PDA

View Full Version : IP Blocking

aliEnRIK
09-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I've done a quick search and no one seems to have mentioned IP BLOCKING

I use Peer Guardian (free download) and it ROCKS

I also update weekly using IP BLOCKLIST (also free)

I get attacked about 6 times every second which this program blocks!

anyone interested post here :D

fkdup74
09-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe you should have done a "not so quick" search.....:happy:

aliEnRIK
09-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Maybe you should have done a "not so quick" search.....:happy:

yeah maybe (shrugs)

so does anyone actually use BLOCKLIST MANAGER?

david02
10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
you get attacked? I have no problem whatsoever with that I think...
Where and how do you get attacked?
Am I missing something?

aliEnRIK
10-03-2006, 05:33 PM
IANA Private Use ~ approx 6 times a second

Microsoft every now and then and tons of others during the day

SHUVT
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I also use PG2 and it seems to block SAFENET and DONet like 10,000 times a day. I do get the occasional Warner Brothers and Sony, but the majority of the list consist of the other 2. Any idea why they show up so often? I also get a few international ones that I am not sure what they are.

harrycary
10-09-2006, 01:44 AM
You aren't getting attacked.

Virtually all those requests you see are merely internet "noise"(for lack of a better word). Mostly nothing to be concerned with.
Just be sure to run a firewall and check for adware/malware and the like. (damn M$!)

While peer guardian does a great job of blocking particular IPs, I find it slows down my surfing substantially, here in the US anyways.

btw, it's not full proof.
I've been sent numerous warning letters from my ISP while using it.

aliEnRIK
10-09-2006, 05:29 AM
You aren't getting attacked.

Virtually all those requests you see are merely internet "noise"(for lack of a better word). Mostly nothing to be concerned with.
Just be sure to run a firewall and check for adware/malware and the like. (damn M$!)

While peer guardian does a great job of blocking particular IPs, I find it slows down my surfing substantially, here in the US anyways.

btw, it's not full proof.
I've been sent numerous warning letters from my ISP while using it.

Letters saying WHAT??

No one cares here in Britain (shrugs)

Peer Guardian doesnt appear to slow me down any (maybe a little but can barely notice)

harrycary
10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Letters saying WHAT??

Letters from HBO, Showtime and various MPAA organizations about illegal files sharing.

No one cares here in Britain (shrugs)

Are you implying you're safe from filesharing because you're in the UK?
I don't think so. The laws there aren't much different and similar organizations
are trying to stem filesharers.

Since Peer guardian blocks advertising & data collecting IPs, pages load slower.

Shadowfire
10-21-2006, 12:45 AM
I used to use PG2, but since I only use IP blocking for the purpose of blocking then for my uTorrent, I just use uTorrent's built-in ipfilter function instead. Either way, it isn't a very effective form of keeping privacy, since the various organizations can just use other IPs.

mr. nails
10-21-2006, 03:27 AM
i would go to work then cum home and my internet was always down. i installed pg2 and looked to see who was accessing my pc and time warner had lots of hits. after the installation of pg2 my internet is never down anymore! it doesn't work? sure it does.

Submission
10-24-2006, 03:47 AM
IP blocking programs work. They work because your ip in a tracker doesn't amount to anything. They need a response from your bt client saying torrent with hash blah blah is here. Why? Because people's ip changes, your ip 2 hours ago could be someone else's now. If you changed your IP 5 mins ago and safenet decided to check if that ip is running bittorrent it wouldn't get any response. What good is that IP to them? If they send a letter now even though they didn't get a response they might as well send random letters based on random ip's.

The question is do they block all the ip's they use? I dont know but i guarantee you that is it MUCH safer to block them. There's only 2 reasons why someone would post for you to not use ip blocking programs. One being they work for them or 2 their ip is on the list.