PDA

View Full Version : where do smells go?

tesco
09-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Where do smells go?

Lets say a skunk sprays and it gets stinky for a bit. Then the smellll goes away. Where did the smell go?
Are all smells trapped some place? Do they all exist but are masked by smells other things put off?
Does smell rise like hot air?:huh:

Biggles
09-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Where do smells go?

Lets say a skunk sprays and it gets stinky for a bit. Then the smellll goes away. Where did the smell go?
Are all smells trapped some place? Do they all exist but are masked by smells other things put off?

Is anything actually taught in science in schools anymore?

Lilmiss
09-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I like the smell of skunk. :happy:

tesco
09-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Where do smells go?

Is anything actually taught in science in schools anymore?
Ya, the atomic weight of helium is...oh wait i forgot that because it was useless.:dry:

BrolyBoo
09-26-2006, 11:44 PM

You sick freaK!!!!!!!!!

smell floats in to the air i think, thats how farts go away :D

tesco
09-26-2006, 11:45 PM

You sick freaK!!!!!!!!!

but where do they go?
If they just drift off then you'd think they'd have accumulated over the years.:huh:
Is the world smellier now than it was 10 years ago? :sly:

BrolyBoo
09-26-2006, 11:47 PM
You sick freaK!!!!!!!!!

but where do they go?
If they just drift off then you'd think they'd have accumulated over the years.:huh:
Is the world smellier now than it was 1B.C years ago? :sly:

thats a better question, Foo

tesco
09-26-2006, 11:49 PM
1 before christ years ago. :blink:

Lets just say 2007 years ago :idunno:

peat moss
09-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Heat rises so farts go up in to the stratosphere . Reminds me of a Ren and Stimpy episode , where Ren is looking for his fart . Calling "Oh Stinky " where are you ?

Busyman™
09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Where do smells go?

I imagine the active agent in the chemical in skunk spray emitting the smell dies off thus cutting off the smell.

peat moss
09-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Where do smells go?

I imagine the active agent in the chemical in skunk spray emitting the smell dies off thus cutting off the smell.

Try getting you or your pet sprayed by a skunk , then say that . :D

Busyman™
09-27-2006, 12:18 AM

Try getting you or your pet sprayed by a skunk , then say that . :D

Hey I guess it's a really active agent....the 007 of smells and whatnot.

Tempestv
09-27-2006, 01:56 AM
the skunk sprays a particular chemical that causes the stink. the chemical floating in the air eventually dissipates and disperses to such a low concentration that you can no longer smell it. eventually, it breaks down and stops smelling all together. if you get some of the chemical on you, that's a whole lot worse- not only is it not going to disperse because it is stuck to you, water doesn't do a good job of taking it off. in fact it will make it worse. eventually, the skunk chemicals will break down and stop smelling. however, if it gets wet, it reactivates and starts stinking again. evil evil stuff.

Seedler
09-27-2006, 03:25 AM
The smell, which is most likely some nitrogen compound, becomes a gas due to sublimation I think. Haven't taken enough chemistry yet:pinch:

elitistpig
09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
:lol: sublimation. Sublimation is change in phase from solid to gas.

There are several reasons smells go away, the most notable being the Second Law of Thermodynamics (all things in the universe tend to disorder). The smell dissipates because the individual molecules "want" to get away from each other. The force from the wind definitely helps as well. Also, the reason we don't smell it forever is because the sensory nerves are transient--so you don't smell that fart 3 weeks later and have trouble smelling other things.

Also, molecules don't simply "break down." They may form new compounds with other molecules if the First Law of Thermodynamics (energy is conserved) allows it (i.e. they will react exothermically and come to a lower Energy state). The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.

j2k4
09-27-2006, 10:00 PM

There are several reasons smells go away, the most notable being the Second Law of Thermodynamics (all things in the universe tend to disorder). The smell dissipates because the individual molecules "want" to get away from each other. The force from the wind definitely helps as well. Also, the reason we don't smell it forever is because the sensory nerves are transient--so you don't smell that fart 3 weeks later and have trouble smelling other things.

Also, molecules don't simply "break down." They may form new compounds with other molecules if the First Law of Thermodynamics (energy is conserved) allows it (i.e. they will react exothermically and come to a lower Energy state). The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.

We've reviewed your application and you're hired. :)

Wages are non-existent and non-negotiable.

Your probationary period ends in 60 days-you're to work the 2300-0700 (GMT) shift.

Change your profile to Forum Chemist immediately.

Did you really work for Saddam? :blink:

CrabGirl
09-27-2006, 10:20 PM
The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.

Doesn't the etc negate the only in that sentence.

What do enzymes do then?

j2k4
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
The only way to "break down" a molecule is to photolyze it with high-energy photons or bombard it with neutrons etc.

What do enzymes do then?

My, you are a quality burd. :)

Busyman™
09-27-2006, 11:34 PM

You da man. :yes:

DanB
09-27-2006, 11:55 PM

Me too :cry:

Smith
09-28-2006, 02:04 AM
I didnt read the above post, but I think it has something to do with the life of the chemicals in skunk spray. After a certain time the chemicals degrate and turn back into the natural elements.

Seedler
09-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Smith chnage your :ghey: avatar, it's starting to smell.:yup:

limesqueezer
09-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Well you probably ain't serious.
The question should be more like why should a bad smell be any different than a good one. Flys love stinky smell, for them it is a good smell, they get high with it, similar like dogs. Big cities all have terrible smell but you don't even notice it, cause you live in shit, similar like fly, good becomes bad. The smell goes inside of you and becomes part of you. HAHA
But like mr. Smith said, its the same with all elements, not even the air you breathe stays the same when you breathe out.

elitistpig
09-28-2006, 07:30 AM

What do enzymes do then?

Enzymes are proteins. They catalyze reactions by lowering their activation energy (most of these reactions would only occur at higher temperatures and/or pressures without having a catalyst--of course then we get into the differences between thermodynamics and kinetics). As far as the "only"/"etc," I was making the foolish assumption that people would understand that "photolyzing with high-energy electrons or bombarding with neutrons" means that we are putting a lot of energy into a closed system--meaning that any way of greatly increasing the energy (e.g. heating/increasing pressure) would break the molecule down. I didn't want to have to type this much :P

As for "forum chemist," j24k, I'm honored, although it may take away time from my other project, the non-existent *cough* Iranian nuclear weapons program *cough*. :lol:

Gripper
09-28-2006, 08:14 AM
I think smells congregate in boy's rooms aged between 10 -16 years old.

CrabGirl
09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
As far as the "only"/"etc," I was making the foolish assumption that people would understand that "photolyzing with high-energy electrons or bombarding with neutrons" means that we are putting a lot of energy into a closed system--meaning that any way of greatly increasing the energy (e.g. heating/increasing pressure) would break the molecule down. I didn't want to have to type this much.

So sorry for wasting your energy and finger skin.

Do you think it is fair to assume that your readers would understand what you meant when you used scientific terminology without further explanation?

manker
09-28-2006, 09:00 AM
As far as the "only"/"etc," I was making the foolish assumption that people would understand that "photolyzing with high-energy electrons or bombarding with neutrons" means that we are putting a lot of energy into a closed system--meaning that any way of greatly increasing the energy (e.g. heating/increasing pressure) would break the molecule down. I didn't want to have to type this much.

Do you think it is fair to assume that your readers would understand what you meant when you used scientific terminology without further explanation?
Yeah it's fair, fuck 'em.

To draw a parallel, I use irony when addressing Americans on a fairly frequent basis.

CrabGirl
09-28-2006, 09:20 AM

To draw a parallel, I use irony when addressing Americans on a fairly frequent basis.

I don't think it is fair that Scientists at times treat science a bit like an-in joke, speaking in code and excluding the lay-person, often looking down on them for their lack of understanding. If they were a bit more thoughtful, or less snobbish, and explained things in a more accessible way, it would make science more interesting and acceptible to the populus.
This also occurs between different factions of science, biologists versus chemists for example. As for psychologists....:noes:

manker
09-28-2006, 09:29 AM

I don't think it is fair that Scientists at times treat science a bit like an-in joke, speaking in code and excluding the lay-person, often looking down on them for their lack of understanding. If they were a bit more thoughtful, or less snobbish, and explained things in a more accessible way, it would make science more interesting and acceptible to the populus.
This also occurs between different factions of science, biologists versus chemists for example. As for psychologists....:noes:
I see your point but to agree with it would be hypocritical.

In-jokes are the building blocks on which forums and societies are based. I like them, even if I'm not in on them (the latter may be a lie). Making science more amenable to people surely has its place but I don't think that place is here.

Ken.

CrabGirl
09-28-2006, 09:38 AM
I see your point but to agree with it would be hypocritical.

In-jokes are the building blocks on which forums and societies are based. I like them, even if I'm not in on them (the latter may be a lie). Making science more amenable to people surely has its place but I don't think that place is here.

Ken.

Yes it does when the terminology being used to make a point prevents understanding.

Barbie.

clocker
09-28-2006, 10:14 AM

And we appreciate the effort, wasted as it may be.

Skipper.

manker
09-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Skipper.Hold that thought there, kiddo! Members of the North American originated post-modern Bahi faith believe that if an American lives a good, wholesome life, he or she will get reincarnated as a European.

Even if your own faith won't let you presuppose this, it's something to hold on to during the dark times.

CrabGirl
09-28-2006, 11:34 AM

Skipper.Hold that thought there, kiddo! Members of the North American originated post-modern Bahi faith believe that if an American lives a good, wholesome life, he or she will get reincarnated as a European.

Even if your own faith won't let you presuppose this, it's something to hold on to during the dark times.

:glag:

Busyman
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM

But that's just moving backwards...:ermm:

Proper Bo
09-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Hold that thought there, kiddo! Members of the North American originated post-modern Bahi faith believe that if an American lives a good, wholesome life, he or she will get reincarnated as a European.

But that's just moving backwards...:ermm:

Not for you it isn't:blink:

Cheese
09-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Actually being reincarnated as a European would be a bit of a lottery, you might end up being reborn in some third world country like Albania or Wales.

manker
09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Actually being reincarnated as a European would be a bit of a lottery, you might end up being reborn in some third world country like Albania or Wales.
The Bahi are not greedy folk.

Whichever way you look at it, a step up is a step up.

Snee
09-28-2006, 07:24 PM
The Bahi are not greedy folk.

Whichever way you look at it, a step up is a step up.

How does it work, tho'?

Do naughty Europeans have to go back to the US ( :dabs: ) or what?

Also, if you behave well enough, do you exit the cycle or go somewhere else entirely?
And are there tiers of European ascension, like Turkey->France->Germany->somewhere decent? :unsure:

elitistpig
09-30-2006, 12:22 AM

Yes, it's basic high school science knowledge. Everyone I know took chemistry, physics, and biology in high school. If you really wanted to learn then you wouldn't have tried to pick apart the language/grammar behind my explanation.

Busyman™
09-30-2006, 12:46 AM

....and you aren't "putting one over" on us when you do....well at least not some of us. I don't know about Skizo sometimes.:ermm:

Busyman™
09-30-2006, 12:50 AM

Yes, it's basic high school science knowledge. Everyone I know took chemistry, physics, and biology in high school. If you really wanted to learn then you wouldn't have tried to pick apart the language/grammar behind my explanation.

you = forum chemist
brats = grammar police

Everyone has their roles in loife on the forum. I didn't see what was so hard to understand about your posts.:unsure: It's not like you go outta your way to try and sound smart like uhhh.....j2k4.:smilie4:

Proper Bo
09-30-2006, 01:04 AM

you = forum chemist
brats = grammar police

Everyone has their roles in loife on the forum. I didn't see what was so hard to understand about your posts.:unsure: It's not like you go outta your way to try and sound smart like uhhh.....j2k4.:smilie4:

fixed.

Busyman™
09-30-2006, 01:19 AM
you = forum chemist
brats = grammar police

fixed.

Refixed.

You are not a brat. You are from Germany.

Proper Bo
09-30-2006, 01:31 AM
:nein2:

fkdup74
09-30-2006, 01:58 AM
..so you don't smell that fart 3 weeks later and have trouble smelling other things...

But...some farts will kill all sense of smell within seconds.
I seriously doubt that it's due to olfactory transience (sp?).
Some have even been known to hinder all the other 4 senses, as well. :ph34r:
And some can cause instant nausia, my brother's in particular. True story.
Never play the fart game with him.... :no:

CrabGirl
09-30-2006, 03:38 AM

For your information sweetpea, I have a masters degree in oceanography and an honours degree in biology. The point I was making was that through use of exessive terminology science is not made accessible to the general public. Riddling an explaination with shite that only a small percentage of your readership can understand is negating a full and just understanding of the subject.

j2k4
09-30-2006, 12:58 PM

For your information sweetpea, I have a masters degree in oceanography and an honours degree in biology. The point I was making was that through use of exessive terminology science is not made accessible to the general public. Riddling an explaination with shite that only a small percentage of your readership can understand is negating a full and just understanding of the subject.

If the author is accessible, so is the terminology.

Explanations are easily offered if clarity is lacking.

We all have computors, we are all curious, and no informational obstacle is impenetrable.

Are we to gad about here. swatting each other with fancy papers and sniffing rare air?

I hope not, 'cuz I'm out of fancy paper. :huh:

A better idea:

Let's go play in the traffic-I'll drive. :)

frazer
09-30-2006, 08:08 PM

http://www.nokout.ca/images/skunk.jpg

ok heres a skunk iv got the dog making sure he eats to make extra
nice

Seedler
10-01-2006, 01:19 PM
skunk for a pet:yup:

Barbarossa
10-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Smells get right up my nose :sick:

Does that help? :blink:

elitistpig
10-03-2006, 12:55 PM

Wow, I thought people with Masters could spell better. Should have gone for the PhD, huh? :lol:

Snee
10-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Must be the emotion.

MCHeshPants420
10-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Wow, I can't think of a decent response so I'll just pick on your spelling.

Fixed. :happy:

Proper Bo
10-03-2006, 02:39 PM

manker. :happy:

fixed. :happy:

elitistpig
10-04-2006, 01:16 AM

Or, I don't need to thinkn of a decent response, because I'm getting my B.Sc in Biochemistry and am going to med school next year and the dumbest American in my classes can understand what the product of the "superior" UK educational system cannot. I would think that an oceanographer with an "honours degree in biology" would have at least been required to take one or two physics class, although maybe they put it in the same category as the U.K. dental plan... (i.e. non-existent) :lol:

Seriously though, the vocabulary I used was not very technical at all. I was only ever fully explained everything in equations. You're lucky that I didn't just give you conservation of energy, ideal gas law equations, or the like. I'm not being paid to educate people and I really don't give a rat's ass if science is accessible to people or not. I'd rather that it isn't so that people have to work hard to learn it and have a deeper understanding than if they're shovelled s*** so they don't have to think. For instance, my wife took a biology class with a bunch of idiots who didn't understand what ATP was (which I'm sure CrabGirl can explain in wonderful, elementary detail) so the professor began calling it "pizza." The problem is, it's hard to explain how you can activate/deactivate pizza by phophorylation/dephosphorylation. Thus, they would have learned more if they didn't understand the concept fully in the first place; and instead of learning to call it "pizza," had learned to call it adenosine triphosphate.

There, I'm done my freely given education for the day. I helped someone out with some math today for 30 mins and they gave me $20 :lol:

Proper Bo
10-04-2006, 01:42 AM

Or, I don't need to thinkn of a decent response, because I'm getting my B.Sc in Biochemistry and am going to med school next year and the dumbest American in my classes can understand what the product of the "superior" UK educational system cannot. I would think that an oceanographer with an "honours degree in biology" would have at least been required to take one or two physics classes, although maybe they put it in the same category as the U.K. dental plan... (i.e. non-existent) :lol:

My word! Thank God you're not getting a B.Sc in English Language.
I've also left one or two mistakes should you wish to re-read and check for yourself;)

elitistpig
10-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Oh boy, the spelling police. You're wrong about the dash, by the way. My former Literature professor, who has a Masters and PhD, has corrected me before on using dashes in places of commas in instances like that. Maybe you Brits use dashes like you spell things incorrectly, such as "metre" instead of "meter," "colour," instead of "color," or "honour," instead of "honor." You can say English should be properly judged by Englishmen, but I say you're our bitch in everything else so you should listen to me in this as well. So I'm sorry if I make a few mistakes after 10hrs of classes, a full-time job, and research. I don't have time to sit by the computer all day, get my post count up, and spend hours editing like you. I'm too busy trying to do cancer research and contribute to the effort to find cures for cancer; and yes, that is plural, dumbass, and I'm not going to explain to you why. Do your homework.

Thank God Britain is our bitch and I'll be making 10x as much as you in a few years *yawn*. I used to wonder why the British follow us around whenever we decide to do something, like invade Iraq. It's not because you care as much as we do about the price of "petrol" (gas for those of us who speak English properly, or C8H18 to us chemists). It's because you guys are trying to live back in your glory days when you were actually an important country, rather than the has-beens you have become.

Oh, and two can play at the spelling game. I'm sure there are many more examples in your nearly 16,000 posts, but your sig shows it well enough.
"wouldn't be a strop you'd be facing if you knocked me out and bum-raped me, it'd be a hella tantrum

Right back at you, buddy.

I didn't check all your other posts to see if you've made so many mistakes there as well, since I have a life, unlike you.

EDIT: I was just thinking, maybe Crab answered this already, but how does one get a biology degree in England without knowing what an enzyme is? I'm sure she has said or did say she knew what it was but you'd think that someone with an "honours" (honors) degree in biology would be able to ask me a more difficult question to try and stump me. Oh well, I guess the much-lauded British educational system isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.

Proper Bo
10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Oh boy, the spelling police. You're wrong about the dash, by the way. My former Literature professor, who has a Masters and PhD, has corrected me before on using dashes in places of commas in instances like that. Maybe you Brits use dashes like you spell things incorrectly, such as "metre" instead of "meter," "colour," instead of "color," or "honour," instead of "honor." You can say English should be properly judged by Englishmen, but I say you're our bitch in everything else so you should listen to me in this as well. So I'm sorry if I make a few mistakes after 10hrs of classes, a full-time job, and research. I don't have time to sit by the computer all day, get my post count up, and spend hours editing like you. I'm too busy trying to do cancer research and contribute to the effort to find cures for cancer; and yes, that is plural, dumbass, and I'm not going to explain to you why. Do your homework.

Thank God Britain is our bitch and I'll be making 10x as much as you in a few years *yawn*. I used to wonder why the British follow us around whenever we decide to do something, like invade Iraq. It's not because you care as much as we do about the price of "petrol" (gas for those of us who speak English properly, or C8H18 to us chemists). It's because you guys are trying to live back in your glory days when you were actually an important country, rather than the has-beens you have become.

Oh, and two can play at the spelling game. I'm sure there are many more examples in your nearly 16,000 posts, but your sig shows it well enough.

I didn't check all your other posts to see if you've made so many mistakes there as well, since I have a life, unlike you.

EDIT: I was just thinking, maybe Crab answered this already, but how does one get a biology degree in England without knowing what an enzyme is? I'm sure she has said or did say she knew what it was but you'd think that someone with an "honours" (honors) degree in biology would be able to ask me a more difficult question to try and stump me. Oh well, I guess the much-lauded British educational system isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.

Are you also trying to gain a B.Sc in talking pish?

manker
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
lol, you've got nearly 16000 posts. Get some sun and get laid, wanker.

Barbarossa
10-04-2006, 09:03 AM
There, I'm done my freely given education for the day. I helped someone out with some math today for 30 mins and they gave me $20 :lol:

75 cents per minute, eh! :O

manker
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM

EDIT: I was just thinking, maybe Crab answered this already, but how does one get a biology degree in England without knowing what an enzyme is? I'm sure she has said or did say she knew what it was but you'd think that someone with an "honours" (honors) degree in biology would be able to ask me a more difficult question to try and stump me. Oh well, I guess the much-lauded British educational system isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.That's quite the inferiority complex you've got there. It appears to be manifesting itself such that you bring up your deep jealousy of the British Isles in the most unrelated of circumstance.

I won't, however, let that detract from the supreme sacrifice you made when taking the decision - after your day which included 10 hours of classes, a full time job and endeavouring to save humanity from cancer - to regale us with word-bricks.

You, sir, are a credit to your country.

MCHeshPants420
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM

I think you missed the point of Crabgirl's question, as indeed you have missed the point of most of her posts. Though whatever she has said seems to have gotten under your skin, hence the word-bricks and attacks on her whole nation.

What are you going to do if she replies again? Insult her family, her sex, her skin colour (color)?

MCHeshPants420
10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Anyhow, science degrees are for losers. All the cool kids do Arts degrees.