PDA

View Full Version : Increase Line Gain

DarthInsinuate
05-07-2003, 09:49 AM
i don't think alot of people do this (probably because they hate the automated operators)

but anyway just call your phone company's tech support line and as them to 'increase the gain on your line'

ask them how long it'll take and then wait

after doing this you'll have a better quality phone line

for me this increased my connection from 4kb/s to 5/kbs

RPerry
05-08-2003, 05:55 AM
thanks for the tip... I must try this, my connection sucks alot of the time ;)

ripley02
05-09-2003, 04:11 PM
is this really true? what exactly does it do?

will the phone compnay make you pay to do this?

4play
05-09-2003, 04:19 PM
It is always worth a try but when i rung up and asked back when i was on 56k they told me no.

they can only turn it up so far.

DarthInsinuate
05-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ripley02@9 May 2003 - 16:11
is this really true? what exactly does it do?

will the phone compnay make you pay to do this?
i'm not sure EXACTLY what it does, but its something along the lines of turning the voltage up, which increases the volume

it should be free to do, unless your phone company is very evil, ask them before they do it just incase
i use BT and they are definately free

luckyone
05-21-2003, 09:38 PM
do u get consistent 5.xx
i can get 4.5x consistently.

sk8punk151
05-21-2003, 10:57 PM
It has nothing to do with turning up the voltage. In fact, its illegal to turn it up. FCC made it illegal in the United States (dont know why..) that you can only get i think 50k down and 25k up.. I think thats it, although I am not 100% sure. Its somewhere along those lines..

A friend of mine told me a while back that he could tweak the registry to tell the modem that he lived in like Spain.. He said his DL speeds were 20.00 kb/s + always.. But its illegal and I have known people who have got caught doing so (know them from message boards liek these)

The fastest I have ever seen my 56k download is 23.50 kb/s and it stayed at that speed for a good 10 mins.. It was real late at night and usually I can reach speeds over 10.00 kb/s if its late at night and if I am downloading a particulary large file

Ad
05-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Telstra dont give a sh*t unless I have there crappy service

vlovich
05-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@21 May 2003 - 23:57
It has nothing to do with turning up the voltage. In fact, its illegal to turn it up. FCC made it illegal  in the United States (dont know why..) that you can only get i think 50k down and 25k up.. I think thats it, although I am not 100% sure. Its somewhere along those lines..

A friend of mine told me a while back that he could tweak the registry to tell the modem that he lived in like Spain.. He said his DL speeds were 20.00 kb/s + always.. But its illegal and I have known people who have got caught doing so (know them from message boards liek these)

The fastest I have ever seen my 56k download is 23.50 kb/s and it stayed at that speed for a good 10 mins.. It was real late at night and usually I can reach speeds over 10.00 kb/s if its late at night and if I am downloading a particulary large file
I thought you were making some good points... right until your second paragraph. Either you are extremely gullible and know nothing about computers, or you don't know what kind of connection you have. A 56 K modem, physically can't go more than 56 Kbit/s. That means that your claimed speeds of even 10 kbytes/sec are bull (assuming you meant 10 kbytes/s and if you didn't then those speeds are nothing to boast about). Speeds of 7 Kbytes/s are absolute physical max when downloading files on a 56k (for those that don't know the math, 8 kbits = 1 kbyte, 56 kbits = 7 kbytes) unless your downloading uncompressed files (like text) then your maximum is 14 kbytes (I think its 112 kbits for uncompressed files, not completely sure).

Furthermore, even if your friend somehow could manage the magical numbers you spitted out, what the hell would changing the registry accomplish. You can say you live in china if you want. That doesn't mean that you will be magically censored by their goverment. Your ISP (the one that connects you to the internet) doesn't even care what your computer says, it doesn't ask. Even if it magically began to care, do you really think that an American ISP would believe that just because you say your in Spain that it would believe that (unless you were actually in Spain calling long distance) and that it would even increase your speed because your in a different country?

Follow Einstein's advice: keep your mouth shut and let people think your stupid rather than open it and prove them right.

Xanex
05-25-2003, 05:44 PM
LOL

AMEN

Thats the best response i have heard, let this be pinned PLZ im sick of people saying they get uber fast dls on 56k, uncompressed files hmm im not sure about that, i thought it would be faster if they where compressed, not the other way around since ur getting more data per packet.

:)

Xan

vlovich
05-25-2003, 06:27 PM
perhaps i wasn't clear. a 1 meg uncompressed file (like wav or txt) would be faster to download on a 56 k than a compressed file like zip or mp3. this is because while the 56k is downloading, it compresses the data being transferred (not exactly sure how it does it) so in effect the 1 mb uncompressed file turns into a 500 or 700 kb file still being transffered at whatever speed it is. the maximum physical speed is still 7kb/s (in North america it's actually around 6.2 because of the limitation for fear of interference; sk8punk151 was at least right about that plus overhead so don't expect over 6 and realistically, if you have extremelly high-quality phone lines in your house and between you and the provider, you can expect 5 kb+) back to what i was saying, both 1 MB of uncompressed and compressed data still transfers at the maximum but it will seem like the 1 MB uncompressed will transfer at a much faster speed because of the modem compression. This is quite useless for faster speeds however and was removed in high-speed modems because there are very few files that are uncompressed and the amount of compression achieved probably doesn't play a significant role when your transferring at 80 KB/s +

sk8punk151
05-26-2003, 05:55 AM
lol? I have been using computers for 10 years. I know plenty. hah. I am not gullible and I know my connection speed and my modem. Just because I can get fast speeds and you can&#39;t doesnt mean shit. You don&#39;t have to be a smart ass about it either.. Oh, and talking shit online is for pussys my friend. <_<

The only &#39;n00b&#39; here is you. You only have 8 post and already are beggining to talk shit and act like a smart ass. :)

Natsume Atsuko
05-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Now I am confused, if you get like 23kb/s on a 56k bps, why the hell did I pay for 256k bps DSL about a year back when all that it could do is around 24kb/s on a good day?? Hehe

Anyway from my information
A V.90 protocol 56k bps modem can can reach it&#39;s max physical limit of 7kb/s without problem, but FCC limits the lines to maximum downstream speed of 53k bps which is 6.625kb/s. So getting speed over 6.625kb/s on a 56k bps modem is unlikely and speeds over 7kb/s literally impossible.

isuru
05-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@21 May 2003 - 22:57

I for one can believe what sk8punk151 says. Some of us have had quite a different 56k experiences.
Like just once, I downloaded &#39;The Exorcist&#39; (400mb) in 30 minutes, through ordinary 56k. I dont know if it was the voltage, or some kind of buffer mix up, but the file was complete and perfect...

N£MO
05-26-2003, 09:46 AM
I posted this tip about 3 months ago.I&#39;m on 56k in England and after BT turned up the gain on my line my speed was and still is alot more constant then it was before.So give it a try,its not illegal here in England to do.

Natsume Atsuko
05-26-2003, 10:01 AM
The Exorcist&#39; (400mb) in 30 minutes, through ordinary 56k.

lol
But the download speed would have to be average of around 228kb/s for that&#33; I am not saying you lie, but this makes me more puzzled than anything I ever heard before. I mean the MODEM itself should not be able to go that high, even if the lines would. I guess this is another one of the "unsolved mysteries"..

hollerz
05-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by N£MO@26 May 2003 - 09:46
I posted this tip about 3 months ago.I&#39;m on 56k in England and after BT turned up the gain on my line my speed was and still is alot more constant then it was before.So give it a try,its not illegal here in England to do.
Hi,

do you have to ring them from the line you want it turning up on or can you ring them and tell them the number of another line you want it turning up on?

Cheers

N£MO
05-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by hollerz+26 May 2003 - 11:15--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hollerz @ 26 May 2003 - 11:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--N£MO@26 May 2003 - 09:46
Hi,

do you have to ring them from the line you want it turning up on or can you ring them and tell them the number of another line you want it turning up on?

Cheers [/b][/quote]
I rang them from my line but i&#39;m sure if you have the billing details for the number then they would turn it up from any number.

vlovich
05-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@26 May 2003 - 06:55
lol? I have been using computers for 10 years. I know plenty. hah. I am not gullible and I know my connection speed and my modem. Just because I can get fast speeds and you can&#39;t doesnt mean shit. You don&#39;t have to be a smart ass about it either.. Oh, and talking shit online is for pussys my friend. <_<

The only &#39;n00b&#39; here is you. You only have 8 post and already are beggining to talk shit and act like a smart ass.&nbsp; :)
i&#39;m a n00b cause i only have 8 posts on this forum? wow... thanks for telling me. i guess the hundreds of posts on other hardware forums and warez forums don&#39;t count for anything. you stay on your 56k then if you think you can download at anything over 7 Kbytes/s. Instead of talking bull, why don&#39;t you post a screenshot of your download halfway through and still downloading over 7 KBytes/s because we all now (well you might not) that most download accelerators don&#39;t report the correct speed for the first part of the download. better yet, i&#39;ll send you my ftp info, and you download a file of your choosing. since my max upload is 20 KBytes consistent, this should be more than enough to prove you wrong.

vlovich
05-26-2003, 09:52 PM
you know, sk8punk151 and isuru would be those kind of people who would believe you if you told them they could go faster than the speed of light

N£MO
05-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by vlovich+26 May 2003 - 22:33--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vlovich @ 26 May 2003 - 22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sk8punk151@26 May 2003 - 06:55

The only &#39;n00b&#39; here is you. You only have 8 post and already are beggining to talk shit and act like a smart ass. :)
i&#39;m a n00b cause i only have 8 posts on this forum? wow... thanks for telling me. i guess the hundreds of posts on other hardware forums and warez forums don&#39;t count for anything. you stay on your 56k then if you think you can download at anything over 7 Kbytes/s. Instead of talking bull, why don&#39;t you post a screenshot of your download halfway through and still downloading over 7 KBytes/s because we all now (well you might not) that most download accelerators don&#39;t report the correct speed for the first part of the download. better yet, i&#39;ll send you my ftp info, and you download a file of your choosing. since my max upload is 20 KBytes consistent, this should be more than enough to prove you wrong. [/b][/quote]
Very well put and i agree with what your saying.Some people just can&#39;t help talking shite and giving bad attitude. :D

Switeck
05-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@21 May 2003 - 17:57
It has nothing to do with turning up the voltage. In fact, its illegal to turn it up. FCC made it illegal in the United States (dont know why..) that you can only get i think 50k down and 25k up.. I think thats it, although I am not 100% sure. Its somewhere along those lines..
As far as download/upload speed limits, 56k speeds in the USA are limited to ~53.6k down and about the same speed up... BUT modems aren&#39;t designed to reach upload speeds that high.

Back when I was on a 56k, I could get 50.6 kbps connect speeds and ~5 to 5.5KB/sec download speeds.

v.90 56k modems are limited to 33.6k upload speeds
v.92 56k modems are limited to 48k upload speeds

VERY few will actually reach those values, but many get 90% or more of that.

sk8punk151
05-26-2003, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes: Why would isuru and I &#39;talk shit&#39; and &#39;lie&#39; just for the fun of it? LOL.. Umm, ok well shit happens.. A mod should lock this before that smart ass gets babbling again about how in-genius he is with computers

vlovich
05-27-2003, 03:39 AM
i&#39;m not saying i&#39;m a genius. i&#39;m saying you should read a bit of research before you open your mouth. perhaps you have kbits and kbytes mixed up. i dunno. read Switeck&#39;s post cause he&#39;s dead on about what he&#39;s talking about. and before you start talking back more, put your money where your mouth is. i am pming you right now with ftp details. go on at any time when you think your getting great speeds and start downloading. i&#39;ll post on the forum with the results as soon as you do so.

vlovich
05-27-2003, 03:42 AM
and sk8punk151, if 56k could reach the speeds you say, why don&#39;t all telco&#39;s do that for their low-end service. it sure beats out the cable offerings especially at a much lower price. if 56k (or even a faster derivative) could reach that speed, telcos would&#39;ve found a way to do so. as it stands, analog modems are stuck at a maximum physical transfer speed of 56 Kbits/sec. it&#39;s not even the modem that has anything to do with it. it&#39;s the actual way that they transfer data. that&#39;s why it took a while to bring it up to 56 K from 33.6K and even then they limited it because they feared that it would provide a lot of interference (if you don&#39;t know what that is, it meant that modem signals would spill over into normal communication)

vlovich
05-27-2003, 03:43 AM
okay. pm is now sent. let&#39;s see how he replies. as soon as he start&#39;s downloading from me, i will post an update. if he manages to get any speeds higher than 7 Kbytes/sec (won&#39;t even manage that) on a 56k modem, i will shut up. i promise. and then i will switch from my &#036;40 broadband connection to a 56k one for &#036;10

PS. sorry bout the double post

PPS. Just to recap what this thread was about, DarthInsinuate made a suggestion on how to increase your 56K modem from 4KBytes/s to 5 Kbytes/s. Maybe his suggestion is worth a try.

kennyboy
05-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Going back to the comment about noobs and number of posts, I think you will find that many people only post when they have something USEFUL to say. NOT just posting for the sake of looking more knowledgable. This from a 56k person who is lucky to get 3-4kbs no matter where my modem thinks it is. I actually live in Thailand, but I have told it MANY times it is in USA. Still doesn&#39;t get faster&#33;........Useless&#33;&#33;

Xanex
05-28-2003, 12:43 PM
The old style pre adsl phone lines can actually take a maximum 64k rather than 56k (post adsl lines can take 64k but there are no 64k modems), i know why they are at 56k in the first place, this is due to it being the mean speed the phone lines can take and since, was made standard. Im uk and when i was on 56k i was connecting at 54k all the time. and i was with aol as well, weird non?

But why in the USA they are capped?. why is it illegal to have faster speeds? . can somebody explain both of these points
Xan

vlovich
05-28-2003, 11:14 PM
correction: i was incorrect. the FCC didn&#39;t limit 56K modems to 53Kbits because of interference.
It simply limited the amount of power that can be put onto a phone line. However, apperantly this restriction was lifted in 1998. But 7 Kbytes/s is still impossible for 56K because you have to take overhead into account as well which means that for every packet that you recieve every second, a fraction of that packet will be header/tail which means, for instance, if you have a 14 Kbyte file, and your modem is constantly transferring at 7 Kbytes/s, it will take longer than 2 seconds to dowload the file, which means your actual speed will still be perhaps 6.7

sk8punk151
05-29-2003, 03:31 AM
Ok, I know your all going to dismiss this as a fake or something to that extent, but it isnt. I know, it&#39;s not kazaa and its not windows downloader, but when I was downloading this program off of cnet.com download manager I was reaching the speeds I have said I have reached before.. This is my proof.. Say what you want, I truly don&#39;t care what you people think any more..

http://image.uploader.net/uploaded/CE29D271.jpg

sk8punk151
05-30-2003, 12:48 AM
No one has replied yet for the past 12 + hours to my post. I guess I finally fucking proved my self.. christ. :angry:

Wolfmight
05-30-2003, 01:57 AM
well if u got broadband already... i wouldnt try it... They might start to see your pirated software download log or whatever.. :lol: :ph34r: :blink:

ozamosi
05-30-2003, 05:06 PM
you had downloaded about 360k, right? as people have previously stated, in the beginning the speeds seems to be much higher than they are. and we dont know those speeds comes form a 56k connection...

N£MO
05-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@29 May 2003 - 04:31
Ok, I know your all going to dismiss this as a fake or something to that extent, but it isnt. I know, it&#39;s not kazaa and its not windows downloader, but when I was downloading this program off of cnet.com download manager I was reaching the speeds I have said I have reached before.. This is my proof.. Say what you want, I truly don&#39;t care what you people think any more..

I don&#39;t think your photo proves anything,hardly conclusive.

And if you really don&#39;t care what people think then why have you waited and replied to this topic again :P :lol:

sk8punk151
05-30-2003, 10:21 PM
How does my photo not prove anything? It clearly says I am downloading at 35 kb/s.. Its right in front of you.

sk8punk151
05-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ozamosi@30 May 2003 - 18:06
you had downloaded about 360k, right? as people have previously stated, in the beginning the speeds seems to be much higher than they are. and we dont know those speeds comes form a 56k connection...
360 k is not the begining dude.. It took like 30 seconds to get that far.. and if you look at the bar, its almost half done..

Switeck
05-31-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@30 May 2003 - 17:21
How does my photo not prove anything? It clearly says I am downloading at 35 kb/s.. Its right in front of you.
What we&#39;ve all been saying is 56k modems take whatever you want to send or receive and COMPRESSES them like WinZIP before sending it.

BUT... it counts the rate the file reaches the other end as its &#39;download speed&#39; -- NOT the rate at which bits go out your 56k modem.

You were just downloading a file that was very compressable is all, nothing more.

Try it with something UNCOMPRESSABLE from a known, fast site.
If your connection exceeds ~6 KB/sec on THAT, you&#39;ll know you DON&#39;T have a 56k modem. :lol:

sk8punk151
05-31-2003, 06:06 AM
This file was no different the any other .exe that I know of. And it was not compressed at all.. <_< WTF.. IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS.. i am not posting in here any more :angry:

callum
05-31-2003, 03:34 PM
In a previous post you said the fastest you had ever downloaded at was 23.50 kb/s, now you are saying it is 35.4 kb/s.

sk8punk151
05-31-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by callum@31 May 2003 - 16:34
In a previous post you said the fastest you had ever downloaded at was 23.50 kb/s, now you are saying it is 35.4 kb/s.
Is&#39;nt that what the picture fucking says? You bloody retard

hollerz
05-31-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@29 May 2003 - 03:31

Your picture says Rate: 35.4Kbits/sec.

8 bits in a byte.

35.4Kbits = 4.425KBytes

4.425KBytes = Normal 56k speeds.

You = Proved wrong :)

hollerz
05-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151+30 May 2003 - 22:29--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sk8punk151 @ 30 May 2003 - 22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ozamosi@30 May 2003 - 18:06
360 k is not the begining dude.. It took like 30 seconds to get that far.. and if you look at the bar, its almost half done.. [/b][/quote]
And if you were downloading at 35.4KBytes/sec, 360k would only take 10 or so seconds.

Natsume Atsuko
05-31-2003, 09:14 PM
lol Yeah, bit = byte / 8

That explains a lot, you confused bits with bytes I guess.
Happened to me once (I looked that I was downloading @ 60kbit/s and thought WTF at file downloading so slow, then a few hours later I figured out - DAMN it was BITS NOT BYTES&#33; ; Sweared and canceled the download.)

hollerz
05-31-2003, 09:21 PM
yeah easy mistake, he just came on calling everyone n00bs etc. :&#092;

Natsume Atsuko
05-31-2003, 09:36 PM
More attention helps&#33; One i instead of a y means a lot - 8 times difference&#33; ^_^

AzN_Dancer
06-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by sk8punk151@31 May 2003 - 07:06
This file was no different the any other .exe that I know of. And it was not compressed at all.. <_< WTF.. IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS.. i am not posting in here any more :angry:
You got 0wned&#33; B)

Terminal Boredom
06-05-2003, 03:54 PM
The 56K thing has restrictions to it. You must be within X miles of a local hub(not sure of distance) and have a fiber link from there as well. Added to the fact that you are using the TCP/IP protocol which has error checking built in. This means that in addition to the data transfered there is also the parity bits upstream and confirmation coming back downstream. The best I&#39;ve ever had dialing in to the network at work is an actual data rate of 31k/sec. It is respectable but by no means is it the rule.

roy
06-16-2003, 07:21 AM
i rang telstra tech. support here in australia and the tech. there advised me against turning up the gain, gain increase is only used for people over 6.5klms from there exchange because with distance comes loss of signal ,but for users who are within a normal range of an exchange gain increase does not help with downloads it will only serve to increase data errors/loss.he felt at 44k my data loss is about 2%.how do i know this acurate? well i connected to telstra through the hyper terminal & we ran some tests.are my speeds better? well i hav&#39;ent really noticed to much difference between 50k & 44k but i&#39;ve only just done this & only time will tell, but the tech. was also helpful enough to give me other modem comands to try other speeds.
so there you go the charge on the bill for line rental & services has finally been put to use.(lol)

hondarvf400
07-06-2003, 05:04 PM
hi, i have got a 56k modem, and my best download speed is about 5-5.5kb, my uncle works for BT and he told me that if you get the gain turned all the way up it should help you (not sure but i can only guess it would improve it by a little and take it to 6. something i think) but by doing this it does some thing to the phone line so if you only have one line when you use the phone the people you are talking to will have strange voice`s or that want sound normal.

ColinGrigson
07-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Back in my 56k days I tried this with BT in the UK and it worked well. My previous connection speeds ranged from 28.8Kbs to about 40Kbs. Once the gain was turned up I averaged connection speed of 48Kbs.

It&#39;s not necessarily to do with distance from the exchange (although that certainly plays a part) but line quality. Old kit / dodgy cabling = loss of signal.

Another tip is to ensure your modem is connected to the main phone socket, not an extension, and to not have a cordless (analogue or digital I think) phone connected at the same time.

Hope this helps someone... :blink:

WannaPlay
08-04-2003, 10:13 AM
I do hate calling up the phone company (BT). But on this occasion i thought, i might as well call them, seemed like a good enough idea that might actually work. Too bad most of u americans can&#39;t do this :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :P just playing&#33;&#33;&#33;
The gain apparent takes 24 hours. Let u guy&#39;s know how it goes 2morrow.

hpdeskjet697c
08-05-2003, 06:12 AM
I usually get about 3k per sec but i once got just over 7 sustained a long time ago. I downloaded like that for about 10 megs till the file finished. I was so astounded I took this pic: http://snow.prohosting.com/gglswrth/mine.x its not edited though I cant prove that... What do you make of it? Just a fluke or what?

3rd gen noob
08-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by hpdeskjet697c@5 August 2003 - 07:12
I usually get about 3k per sec but i once got just over 7 sustained a long time ago. I downloaded like that for about 10 megs till the file finished. I was so astounded I took this pic: http://snow.prohosting.com/gglswrth/mine.x its not edited though I cant prove that... What do you make of it? Just a fluke or what?
LEEECH

<_<

balamm
08-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Absolutely&#33;&#33; No excuse, that download would have taken a considerable amount of time.

Maybe we should all enter that IP into our blocked lists.

WannaPlay
08-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Looks like the gain worked&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; The computer it&#39;s self actually noticed a change in speed...and having checked at pcpitstop.com how fast my downloads are....not a big improvement:(. It&#39;s only improved by 2ks to 41k which is still poor. Just found out as well that the bastards at bt limite the downloads to 45.6 k for dial up users...cause of the gain it&#39;s gone up by one to 46.6k. I hardly notice any speed change with a 1k gain.

Did u guy&#39;s specify to the operators how much of a gain u guy&#39;s wanted???

hpdeskjet697c
08-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by balamm@5 August 2003 - 06:38
Absolutely&#33;&#33; No excuse, that download would have taken a considerable amount of time.

Maybe we should all enter that IP into our blocked lists.
hmm... right well adding my ip to your block list wouldn&#39;t do a hell of a lotta good since i&#39;m on dial-up and that means I&#39;m on a dynamic ip. And if you block a range then you block a lot more poeple than just me. And since my isp provides cable and dsl internet then you may be blocking people who are actually sharing files at a fast rate. Then theres the fact that my isp changes the first part of my ip dramaticaly every couple of months or so.

Excuse me if I have a small hard drive and I keep my downloads on cds.