIDEOGAMES TO HELL.

:glag:

True dat.

Snee
09-29-2006, 10:20 PM

I know you show the Somalia flag but what country do you stay in now? Wherever it is it sounds like a safe place to live.:)

He meant in his house.