PDA

View Full Version : How to "disguise" torrent downloading?

exo_body
09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi, im currently at college and i have access to the internet in my room, however you are not allowed to download illegally or anything like that. i was wondering is there anyway to "disguise" what im downloading or anything like that? All help is appreciated!

zak2210
09-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Use a proxy thingy, I think Hide IP is the program.
And a firewall that supports P2P protection such as Kaspersky and one more thing that is said to protect you from the big guys..Peerguardian 2

Download those and you should be safe :D

waterloo
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Hide IP only works for browsing...U can try enabling encryption in utorrent (set it to forced). I think he's concerned abt the college authorities detecting p2p traffic, not the MPAA or RIAA...so Peerguardian is useless too.

exo_body
09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
yeah, its the college im worried about. its a good college and their network seems to be set up pretty well and im just worried, i dont want to download anything unless im totally sure they wont find out what it is

Pr1nc3
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
You'll not be able to hide what you d/l. They have the tools to monitor whatever you do. My advice: don't go into it, as it's guarenteed you'll get caught.

99dimes
09-26-2006, 11:29 PM
its not a guarenteed caught
I did it for a year at my college, but they could detect it easally if they knew the kind of packets torrent files send out

4play
09-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I did it for a year at my college, but they could detect it easally if they knew the kind of packets torrent files send out

They dont even need to look at packets being sent and recieved. Its pretty obvious what your up to by looking at the amount you download and upload. If you download 30 gigs and upload 30 gigs a month it just screams file sharing. current connections is also a give away being connected to 30 ip addresses at once isnt very common when web browsing but upwards of that is for p2p.

Melvinmeow
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM

They dont even need to look at packets being sent and recieved. Its pretty obvious what your up to by looking at the amount you download and upload. If you download 30 gigs and upload 30 gigs a month it just screams file sharing. current connections is also a give away being connected to 30 ip addresses at once isnt very common when web browsing but upwards of that is for p2p.

Doesnt mean filesharing.... Theres lots of stuff you can do legally even transferring 200gigs a month. Some colleges allow you to host your own domains off your pc there. He could easily be hosting a website that gets alot of traffic ;)

exo_body
09-27-2006, 06:42 PM
lol,thanks for all your help btw!Im still unsure what to do. A guy suggested changing the port used in Utorrent to the standard one on msn and going on late at night when downloading, that way it wont be the normal torrent ports. does that make sense to anyone?

Melvinmeow
09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
You can change it to any variety of ports. Utorrent even has the option to always start on a differant port as well. (Works good if your not using a router or firewall which blocks ports)

I would just set it on random port. Then turn the encryption on which several people have already mentioned.

sun_star
09-28-2006, 11:34 AM
I can't tell you for sure but i think if you use encryption and set the port to 80 or msn port and doing it at night they wouldn't detect u that fast (it depends how paranoid the network administrator is).
If they can't access your computer without your permission they can suspect (or even know) that your using p2p but they can't PROVE its illegal stuff... However there is always a risk.

Another suggestion is to download through a computer that is in computer room (if its possible) and then sending it to your computer by internal LAN.. today utorrent even allow remoet control so u don't even have to go to the computer room physically.

exo_body
09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
yeah, but to use the computers you have to log on using your ID, so they know who is using the computer to download :(

sun_star
09-28-2006, 02:29 PM
man that sucks... There is no 0 risk method.. i suggest you ask your friends/neighbours coz depends on how strict the network admin is.. coz even if they can't monitor what u download they can ask u when they see the bw u use (and then again this might not be the case).
To be on the safe side i would do encryption etc... use port like msn/http and i wouldn't download much

exo_body
09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
yeah, im slowly going insane without my weekly fix of tv epsiodes,movies and games. Thanks for your help btw. Im gonna try and see if anyone else in the halls has found a full proof way of avoiding getting caught, cause i really dont wanna get kicked out

sun_star
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
You should ask around has anybody been caught b4... etc.. coz al uni's has a 'strict internet policy' but might not force it.