PDA

View Full Version : Punk Me Out

squishyboboball
05-08-2003, 09:52 AM
I want to get into punk music, but I don't know where to start. I'll tell you what I like, then maybe you could point me towards bands?

I like INTELLIGENT, political, angry music. I don't want a testosterone laden mass marketing ploy with no substance. I don't want your Avril Levigne wannabe crap, I want the real deal.

I don't care if its old or new, but it has to have a brain behind it, and it must be bitingly political.

Rocktron
05-08-2003, 11:10 AM
How about Bad Brains... old band from the 80's
They play good Reggae as well!

The album i share is "God of Love" massive band. Very special!

porkshit
05-08-2003, 11:13 AM
try System os a down's Steal This ALbum! they are more hard rock tho. then you could try NOFX - the war on Errorism ( those are both albums)

Rocktron
05-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by porkshit@8 May 2003 - 12:13
try System os a down's Steal This ALbum! they are more hard rock tho. then you could try NOFX - the war on Errorism ( those are both albums)
System of a Down ROCKS!!!!
But it's not punk.. it's a bit progressive metal. I love them from the first album they made!
And nobody had ever heard of them then.

But shurely he knows this band allready don't you think?

porkshit
05-08-2003, 11:23 AM
he HAS to :D :D If not you're missing out big time bro :D :D

Bender
05-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron@8 May 2003 - 13:10
How about Bad Brains... old band from the 80's
They play good Reggae as well!

The album i share is "God of Love" massive band. Very special!
BAD BRAINS, yeah!!! :w00t:
That were those guys looking like Reggae men, smoking joints and then playing terrible loud Punk/Hardcore, right?
I loved them so much. :wub:

@ Squishy: From what I hear you should download the complete first album of the Sex Pistols: Never mind the bollocks - very angry and political, and funny.
It's from 1977 and will teach :rolleyes: you the basics of Punk.
By the way: Avril Levigne isn't punk at all, she's just an "evil" Britney Spears.

porkshit
05-08-2003, 11:30 AM
you couls also trry Goldfinger, thought they are not very political, they are still real good punk. my favourite band

Rocktron
05-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Check out this thread... click me, click me! (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=32199&hl=)

kooky_kramer
05-08-2003, 01:17 PM
not so much punk, but as far as political goes you cant go past rage against the machine (i know they are split up, and the band is now the band for audioslave -- sellout bastards).

they are about as political as they come check the song 'testify' which was written about the fist gulf war and fits this latest conflict as well.

as mentioned above system of a downs new album especially the song 'boom'. In australia the film clip shows them marching in a protest against the war with real people and stuff, actually acting on what their singing about. respect. the film clip might be different in other countries though, i dunno.

jetje
05-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Never mind the bollocks - sex pistols,
Lust for life - iggy pop and some old strangler songs are a good start... :)

And for the real start just put a safety pin through your cheeks.... Bang your head to the wall, tear your clothes apart and party...... :lol:

echidna
05-08-2003, 02:12 PM
click search and type 'dead kennedys' into the box
http://www.deadkennedys.com/graphics/banner01/banner01_r3_c2.gif
then have a go at these;
P.I.L
siouxsie and the banshees
the hard ons
thrush and the cunts
black flag
mudhoney
the stooges
the saints
the clash
toe to toe
nomeansno
fugazi
janes addictions first album
LARD
lubricated goat
http://www.spunk.org/library/pubs/cw/images/sp001443.gif
industrial electric politics hear 'SNOG' & maybe 'black lung' 'n' ministry
http://www.infoshop.org/img4/class_war.gif

Bender
05-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by echidna@8 May 2003 - 16:12
3 words to go type into the search box
'dead kennedys'
thats political
All those old people in here :blink: ? Dead Kennedys, great stuff.

@ Jetje: Iggy Pop - hrmmm. :P

Benno
05-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by echidna@8 May 2003 - 16:12
'dead kennedys'
thats political
Maybe im missing the point but aint dead kennedys just two words :blink: :lol:

btw they are pretty good and political

echidna
05-08-2003, 02:47 PM
see the edit [i hit enter wanting a line break and prematurely submited the form] :o

echidna
05-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Bender+9 May 2003 - 00:22--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bender @ 9 May 2003 - 00:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--echidna@8 May 2003 - 16:12
&#39;dead kennedys&#39;
thats political
All those old people in here :blink: ? Dead Kennedys, great stuff.

@ Jetje: Iggy Pop - hrmmm. :P [/b][/quote]
i&#39;m not even three decades young G :angry:
nuevo punk eats corperate poo

Maybe im missing the point but aint dead kennedys just two words&nbsp;
^after the edit it became alot more than two or three^

Bender
05-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by echidna@8 May 2003 - 16:53
i&#39;m not even three decades young G :angry:
nuevo punk eats corperate poo
But you do sound old :lol: :lol: I feel like I know you, and I&#39;m **cough**37 years**cough**old. :huh:
I appreciate your good taste though. ;)

I agree on your nuovo punk standpoint ofcourse. :)

carbert
05-08-2003, 03:51 PM
stiff little fingers <-------&#62; political irish punk band

Evil Fish
05-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Man, I don&#39;t know what the hell is wrong with you people but I havn&#39;t seen one band on here that even remotely resembles what he asked for. He said Inteligent, Political stuff&#33; Dude, try Anti-Flag they are the most political of all punk bands and their lyrics are fucking brilliant. btw, that stiff little fingers thing was a good try but definately not political at all.

all you people that started saying stuff about Syndrome* of a down and shit like that, you&#39;re all fucking stupid thats not even close to being punk, political, or even good. Whats wrong with you guys, you&#39;re misleading him like crazy&#33; Dude if you wanna get into punk then come to me cuz the guyz around here obviously don&#39;t know shit about shit.

^^^^^ a bunch of angry rambling, the point is: Download Anti-Flag (http://www.anti-flag.com)

echidna
05-09-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Evil Fish@9 May 2003 - 11:20
Man, I don&#39;t know what the hell is wrong with you people but I havn&#39;t seen one band on here that even remotely resembles what he asked for. He said Inteligent, Political stuff&#33; . . . you&#39;re all fucking stupid thats not even close to being punk, political, or even good. Whats wrong with you guys, you&#39;re misleading him like crazy&#33; Dude if you wanna get into punk then come to me cuz the guyz around here obviously don&#39;t know shit about shit.

did you even read the list of artists i posted :blink:
if i don&#39;t know sh*t why am i wiping stinky Evil Fish of the sole of my shoe :angry:
you obviously have no idea who the people on that list represent & as such you&#39;d better look out in the pit little man :ph34r:
if i only knew how to bitch slap your pussy ass on a BB :lol: :lol: :lol:

i&#39;ll listen to anti-flag, but you should make it you business to educate yourself about punk :: and read indymedia (http://www.indymedia.org/) & Zmag (http://www.zmag.org/ZNET.htm) [for politics not for punk]
and either quote or be more specific when you dis sh*t &#39;cause apart from pissing me i have to defend the recomendations of Rocktron, Bender and jetje [although i&#39;d start with iggy pops &#39;i want to be a dog&#39; or &#39;dogfood&#39;]

BTW[i completely agree about system of a down [losers playing epic rock schmultz] boom is a toy song jumping on other peoples trains - i&#39;m vaguely impressed that they could actually make that video for US TV - but almost all of it is cut together from news stock footage - early cure are punker than them] :blink:

Jello Biafra said;
punk&#39;s not dead, just deserses to die, when it becomes another pale cartoon

Nora182
05-09-2003, 08:35 AM
NOFX has a lot of songs that are political. They have lots of strong opinions. Pennywise has some to. They are both good bands :)

killallhippies
05-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Stiff Little Fingers not political? ARE YOU MAD? "Tin soldier", "Alternative Ulster", the list goes on, nobody was ever more punk, musical or political, download "all the best" for starters, then when you&#39;re hooked carry on.

killallhippies
05-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Also The Clash. start with, "London Calling".

The Codfather
05-12-2003, 02:40 AM
:blink: can&#39;t believe nobody mentioned Bad Religion....

Evil Fish
05-12-2003, 02:46 AM
@Nora182
NOFX is a good suggestion. although I never really liked them they are punk and slightly political. However their lyrics aren&#39;t always the most intelligent :lol:

@killallhippies
I have to admit that stiff little fingers have some moderate political views so if you wanna use that to get into punk then go ahead but I don&#39;t recommend it considering they aren&#39;t exactly "revered" in the punk world although part of being a punk is breaking away from the views of others so do as you wish.

@echidna
What bands did you suggest? (cant be bothered to look back :P ) at the time of my post i don&#39;t remember reading any good suggestion other than the stiff little fingers one.

carbert
05-12-2003, 10:01 AM
i am most certainly not an expert on the subject, but out of the music i listen to, Stiff Little Fingers are the most political punk. The most outright political music i have is The Manic Street Preachers :o

thedrocks16
05-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Pennywise and Guttermouth. Guttermouth has a lot more stuff than what was played on the radio