PDA

View Full Version : Bittorent File Size Problem

red devils
09-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Whenever i dl some file via bittorent,the dl exceeds the actual file size,like if the film or game size is 800MB,the dl will finish at 950MB, 150MB more than the actual size,and its happen with every download,

I have tried peer guardian but nothing works,i am using bitcomet

j0hn
09-24-2006, 03:20 PM
stop using bitcomet, its an aggressive, lame, cheating client.
try utorrent
it automatically bans peers who send u bad data.

red devils
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
But bitcomet gives max speed which utorrent doesnt give

Suphix
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
for me uTorrent is quicker than any other client... ive used BC Azurues and uT

anyway what is all this 'bad data' people talk about what actually is it. wheres is it stored? ive never actutally incounterd any

waterloo
09-24-2006, 10:06 PM
It's a known problem with BitComet. And it's not even due to hashfails or anythin. Happens with every torrent. Course there's a small amount of overhead..exchanging peer data n stuff, but 150MB is plain ridiculous. The only logical explanation could be that there's a bug which causes it to display incorrect\exaggerated stats and the acual amount downloaded is fine.

Like the others have suggested, switch to µtorrent. Maybe BitComet's default settings are better suited to ur connection than µtorrent's. So take some time to set it up correctly and it'll surely give u the same if not better speeds.

Schism
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM

Have your max speed, just know that every major private tracker will ban you for using BitComet.

pandapop
09-24-2006, 11:26 PM

Have your max speed, just know that every major private tracker will ban you for using BitComet.

actually i think you'l find its ok to use bitcomet just about everywhere now :whistling

Skiz
09-24-2006, 11:31 PM

uTorrent will give you much better speeds. You just need to configure it correctly. Plenty of guides here and the uTorrent FAQ.

actually i think you'l find its ok to use bitcomet just about everywhere now

Actually, no, you won't. More and more tracker sites are banning BitComet. Fact.

pandapop
09-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Actually, no, you won't. More and more tracker sites are banning BitComet. Fact.

where? name me more than 3 and i'l give you an apology lol.

mostly all of the top trackers allow it now :cool:

Schism
09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
where? name me 3 or more and i'l give you an apology lol.

I only use 2 trackers, but BitComet is banned from ScT, and I think from OiNK as well.

pandapop
09-25-2006, 12:11 AM
its not banned from sct anymore. check faq.

the only place i know its banned now is oink.

lysine
09-25-2006, 03:25 AM
bitmetv and supertorrents both don't allow bitcomet or it's variants.

Skiz
09-25-2006, 05:41 AM
where? name me more than 3 and i'l give you an apology lol.

bitmetv and supertorrents both don't allow bitcomet or it's variants.

...as well as

STMusic
Indie Torrents
The Traders Den
The Mixing Bowl
UK Nova
Midnight Torrents
Torrentit
etc., etc., etc....

Apology accepted. ;)

Pr1nc3
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
If any still might have doubt to what to use:
http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/peersharing/f/torrentclients.htm

j0hn
09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
thats because its an aggressive, lame, cheating client.

actually i think you'l find its ok to use bitcomet just about everywhere now :whistling
on easy to sign upto sites, maybe. decent sites still have it banned.
name 3 sites? sct, oink, bitme, bitmetv.

# BitComet - very very popular client but EVERY version reports bad stats to the tracker and many leak to DHT.
bitcomet forces dht to enable if trackers dont respond, even if the tracker tells it that its private(might be fixed in newer versions, but who cares).
it favours other bitcomet clients, and will always upload to them 1st over other clients. hardly in the spirit of what torrents were made for. this also harms swarms, alot.
reports bad stats to the tracker.
often downloads alot more than the files original size. apparently not due to failed hash-checks. the author doesnt know why actually.

theres more reasons why its banned in alot of places, i cant think of them right now.