PDA

View Full Version : Punk In Drublic

complete noob
05-07-2003, 05:34 PM
rock vs. rap. Who gives a shit. Punk (rock) pwnz all. Anyone who says punk is dead hasn't heard of bands like Strung Out, Teen Idols, Rise Against, Bouncing Souls, Goldfinger, or Dropkick Murphey's. Sum182 doesn't count as punk btw... Always looking to explore the genre more, if anyone who "gets this" post can name some cool punk bands please post em up here so I can check em out. Ska is allowed, but keep your emo outta this thread plz =)
P.S. This is not a debate topic, flame elsewhere, or better yet, go back to mtv and eat whatever they're feeding the masses now, and keep on believing punk is dead so your dirty hands won't stain this genre.

P@uLo
05-07-2003, 05:44 PM
try checking out millencolin, pennywise, yellowcard, anti-flag, and catch 22

thats all i can think of off the top of my head B)

the_faceman
05-07-2003, 06:36 PM
i made a post about this kinda thing before.

the main points were....

bands on mtv or any other music channel are not always bad.

bands that are not well known except for on the "underground" scene are not always good, just because they have their own little fan base.

i think music is a mood thing, and your taste changes with it. i don't see why you should restrict youself.

Finch are good, but you probably won't agree because they get on mtv2 etc now.
AFI are good, but you probably won't agree because Sing The Sorrow is a "sell out" record supposedly.
Bad Religion are good, dunno what you would say about them.
some of the Descendents stuff is good, as is some of NOFX's stuff.
i like the new Transplants album, but seeing as they have a video on mtv i think, they must actually suck in your view.
if you don't like Madness then you're crazy.
i'm not a big fan, but you might like the Voodoo Glow Skulls.
There's Less Than Jake too, who were pretty good live, but they have MTV videos too :o oh no!
I like the Ataris, but can see why a lot of people don't think much of them.
You could check out The Aquabats, but Travis Barker from Blink-182 (and Boxcar Racer and the Transplants) used to play with them, so obviously they are a no-go area for you. Not like he's a good drummer or anything.........

i've spared you all the "emo" stuff i like. and everything else that i like from almost 500 albums.
I'm not flaming you, just trying to make u open up your musical horizons a little.

thats all i can think of just now.

the_faceman
05-07-2003, 06:43 PM
PS - If you are looking for punk/ska/etc etc get soulseek at www.slsk.org, version 147 or whatever it's up to now, and join our room, there is also a huge punk room unconnected to this forum that has all the punk stuff that would probably give a guy like yourself wet dreams. If you need more info on soulseek PM Funky Capricorn or use the search feature to find out more.

Proper Bo
05-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Rancid are great! You should really check them out and their rancid/nofx split album they did recently

carbert
05-07-2003, 07:59 PM
punk-rock rules. NOFX, Pennywise, Descendents, The Hippos, Operation Ivy, The Planet Smashers, Bad Religion, Less Than Jake, The Bouncing Souls, Rancid, Sublime, The Offspring, The Transplants, and most bands on Fat Wreck, Epitaph, Golf Records, Burning Heart Records and Household Name records. im sharing some stuff on soulseek if u want it, i got punk-o-rama 1-7, and some stuff from the bands listed above

Peace

EDIT: Add to that list anything The_Faceman likes, cept emo, not really into that :blink:

complete noob
05-07-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm not such an elitist snob that I refuse to appreciate anything on mtv... I'm actually wearing a less then jake shirt right now, and Greenday rules, no matter what anyone says...you're right though, ya I like Bad religon and catch 22, and you guessed it, afi are sellouts in my book. It wasn't only just a sellout record, but it sounds awefull[y] emo to me... I think you missed the meaning of my post mr. faceman, I was refering to the bubblegum punk scene, the shit aimed at 15 y/o girls with a huge fan base only cause the lead singer is just sooo hot *cough*eminem*cough* I'm sharing over 1000 audio files on kazaa, yes, even afi (go ahead and call me a hyprocrite, I can admit that they do have some good stuff): never heard of soulseek before, I'll go look it up before I bother anyone with pm's.
Btw anyone know of any good horror punk bands as well? I'm a big misfits fan, and I like the sounds Cryptkeeper 5 and like bands have
Danke

brotherdoobie
05-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Punk

Agnostic Front
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Black Flag
Buzzcocks
Circle Jerks
The Clash
The Cramps
Dead Kennedys
The Dead Milkmen
The Exploited
Fugazi
The Germs
Green Day
Minor Threat
Pennywise
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Social Distortion
Suicidal Tendencies

Peace brotherdoobie

porkshit
05-07-2003, 09:01 PM
ye, ,they are all good brotherdoobie. if you want a topic to check take a look at This Topic (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=26778&hl=punk+band). i started it a long time ago but it has helped my find lots of good bands. check it

Proper Bo
05-07-2003, 09:02 PM
That's a mighty fine list you got there son

brotherdoobie
05-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Yes I will have to agree(even if I did Post the list)..........LOL

Peace brotherdoobie

Ad
05-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Now theres some REAL punk bands in that list not like blink 182 which no one mentioned which I recall a american Pie groups.

I like punk music

Unwritten Law is another
Offspring (the early Offspring before they becoem comercial!)

I have one critic about punk I CAN PLAY ANY PUNK SONG ON GUITAR IN 1 MINUTE!!!! G5 E5 C5 CHORDS!!!! and the lyrics really do suck somtimes but anyway its sounds good!! and that all that matters

opivy
05-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Operation Ivy
Rancid
The Transplants
Minor Threat
Sex Pistols
Dead Kennedys
The Clash
Lagwagon
and so many more

Lemonade_Spits
05-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Anti Flag
One Way System
Violent Society
Casualties
Oxymoron

Lilmiss
05-09-2003, 04:23 PM
:D [COLOR=purple]here goes my faves;
mustard plug, greenday, me first and the gimme gimmees, skankin pickle, a.f.i, chickenpox, fenix tx, flogging molly, limp, distillers, less than jake, nofx, mad caddies, pennywise, catch 22, the dickies, lagwagon, rancid, operation ivy, the busters, prince buster, the vandals, chixdiggit, mighty mighty bosstones, voodoo glow skulls, mu330, reel big fish, mxpx, guttermouth(their older stuff is better), dropkick murphys, sloppy meat eaters, snuff, strung out, teen idols, nerf herder and snuff.
:w00t:

fat wreck records, honest dons and burning heart all kick ass at good music. its worth having a quick check at their website. :wub:

Lilmiss
05-09-2003, 04:27 PM
:D

complete noob
05-09-2003, 07:02 PM
No one mentioned the Ramones, The Damned, Tiger Army, Bouncing Souls, Face to Face, Progahandhi, Groovy Ghoulies, Suicide Machines, so I will. KEEP THIS LIST GOING PEOPLE!!!
*edit*
Screeching Weasles deserve props too.

And Matt if you're readin this I'll plug your band..lol...Go Buy an Alkaline Trio Cd.

bigwig
05-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Here are some punk bands you might wanna check out: bigwig, cigar, off the record, rufio, 59 times the pain, no fun at all, beerbong, no i.d., 98 mute, backside, death by stereo, district 7, deviates, ghoti hook, good riddance, mxpx, no use for a name, satanic surfers, sectorseven, racer ten, uncalledfor, skipjack, vision, zero down, adhesive, codename: rocky, anti-flag, grayline, lagwagon, trigger happy, frenzal rhomb, kemuri, link 80, mephiskapheles, potshot, pulley, twenty2 and western waste.

Best place to buy cd's from these bands is www.interpunk.com

Hope this helps a bit.

Clear Illusions
05-16-2003, 07:36 AM
Here are some of my fav's...

Gob (pre 'The World According To Gob ')
AFI (pre 'Sing The Sorrow')
Offspring (pre 'Americana')
Anti-Flag
NoFX
Pennywise
Rancid
The Distillers
Goldfinger
A Static Lullaby
Dead Kennedys
Sex Pistols
F-Minus
Heideroosjes
Me First & The Gimme Gimmes
Operation Ivy
Propagandhi
Rise Against
Texas Is The Reason
Guttermouth
Millencolin

Jayhawk
05-16-2003, 07:39 AM
punk is alright nothing real great but has a lot of good stuff

opivy
05-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Man nobody said Youth Brigade or Swingin Utters two of the best

schizo
05-16-2003, 06:39 PM
dunno if i saw it or not but "the vandals" lolz
everything else looks covered up there :)
could list some old uk punk bands but theyre all shit really. ie sham69, the skids, the damned, jilted john.....

also bloodhound gang have a couple a punk tunes, ie kids in america from use your fingers album and wish i was queer from (i think) one feirce beer coaster.
good punk tracks, others on the album just give u joke :)

btw; blink182- bubblegum punk scene? lmao
blink have been around for years, just cos recently younger kids decided punk wasnt just for us old guys dont mean they sold out. same with greenday, offspring etc etc
compare old blink like cheshire cat album to old offspring like smash and see who was more punk.

bigger fan base = better record deals = better produced records
to hardcore fans, that = sell out.
good or bad thing?
depends if you're a true fan or not i suppose.

ahctlucabbuS
05-16-2003, 10:14 PM
How about Turbonegro; Death punk :lol: :lol:
Great texts :lol: