PDA

View Full Version : Protection...

zak2210
10-01-2006, 09:32 PM
I've just bought a wireless router and set everything up. I want to know whats the best way of protecting myself.

I am using Kaspersky Antivirus, Peerguardian and Windows Firewall.

My router is protected with a WEP key and thats about it.

I thought I'd post here because I weren't sure if I was safe enough as I'm wireless now, thinking other people might be able to see what I am doing (File sharing)

What would you think is best for wireless connections and the best way to stay safe?

Thanks for any input.

Virtualbody1234
10-01-2006, 11:31 PM
I recommend that you install a proper firewall and stop using Windows Firewall. Something that lets you control outbound traffic.

Zonealarm free version should do the trick.

suprafreak6
10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
why go for free? just get the pro, unless you dont feel right, bootlegging it...thats perfectly acceptable

zak2210
10-02-2006, 12:56 AM
why go for free? just get the pro, unless you dont feel right, bootlegging it...thats perfectly acceptable

Actually its definatly not acceptable! :D

Thanks you two

david02
10-02-2006, 03:34 AM
WEP is not the best security. It is possible to crack it so that people can use your internet connection with eg a laptop if I am correctly informed.

kazaa2002
10-02-2006, 07:36 PM
I've just bought a wireless router and set everything up. I want to know whats the best way of protecting myself.

I am using Kaspersky Antivirus, Peerguardian and Windows Firewall.

My router is protected with a WEP key and thats about it.

I thought I'd post here because I weren't sure if I was safe enough as I'm wireless now, thinking other people might be able to see what I am doing (File sharing)

What would you think is best for wireless connections and the best way to stay safe?

Thanks for any input.

i agree with vb
here are a few links that may help
Free Firewall & Security (http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm)

Software (http://www.firewallguide.com/freeware.htm)Freeware Files Windows Firewalls Free Software (http://www.hsinlin.com/software/firewalls.html)

Freeware BartWare Personal Firewall at DirFile - Internet & Networking > Intranets (http://www.dirfile.com/bartware_personal_firewall.htm)Freeware downloads (http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.html)

Security-Privacy - Personal Firewalls at SnapFiles.com (http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.html)

manofstyle
10-06-2006, 12:05 PM
WEP is not the best security. It is possible to crack it so that people can use your internet connection with eg a laptop if I am correctly informed.

Yes it is true WEP can be cracked, but the average neighborhood laptop user will probably not have the means or know-how to crack it. If you are paranoid about that, just log into your router periodically and check your DHCP for any bogies.

I know this is obvious, but many people forget it (including two of my neighbors :rolleyes: )- be sure to change the default password on your router.

manofstyle
10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh and I agree get Zone Alarm Pro or another proper firewall. Windows Firewall is a joke.

david02
10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I use windows firewall , it is not that bad. It doesn't monitor outbound traffic but I just have to watch out what I install on my computer and good virus software is more important than a good firewall
and don't forget to scan for spyware once in a while

david02
10-06-2006, 12:27 PM

Yes it is true WEP can be cracked, but the average neighborhood laptop user will probably not have the means or know-how to crack it. If you are paranoid about that, just log into your router periodically and check your DHCP for any bogies.

I know this is obvious, but many people forget it (including two of my neighbors :rolleyes: )- be sure to change the default password on your router.

tsk tsk tsk :)

manofstyle
10-06-2006, 12:29 PM
good virus software is more important than a good firewall

I suppose that is a matter of oppinion. I disagree. If you have a proper firewall you are protected from attacks that Anti-Virus would only detect AFTER you have been infected with known virii/trojans/spyware etc.

Barbarossa
10-06-2006, 12:31 PM
good virus software is more important than a good firewall

I suppose that is a matter of oppinion. I disagree. If you have a proper firewall you are protected from attacks that Anti-Virus would only detect AFTER you have been infected with known virii/trojans/spyware etc.

I agree with you :)

Virtualbody1234
10-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I use windows firewall , it is not that bad. It doesn't monitor outbound traffic but I just have to watch out what I install on my computer and good virus software is more important than a good firewall
and don't forget to scan for spyware once in a while

How do you know what software you can install and what not to install? I'll bet that you already have software that "phones home" and you don't know about it.

david02
10-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Mostly just by not installing unknown programs and if I do, only from trusted sites . I google for info about proggies before I install them . I never ever go to obscure 'crack 'n hack' websites .(Only those which are recommended by trusted people).

I allways scan my downloaded files.

I Installed xp antispy and turned most vulnerable features off+ I download all win xp updates and have a few spyware programs + virusscanner

It sounds like a lot of work just to not install a better firewall but I do not mind, I like my machine to boot up fast (I only have a amd 850 MHZ machine) and the internal firewall seems to do that job instead of another (better) firewall like zonealarm .

I know this isn't exactly 100% bulletproof, but everybody can get their computer messed up with when a new not yet detected virus or so hits the internet and other networks.

Virtualbody1234
10-06-2006, 08:17 PM
I guess you don't realize that many "legitimate" programs have outbound communications. I like to have a say as to if they are allowed or not.

david02
10-06-2006, 08:26 PM
ok ok , but does windows firewall not give you a message when a program wants to contact the internet the first time? I normally choose 'ask me later'

btw I agree that for some people a better firewall is adviced but I have had some problems with 'better' firewalls . they slowed down my system a lot and made some proggies not to work .

and If my spyware scans say there is no threat found I am happy and believe my system is safe

Virtualbody1234
10-06-2006, 08:40 PM
ok ok , but does windows firewall not give you a message when a program wants to contact the internet the first time? No it doesn't.

and If my spyware scans say there is no threat found I am happy and believe my system is safeAgain. You missed my point. I'm not talking about spyware. I'm talking about "phone home" behaviour of quite a lot of "legitimate" software.

david02
10-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I do not see any danger in that, as long as it does not behave like spyware

but if people want to be on top of everything that is fine by me but I hate all those popups other firewall walls give

david02
10-06-2006, 09:53 PM
btw http://www.spywareguide.com/ is a nice site

Virtualbody1234
10-06-2006, 10:20 PM
I do not see any danger in that, as long as it does not behave like spyware

but if people want to be on top of everything that is fine by me but I hate all those popups other firewall walls give

Try zonealarm. A popup asks the first time something tries to communicate. You decide how you want a rule to be set. Just select -> Remember this setting and it won't bother you again (no more popups).

david02
10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
I will give it a try :) I just hope it will not slow down my system , keep you posted

and by the way you are right, windows firewall only gives a message after a program has given a signal to a website and the websites returns the call, only then

otherwise windows firewall is able to monitor outboud traffic,and it doesn't... silly me

Virtualbody1234
10-06-2006, 10:41 PM
It shouldn't slow down your system much. I recently tried the "free version" on an 800 MHz PIII.

You can then disable Windows firewall. :)

manofstyle
10-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I have Zone Alarm Pro running on one computer, and Zone Alarm Security Suite Running on another comp. I can say that ZA Pro loads faster and uses less resources than ZA Security Suite. I have found that the Pro version's Anti Spyware is quite good, so I would reccomend it over the free version.

david02
10-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I installed Zone Alarm free because I only need the firewall option. It slows down my boot a bit, but I think I will keep it. Strange thing is that in the last 24 hours I allready got 840 intrusions attempts with one high rated. I think that is a lot.

btw only one installed program on my system wanted to connect to the internet which was Diskeeper pro

Hairbautt
10-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Here's just my little 2 cents (or one cent)...

I've got a wireless router, firewall enabled, installed a different firmware too (Hyperthread? Something like that...)

Anyways, on my laptop & desktop: All I keep on them is Outpost Firewall (which has a anti-spyware/email scan). No Antivirus or anything...No problem. Then again I'm not as click-happy as some people.

Point is: Outpost firewall is the best Firewall I've seen and I'm a fan of v4.0 (latest, some people complain about it...don't know why). Antivirus? It's a joke, I never need AV anymore.

manofstyle
10-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Hairbautt, you said you installed a different firmware... in what? your router? I would never install a third party firmware in a router... Just get the latest one from your router manufacturer.

And as for AV, you would not know you need it unless you have it. I use Avira AntiVir and it works great (plus it's free). It has picked up many trojans and virii that other programs like AVG and Nod32 missed.

IMHO, downloading a lot from any kind of p2p without AV is not wise.

Hairbautt
10-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Hairbautt, you said you installed a different firmware... in what? your router?Yes, in my router it was from here:

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

I know what you mean, 3rd party, but its great. I love it, let's me manage it more with more options & etc. but its mainly due because the original has a flaw in design.

IMHO, downloading a lot from any kind of p2p without AV is not wise.
Yea, I see what you're saying too. I'm pretty much all private trackers, so there's some trust there. And I do use the online free virus scans from Norton & McAfee, but they never turn up anything.

Outpost Anti-spy, pretty much just got some tracking cookies.

manofstyle
10-08-2006, 11:40 PM
I recently "fixed" my friend's computer. She complained it was running really slow. She had McAfee AV installed and it was fully updated but found no virii when she scanned with it. I installed Zone Alarm Pro and scanned for Spyway - 186 Spyware found and deleted, then Removed McAfee and installed Avira AntiVir - 84 Virii/trojans found! I decided she needed a clean windows install. The point is, not all AV are created equally.From my experience, I would say that TrendMicro, Norton, McAfee, Symantec, and AVG are all crap compared to Avira.