PDA

View Full Version : How to move uTorrent, torrent info?

elkinm
09-18-2006, 01:03 AM
I will be moving to a new system and hard drive soon. And I have some active torrents, some downloading some seeding.

The question is how can I transfer the torrent information so utorrent will see and continue downloading and seeding current torrents.

I can move the complete and incomplete files to the proper directories, but just to have utorrent see them without having to reload the original torrent file.

Thanks

thesixthsensor
09-18-2006, 01:29 AM
All you have to do is copy the file that you have downloaded so far to your new hard drive. Then find the original torrent link where you downloaded it from and click download. When the menu comes up in utorrent save it to the same folder as the already existing files. Utorrent will then check the file and begin downloading from where you left off.

Pr1nc3
09-18-2006, 06:06 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\~\Application Data\uTorrent is where all data is put, unless you told uTorrent to save that info in a different folder.

copy all the files found in
C:\Documents and Settings\~\Application Data\uTorrent from your old pc to the
C:\Documents and Settings\~\Application Data\uTorrent in the new pc.

replace ~ with your user name.

treesap
09-18-2006, 07:03 AM
is utorrent a lot better than Azureus? Why or why not?

Pr1nc3
09-18-2006, 07:39 AM
is utorrent a lot better than Azureus? Why or why not?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t116168-uTorrent+vs.+Azureus.html

elkinm
09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
All you have to do is copy the file that you have downloaded so far to your new hard drive. Then find the original torrent link where you downloaded it from and click download. When the menu comes up in utorrent save it to the same folder as the already existing files. Utorrent will then check the file and begin downloading from where you left off.

I can copy the data, the problem is with the original torrent files as most of the time I delete it when complete and let the torrent keep going. I am not sure I have all the original torrents for the ones still downloading.
Is there any place utorrent stores torrents as they do still work even if I delete the original torrent file?

Thanks

I like utorrent because it is blazing fast and uses no resources unlike Azureus.

lysine
09-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Is there any place utorrent stores torrents as they do still work even if I delete the original torrent file?

Start > Run
%appdata%/utorrent/

unless you've specified another place in the utorrent options.

danielbernarde
09-18-2006, 08:47 PM
lol

thesixthsensor
09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
all you have to do is find the link online where you originally got it from... if you can find them lol

somerjo99
09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks for the help, very good advice

Melchior00
09-19-2006, 01:00 AM
I prefer Utorrent, I tryed azereus and BitComet so far.. User friendly, don't ask too much to run.. and for some reason, when bitcomet was running, I could't not use firefox or any other web browser.. Meaby BitC can use more bandwith rather than Utorrent.. ?

thesixthsensor
09-19-2006, 02:20 AM
anytime

elkinm
09-21-2006, 06:24 PM
There is on more problem. I have completed torrents moved to a different folder. When I leave the torrent in utorrent it knows to look in the destination folder, but if I delete and then reopen the torrent from the original file, it starts downloading the entire file.

I have some large torrents I am downloading that I download in stages. This is why I want to remember the old torrents. I suppose I can only select to download what I don't have yet but it is still an annoyance.

Thanks

thesixthsensor
09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
It should'nt start downloading the original file. It should check it but not redownload it. Just make sure you always save in the same folder as your original file. This is all i know to tell you... sorry

Pr1nc3
09-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Under Preferences go to Downloads where you enable Don't start the download automatically.
Also in the same window, enable Always show dialog in manual add.
Confirm what you enabled by clicking on OK.
When adding the (already existing) torrents, make sure you direct to the correct location. You must confirm by clicking on the aproppriate (existing) file.
uTorrent will show ratio is 0.0 also percentage done will show 0.000
Next you do a Force Recheck (right click on the file in the main window), you will see uTorrent doing a countdown on the recheck, at the end, your file will show 100%. Then you can start the file, and your seeding will take off.

Hope this helps.