PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen of death XP PRO, HELP!!

KazaaBoy
09-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Try and bare with me as I explain as much as possible.

My system specs

3.40 GHZ Intel Pentium 4 HT technology video card integrated into the motherboard Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family memory size 128MB

BIOS information - Intel Video Bios

512MB DDR2 RAM

200GB HDD x2

XP professional SP2 all patches updates etc....

Everytime I load a software to convert something like a AVI to DVD I get the Blue screen of death and I have to restart the computer. Even trying to export something from Adobe Premier makes it have the blue screen. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic - extensive search but it found no errors.

I Flashed the BIOS + Run video conversion = The BSOD came up straight away. I guess it's not the BIOS. After flashing it, the fan went very very quite almost silent.

Formated the HDD and reinstalled windows but it still happens.

I think it could be the CPU over heating but why would that cause a blue screen of death instead of just restarting?

Here is the complete memory dump if someone wants to take a look at it. Please Please someone help as it's driving me crazy and I got university coming up. I need my PC working at full performance!!

http://feet-international.co.uk/pics/MEMORY.rar

Someone went through the debugger and sent me this but they don't know what's causing it.

==========================================================
I got the following info below... I am not sure an exact cause... as i could be hardware or driver related I think..

http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_192f.htm

and the exception address says it occured in ntkrpamp.exe which is a system service

I can try and find out more info but thats it for now :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (7e)
This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Arguments:
Arg1: c0000005, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: 80503ff8, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: f8891748, Exception Record Address
Arg4: f8891444, Context Record Address
Debugging Details:
------------------

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+8
80503ff8 0f2b4100 movntps xmmword ptr [ecx],xmm0

EXCEPTION_RECORD: f8891748 -- (.exr fffffffff8891748)
ExceptionAddress: 80503ff8 (nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+0x00000008)
ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
Parameter[0]: 00000001
Parameter[1]: 783c2000
Attempt to write to address 783c2000

CONTEXT: f8891444 -- (.cxr fffffffff8891444)
eax=00000040 ebx=783c2000 ecx=783c2000 edx=00000000 esi=00000000 edi=0000ce9b
eip=80503ff8 esp=f8891810 ebp=f8891840 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00010246
nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+0x8:
80503ff8 0f2b4100 movntps xmmword ptr [ecx],xmm0 ds:0023:783c2000=????????????????????????????????
Resetting default scope

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: INTEL_CPU_MICROCODE_ZERO

PROCESS_NAME: System

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

WRITE_ADDRESS: 783c2000

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7E

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 80503ff8

STACK_TEXT:
f8891810 00000000 00008000 00000000 80561070 nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+0x8

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+8
80503ff8 0f2b4100 movntps xmmword ptr [ecx],xmm0

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrpamp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 443c4981

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+8

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xfffffffff8891444 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7E_nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+8

BUCKET_ID: 0x7E_nt!KiXMMIZeroPageNoSave+8

Followup: MachineOwner

==========================================================

The bluescreen of death is getting worse now as it just happens when ever.

Thank you for the help, I really appriciate it.

zapjb
09-18-2006, 12:23 PM
I think lack of RAM combined with editing/converting with shared shared 128MB. I think thats it.

dodgy368
09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Update your graphic card and modem drivers, that fixed it for me.:)

somerjo99
09-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Its really hard to get rid of the blue screen of death, i think only option would be to do a new format

Virtualbody1234
09-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Its really hard to get rid of the blue screen of death, i think only option would be to do a new format

He said that he did that already.

I say. Try other drivers for your system. Chipset and Video drivers being the most important.

Also check your temps.

KazaaBoy
09-19-2006, 01:46 AM
ok I updated graphic card and modem drivers. I still get the BSOD.

Chipset and video drivers I also updated. Still getting the BSOD.

What do you mean temps? Like temperature?

Man this is really pissing me off I don't know what to do anymore. Anyone know where I can get cheap DDR2 RAM to test it on? I wanna know if it's the RAM altho I did run a test on it I wanna replace it just incase.

peat moss
09-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Wow ! I'm impressed with the info you just gave , your no dummy . If it ain't memory or drivers may be heat related . Have you tried removing the sides of the case ,cleaning fans etc. ? You know when I get stuck like this I take it to a shop they have the resources to test your HDD., memory , power supply .

A good shop will do it for less than $ 20.00 and at least you'll know . Probably not what you want to hear , just my opinion . :)

david02
09-19-2006, 03:55 AM
Hi,

try this program and see if your computer can handle it. more info below

http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v2414.exe

good luck

''This program is a good stress test for the CPU, memory, L1 and L2 caches, CPU cooling, and case cooling. The torture test runs continuously, comparing your computer's results to results that are known to be correct. Any mismatch and you've got a problem! Note that the torture test sometimes reads from and writes to disk but cannot be considered a stress test for hard drives."

Instructions - Download, install and run. In the "Options" menu select "Torture Test", then "Ok", let it run for a minimum of one hour, preferably overnight for a thorough test. On a working stable system this test should never fail. Any errors or failures indicate a hardware problem. The exact cause of a hardware problem can be very hard to find. If both the Harddrive and Memory Diagnostic passed then the most likely causes are Overheating, a faulty Mainboard, a faulty CPU or a faulty Power Supply''

end quote

david02
09-19-2006, 04:01 AM
one more thing

please let me know what brand is your harddrive.

peat moss
09-19-2006, 04:09 AM
@david02 while your intentions are good ,last thing I'm going to do is open an EXE. file from someone I don't know . Do you have a link to said file ?

KazaaBoy
09-19-2006, 04:34 AM
@david02

I ran the test under blend and it went into the Blue screen of death so I guess it might be ram no doubt.

I also ran it under "small FFT" and it crashed but it did not give me a blue screen of death

[Tue Sep 19 05:20:55 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 0CFF84E4, expected: F6BD0728.
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Tue Sep 19 05:26:53 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 9EB6A06B, expected: F6BD0728.

dodgy368
09-19-2006, 05:26 AM
If you have 2 sticks of ram then test one at a time.

Check your temps with Everest, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

KazaaBoy
09-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Could Virtual Memory be causing this?

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/156/vmri1.jpg

I have 512MB but it says I got 503MB and only using 283MB??

I heard that virtual memory can cause BSOD. Could this be a problem because I ran a memory tool from dos and it found no errors at all. The memory is 6 months old so I am sure it can't be it.

Chewie
09-19-2006, 08:46 AM
The memory is 6 months old so I am sure it can't be it.
Age has nothing to do with it. Things go wrong and they can do so at any time. It's not uncommon for a product to be faulty when purchased.

Virtualbody1234
09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
@david02

I ran the test under blend and it went into the Blue screen of death so I guess it might be ram no doubt.

I also ran it under "small FFT" and it crashed but it did not give me a blue screen of death

[Tue Sep 19 05:20:55 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 0CFF84E4, expected: F6BD0728.
[Tue Sep 19 05:26:53 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 9EB6A06B, expected: F6BD0728.

What does it say in the stress.txt file?

Check your temperatures under full load. Post the results.

Delorean
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
If even under format the problem persists, the Ram or high temps could be the problem.

However, just a thought, could one of your HDD be faulty and as a result cousing this?

david02
09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Peat Moss,

You can find it here

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

greetings

david02
09-19-2006, 03:44 PM
503 MB of RAM?

I find that a real strange number :)
shouldn't Everest say it is 512 or am I missing something?

most likely it is a RAM problem :(

as said by dodgy367 and in the instructions below try one module at a time if you have 2x 256 MB modules and try it in in different slots. that sure will isolate the faulty module (no BSoD = memory OK) If you have one 512 MB module also try it in a different slot.

doublecheck it with memtest which can be found here

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Instructions - Download the "Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)" to "c:\memtest", insert a blank formatted 1.44MB Floppy Disk into the Floppy Drive. Unzip the file to the same folder, run "install.bat". At the prompt type "a" and press enter, if the disk is in the drive press enter again. Then wait for it to complete. When it is finished, reboot your PC leaving the disk in the drive, your computer should boot to the disk automatically. If it does not consult your PC manufacturer for further instructions. Once it boots it will run the test automatically, let it run for 3 passes. Intermittent memory errors require a more thorough test of running the diagnostic overnight. If you get any errors (designated in red) then you most likely have a defective memory module and it will need to be replaced. To be sure try reseating the module and testing it in another slot. If you have more then one memory module in your system you will need to test one at a time to isolate the defective module.

Notes - You will not be able to read the Floppy Disk in Windows when it is finished being made, this is due to the file system used by Memtest98+ not being supported in Windows. This is normal.

end quote

peat moss
09-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Peat Moss,

You can find it here

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

greetings

Ah thank you . :)

Ya 503 mb is weird as the used and free = 502 . He has shared video I take it ? Mabye wrong chip set drivers ?

david02
09-20-2006, 12:34 AM
hmmm I thought everest would display (in the memory section) the real amount of ram (in your case 512) but it looks this is not the case (I wonder why) . Everest told me I have 511 MB Ram, not 512. Although it says 512 MB on section computer/summary I still find this strange .

Do other people have this too?

and yeah Peat Moss, It looks like Everest cannot calculate that well

Used ram + free ram = total ram -1(!)

strangly it calculates the same way on my configuration

Can someone explain this ?

I'll try to find an explanation but I do not have that much time now.

suprafreak6
09-20-2006, 02:29 AM
2 options left, ram problem or heat problem, as for ram, i think you have to little, but 512 should be fine with most programs

peat moss
09-20-2006, 03:15 AM
2 options left, ram problem or heat problem, as for ram, i think you have to little, but 512 should be fine with most programs

I wish he would post the stress test text as VB asked maybe some clue there ?

You know I'm grasping at straws here , but on board vid takes what 16 mb of memory ? Wonder if before you formatted you fucked in the bios too ? Be curious what the settings for your mobo are ?

Video memory ,shadowing etc. You can adjust the amount of video memory allocated in the BIOS .

I'd look there mabye you have a wrong setting ? :ermm:

david02
09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
hmmm I thought everest would display (in the memory section) the real amount of ram (in your case 512) but it looks this is not the case (I wonder why) . Everest told me I have 511 MB Ram, not 512. Although it says 512 MB on section computer/summary I still find this strange .

Do other people have this too?

and yeah Peat Moss, It looks like Everest cannot calculate that well

Used ram + free ram = total ram -1(!)

strangly it calculates the same way on my configuration

Can someone explain this ?

I'll try to find an explanation but I do not have that much time now.

hmm I got a message from Fiery , on the lavalyst everest forum
. I do not have an onboard gfx card but anyway
----

In most cases the remaining amount of memory is used by the onboard video. EVEREST shows the amount of RAM the operating system can utilize.

For example, when you have 4 GB RAM, and you're running a Windows XP 32-bit OS, then WinXP can only use 3.0 or 3.5 GB of RAM -- and then EVEREST will show the 3.0 or 3.5 GB amount on the Computer / Summary page, instead of the 4 GB total RAM.

If you want to check the actual, physical memory amount, you can go to the Motherboard / SPD page for the installed memory module details.

Regards,
Fiery

david02
09-21-2006, 09:22 PM
btw is the probem of blue screen of deah solved?

KazaaBoy
09-22-2006, 02:06 PM
No it isn't solved. The company came and took it for repair because it's under warranty. They will tell me what's wrong with it and hopefully no more BSOD.

killuminati96
09-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Anytime you want to video game or mess with video editing you should have 1 GB of RAM or higher. I suggest higher because even at 1 GB you'll get freezes and sudden reboots sometimes. A lot of WinXP machines got sold with 256 MB RAM out the box which wasn't enough. Later they started selling them with 512 which is much better but still not enough for heavy use. Computers are running with more and more programs running all at once which takes system resources. Computer makers only care about making sure the os runs stable out the box with the bare minimum to keep prices down. It's up to you to beef it up & keep it running smooth as you install lots of stuff.

DanB
09-22-2006, 05:19 PM
I had a random BSOD problem ages ago, it would happen randomly even when using a webcam with MSN. Turned out there was a tiny dent/scratch on the cpu where the fan had come off during shipping and given it a whack. :dry:

Virtualbody1234
09-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Anytime you want to video game or mess with video editing you should have 1 GB of RAM or higher. I suggest higher because even at 1 GB you'll get freezes and sudden reboots sometimes...
I would say that if you get freezes and sudden reboots with 1GB then it's not due to "not enough RAM". Something else is causing it.

peat moss
09-23-2006, 01:07 AM
No it isn't solved. The company came and took it for repair because it's under warranty. They will tell me what's wrong with it and hopefully no more BSOD.

Under warranty ? :frusty: Cripes I suggested taking it to a shop a few pages ago . Why beat your self up its the manufacturers problem . I think I'v been here too long , I forget the obvious . :ermm:

KazaaBoy
09-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Ok I got my PC back and I am gonna put it through some tests like before.

There was a repair check list with it for me as a customer copy. Here is what it said

"Attempted XP repair
windows was to corrupt to repair
reinstalled xp media centre
replaced modem
all systems tests ok"

He can't even spell "too corrupt"

Mother fucker formated my HDD. Gonna call them tomorrow and yall at them over the phone. I am gonna take out the modem as I don't use it and if it's gonna be a problem then it shouldnt be there.

Gonna put it through the test and get back here.

Virtualbody1234
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM

There was a repair check list with it for me as a customer copy. Here is what it said

"Attempted XP repair
replaced modem
all systems tests ok"

Mother fucker formated my HDD. Gonna call them tomorrow and yall at them over the phone. I am gonna take out the modem as I don't use it and if it's gonna be a problem then it shouldnt be there.

You can't even spell "yell at them" :P

Did they charge you?

peat moss
09-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Replaced modem that you don't use ? Why the fuck was it even there in the first place . Even the so called experts gave up and formatted , thats priceless ! Shitty thing is you 'll never know what the real reason was , bet it was the crappy PSU it came with .

Oh well just start backing up your important files , and live and learn . ;)

limesqueezer
09-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Experts don't format, noobs do. Its about the only thing they did 2 times i let them. Second time i even gave them a message with: don't format, and they did it anyway.

lynx
09-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Everest does not count the bottom 1MB of ram, because that's where the bios is stored. W2K and XP don't use it after boot up. I wonder how many people knew that.

So 512MB of memory becomes 511MB, and if the graphics controller is using 8MB that leaves 503MB for the system. To me, that doesn't indicate a memory problem.

I'm pretty sure your system should not be running ntkrpamp.exe. Ntkrpamp.exe is the multi-processor version of ntkrnlpa.exe, which is loaded because you've got HT enabled, and ntkrnlpa.exe is the PAE (Physical Address Extension) version of ntoskrnl.exe.

PAE is really only for systems with very large amounts of memory, and can cause problems in drivers which can't handle 64-bit addresses.

You should modify c:\boot.ini (in notepad) and remove " /PAE" from the boot string. Make a copy of boot.ini onto a floppy disk first, just in case you screw it up.

Edit: Damn, just noticed that it's gone back for repair - I'm not surprised they didn't find the problem.

kazaa2002
09-28-2006, 09:26 PM

"Attempted XP repair
replaced modem
all systems tests ok"

Hi kazaaboy,
was it the xp-pro disk that was bad?
bsod fixed?
we always like a mystery, but I am curious
how was your problem resolved?

dodgy368
09-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Experts don't format

What do experts do then?

Would love to know why the modem was replaced, I'm guessing it was causing the problem so they replaced it and formatted to put an undamaged copy of XP on it, don't know why they didn't explain it though.

Chewie
09-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Experts don't format

What do experts do then?We write 00000000 all over it with a pencil.

limesqueezer
09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
It's not uncommon for a product to be faulty when purchased.

That happens when you buy from experts and you ain't a expert yourself

peat moss
09-29-2006, 02:26 AM
It's not uncommon for a product to be faulty when purchased.

Oh really , your full shit ! What on earth made you come up with that statement ? Ive seen faulty products from cars to tv's that I 'v spent my hard earned money on , I think thats why they have a Lemon Guide , so people don't listen to schmucks like you . :)

Virtualbody1234
09-29-2006, 02:37 AM

Oh really , your full shit ! What on earth made you come up with that statement ? Ive seen faulty products from cars to tv's that I 'v spent my hard earned money on , I think thats why they have a Lemon Guide , so people don't listen to schmucks like you . :)

He's an expert.

Ex as in "has been" and spurt as in "drip under pressure".

peat moss
09-29-2006, 02:58 AM
Well Vb that's the difference I guess between offering advice and just trying to help . If you don't really know ...just defer to another member . Problem solved hopefully .

Again not one of better my posts , but fuck it time is short and where is that ingore button again ? :ermm:

Virtualbody1234
09-29-2006, 03:16 AM
... and where is that ingore button again ? :ermm:

In your User Control Panel. Look near the bottom left for Buddy / Ignore Lists ;)

peat moss
09-29-2006, 03:29 AM
... and where is that ingore button again ? :ermm:

In your User Control Panel. Look near the bottom left for Buddy / Ignore Lists ;)

Not you butt head , him . :D OK lets move to the lounge . :lol:

Virtualbody1234
09-29-2006, 03:35 AM

Not you butt head , him . :D OK lets move to the lounge . :lol:
I knew exactly who you meant. :lol:

KazaaBoy
09-29-2006, 11:55 PM
You guys are jokers :P

Everything is running smooth for now. I had one BSOD since it came back from the repair so I took out the modem and TV tuner I never use which were taking up two PCI slots. Since I took them out nothing has happend so far everything ok. Let's see how long it will last.

peat moss
09-30-2006, 11:15 PM
You guys are jokers :P

Everything is running smooth for now. I had one BSOD since it came back from the repair so I took out the modem and TV tuner I never use which were taking up two PCI slots. Since I took them out nothing has happend so far everything ok. Let's see how long it will last.

Ah good but don't give up, if it still craps out take it back . I'm thinking its still under warranty ? It might be the mobo , thats a lot work to replace if you don't know what your doing . So even one blue screen is too many ! :)

KazaaBoy
09-30-2006, 11:20 PM
You're right it's still under warranty and I am going to make that warranty work for me. hehe!!

peat moss
10-01-2006, 04:25 PM
You're right it's still under warranty and I am going to make that warranty work for me. hehe!!

Don't settle for any less than what you paid for and expect . Take it back every time it BSOD , it may be a simple thing like them adding anouther fan or replacing the PSU .

I'v sent over 15 people to a certain white box computer store and 3 had problems with the power supply . Of cource my buddies would call me and complain . :whistling Now I just ask the store to include a better PSU in the final price .

limesqueezer
10-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Shit, they sell about everything these days, only warranty can save you and after that you can write to experts on this forum for more happy hours and hope for a miracle. :)

peat moss
10-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Shit, they sell about everything these days, only warranty can save you and after that you can write to experts on this forum for more happy hours and hope for a miracle. :)

I don't see any experts on here , just people that had the same problem or something like it . Whats wrong with giving advice , hell a new poster could help if he had the same trouble . I 'v always been amazed at the many ways to fix a windows problem . I learn something new on this forum every time I log in . :)

I may have had read your post wrong , so yes some of your posts too . :yup: