PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Router

djweiser
09-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I have just setup security for my Linksys WRT54GSV4 router with firmware version 1.05.3

Question
1) Is WEP 128bits 26 hex digits encryption good enough?
2) How do i change the login username & password?.

3) If i enable wireless mac filter - how do i find out the IP address of my wireless laptop?

Best Regards

Chewie
09-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi,

I have just setup security for my Linksys WRT54GSV4 router with firmware version 1.05.3

Question
1) Is WEP 128bits 26 hex digits encryption good enough?
2) How do i change the login username & password?.

3) If i enable wireless mac filter - how do i find out the IP address of my wireless laptop?

Best Regards
I haven't had a Linksys router but the ones I've used seem to be very similar.

1) Good enough for what? Are you going to be connecting to the military?
2) That's normally the first thing that you would do; it's what's recommended and usually the page that you get taken to when you logon. Surely there's a link to it?
3) Turn off the MAC filter then check what devices are connected. Your laptop's MAC will appear in the list if it's connected.

Seedler
09-29-2006, 02:14 AM
I still don't use any encryptions, too lazy:P

Seedler
09-29-2006, 02:15 AM
and yes, even a 64bit encryption will keep those thieving neighbors from stealing your signal.

But even a 128bit or better encryption probably won't stop a dedicated hacker, and again what are the chances of that happening near your house.:no2:

lynx
09-29-2006, 08:25 PM
If you are really worried about stopping hackers, you should use TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) or AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), as key providers for WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) or WPA2, assuming your router supports them.

It's probably over the top for home use though.

manofstyle
10-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I still don't use any encryptions, too lazy:P

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

:nuke: