PDA

View Full Version : Linux how to run linux based program on xp

david02
09-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Hi,

Is there an easy way to run linux (debian) based programs on a windows xp system ? Maybe some sort of emulator? I am a linux noob so please forgive me if I say something idiotic

thank you for your time and effort.

ilw
09-23-2006, 01:44 PM
what are you trying to run? Easiest thing would be to find a windows based alternative (or a pre-compiled windows binary)

david02
09-24-2006, 05:23 PM
well, I was downloading a ''fbi forensic cdrom'' so they say . most programs on that need linux . thanks for the reply

Dr0
09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I think VMware would be the best option.

david02
10-04-2006, 06:10 PM
thank you, I will dive into that as soon as I have ennough time

steppinbeatz
11-15-2006, 12:26 PM
I would love to use Freewheeling, Ardour & all the other GREAT Music apps which come with Debian - Agnula, but with MY soundcard. I have a MOTU HD192 soundcard which seems completely unsupported by MOTU for LINUX. I have trolled the net & found no Linux drivers for my card, & do not think i could run all these apps in Windows. I am a pro musician with a lot of XP experience, but would love to move to Linux, this being the main reason stopping me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

4play
11-15-2006, 12:35 PM
why not try a linux live cd and see if support for your card is built into the kernel.

here (http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/edgy/ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso) try ubuntu its about 650 megs big and acts as a live cd when you first start it and then gives you the choice to install it if you find everything works.

Kadmium
11-19-2006, 05:58 AM
As I see it, you have three options:

- VMware (or an alternative application that let's you run a virtual machine)
- Boot up a Debian-based live CD (eg. Ubuntu)
- Break the CD and forget about the whole thing

In my opinion, VMware would be the best solution, but you can also try a Linux live CD, and hope for the best.
If you have any questions, come back to this thread and we'll try to help you out.

Good luck!