PDA

View Full Version : Can you stand console controllers...

Seedler
10-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Can you stand them awkward console controllers...

I can't.

Mouse and keyboard rules, when I went a friend's house to play halo, I got royally pwned because I was using a xbox controller, but when he came over for some CS action on my comps, lets just say my ratio was 50:1ish.:whistling:

Johnaloa
10-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I use them both really. I guess some games are better for console controllers and some for mouse and keyboard. E.g. I couldn't imagine playing Halo without a console controller. Maybe it's because I have always played Halo with a controller.

However, I couldn't stand playing RTS games on a console controller and that is why I am hoping that they bring Halo Wars to PC. I refuse to buy ANY RTS on consoles and also refuse to give in to this new phenomenon of having RTS games on freaking consoles.

Shiranai_Baka
10-02-2006, 03:01 AM
This poll is biased! We have to use keyboards and mouses to answer your damned poll! hahaha just kidding.

I prefer mouse and keyboard cause its got more control.

Formula1
10-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Mouse + Keyboard for FPS and RTS, Controller for everything else.. sorry but this poll is biased. I use both.

JordoR
10-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, keyboard and mouse are definately better for FPS type games. But console controllers are definately better for sports games, which is the majority of what I play.

SirGray
10-02-2006, 06:07 AM
I can use both infact I love the controller for anything rpg related or fighter or racing, the only time I enjoy mouse and keyboard is for fps, or rts

Skiz
10-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Depends.

I like mouse/keyboard for PC FPS games, but I still would rather play car games, GTA, etc on console.

S!X
10-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Yes, I think the PS controller is the best design wise. The xbox 360 controller isnt bad eaither.

MCHeshPants420
10-02-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a gamepad for football games and use mouse/keyboard for everything else.

Busyman
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Of course I like console controllers.

Mouse and keyboard are better for RTS and FPS games but that's not the majority of games I play.:ermm:

GTA, God Of War, racing, etc are better with console controllers.

GepperRankins
10-03-2006, 11:43 PM
mouse and keys for most games. try to use a pad whenever possible to i can put it on telly. good quality for TV is like 720x576 and unless you're bothered about overhead wires and go faster stripes anti-aliasing is unneccessery. so PC versions of games played on TV can be tweaked to look and run way better than the console versions.

trouble is san andreas is the only game i can find with auto-aim :dabs:

3RA1N1AC
10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
i can't use a keyboard to play games at all. mouse yes, keyboard no. i am not that bad at PC FPS games, but i can only play them with a console-style controller in one hand and mouse in the other. if the mouse has a lot of buttons, it works out alright for me. controller: d-pad for walking, trigger for jumping. mouse: everything else.

honestly i don't see how anyone could enjoy playing super mario bros or smash TV with a keyboard. or GTA or madden or lots of other games, for that matter.

so far my favorite controllers are the dreamcast & xbox controllers -- not surprising to me, as they're quite similar (xbox controller basically = dreamcast controller with one more stick). the analog triggers are wonderful for car racing games since i don't have any place to put a steering wheel and the triggers have a sorta similar feel (the lever-ing) to car pedals. playstation dual shock controller is alright, but i'd like it more if it had triggers. gamecube controller is okay too, but again not quite as good as the xbox controller.

worst console controllers i've ever used: sega master system (it's like a NES controller, but the d-pad & buttons just feel mushy) and N64 (it's hideous. just completely unpleasant to hold). oh and atari 2600 joystick: horrible, mushy, makes a yucky rubbery sound. i'd say nintendo power glove as well, but i've never used it.

i like the nintendo DS touchscreen, which makes some PC style games a bit more convenient to play than they've usually been on consoles. point 'n' click, no problem, DS can do it! in fact the touchscreen can potentially allow the player to point around different parts of the screen FASTER than a mouse could -- see trauma center for a good example of faster-than-a-mouse PC-style pointing.

i'm really looking forward to using the nintendo wii controller though i'm afraid the selection of games will prolly not be very good, considering how few really good games there were on N64 & gamecube. i would not be surprised if, in the next 5 years, the nintendo wii game-library ends up consisting of maybe a dozen really good exclusive games... and a whole ton of crappy/lazy renderware ports of 360/PS3 games.

defknight
10-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Cant stand playing games like nba or fifa on pc keyboard.That sux.I never download NBA Live or FIFA games on my pc,instead i get xbox versions and enjoy great gaming.However,FPS and other shooters,which i prefer most,are played on my pc.So in that way I use both keyb and controllers

GepperRankins
10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
i can't use a keyboard to play games at all. mouse yes, keyboard no. i am not that bad at PC FPS games, but i can only play them with a console-style controller in one hand and mouse in the other. if the mouse has a lot of buttons, it works out alright for me. controller: d-pad for walking, trigger for jumping. mouse: everything else.

honestly i don't see how anyone could enjoy playing super mario bros or smash TV with a keyboard. or GTA or madden or lots of other games, for that matter.

so far my favorite controllers are the dreamcast & xbox controllers -- not surprising to me, as they're quite similar (xbox controller basically = dreamcast controller with one more stick). the analog triggers are wonderful for car racing games since i don't have any place to put a steering wheel and the triggers have a sorta similar feel (the lever-ing) to car pedals. playstation dual shock controller is alright, but i'd like it more if it had triggers. gamecube controller is okay too, but again not quite as good as the xbox controller.

worst console controllers i've ever used: sega master system (it's like a NES controller, but the d-pad & buttons just feel mushy) and N64 (it's hideous. just completely unpleasant to hold). oh and atari 2600 joystick: horrible, mushy, makes a yucky rubbery sound. i'd say nintendo power glove as well, but i've never used it.

i like the nintendo DS touchscreen, which makes some PC style games a bit more convenient to play than they've usually been on consoles. point 'n' click, no problem, DS can do it! in fact the touchscreen can potentially allow the player to point around different parts of the screen FASTER than a mouse could -- see trauma center for a good example of faster-than-a-mouse PC-style pointing.

i'm really looking forward to using the nintendo wii controller though i'm afraid the selection of games will prolly not be very good, considering how few really good games there were on N64 & gamecube. i would not be surprised if, in the next 5 years, the nintendo wii game-library ends up consisting of maybe a dozen really good exclusive games... and a whole ton of crappy/lazy renderware ports of 360/PS3 games.
dreamcast control is like my favourite ever. the triggers seem a little more forgiving than the xbox and you get a cute little logo of the game you're playing *wub

peterjohno
10-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Ive lost the plot with them. I used to love them , but i now look like a gimp whilst trying to play with one . Gimme a mouse and keyboard any day

ram82082
10-16-2006, 10:16 PM
PS controller, best ever. I cant use a keyboard to play a game. Not that I want to though.

alex888
10-19-2006, 08:11 PM
woohoo...

grchl3
12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
For some games the console controller is fine. For others, FPS for sure, there is no matching the keyboard & mouse.