PDA

View Full Version : Got a new mobo

Shiranai_Baka
09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Now I don't have to format windows because its the same chipset (NForce 4 Ultra) right? I don't want to go through the damn process.

lynx
09-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Probably.

Chewie
09-20-2006, 08:22 PM
See if it boots.
A few weeks ago I replaced a mobo with one using a slightly different chipset; XP Home booted fine, installing as it went, and didn't ask to activate again.

Shiranai_Baka
09-21-2006, 02:23 AM
What do you mean slightly different?

mr. nails
09-21-2006, 04:47 AM
whenever u do a major upgrade to ur pc it's best to always format imo. if u partitioned ur hdd there shouldn't be a prob and should take less the 1 hour to get everything back the way it was.

Chewie
09-21-2006, 08:19 AM
What do you mean slightly different?
I mean that the old motherboard had an Intel chipset but the one I replaced it with had a newer Intel chipset. I don't remember the specifics.
There's a small thread about it round here someplace. I put an ASRock P4i65G board into a prebuilt and XP Home didn't complain.

Chewie
09-21-2006, 08:21 AM
whenever u do a major upgrade to ur pc it's best to always format imo. if u partitioned ur hdd there shouldn't be a prob and should take less the 1 hour to get everything back the way it was.
Apart from installing all that extra software, configuring firewalls, email, internet connections, downloading updates...

mr. nails
09-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Apart from installing all that extra software, configuring firewalls, email, internet connections, downloading updates...

even doing that it should take x>1hour

david02
09-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Why not just try? I can't hurt.If you have problems which cannot be solved then you can do a clean install.

Shiranai_Baka
09-25-2006, 03:46 AM
The problem is I have numerous programs installed already and saying something like "Just try it" would just be a total waste of time if people on this forum have the answer.

I installed the mobo later on the same day of the first post and it runs fine. It just had some BSOD issues because I didn't put the jumpers for the dvd roms correctly. So here is your answer: You do not need to format if the chipset is the same!