PDA

View Full Version : What's going on

vidcc
10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Children being killed in schools by nutters and school staff being killed by pupils.

I hardly ever think or worry about terrorist attacks, but more and more I do get concerned about my children's safety when in school. Could it be that the biggest danger to the safety of Americans is ourselves?

Perhaps not all gun owners are nutters, but certainly it seems all nutters own guns :(

JPaul
10-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I hardly ever think or worry about terrorist attacks, but more and more I do get concerned about my children's safety when in school. Could it be that the biggest danger to the safety of Americans is ourselves?

Absolutely correct. To allow most of your citizens access to firearms with minimal difficulty is something I find astonishing.

vidcc
10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Absolutely correct. To allow most of your citizens access to firearms with minimal difficulty is something I find astonishing.

I think that's a bit unfair. I mean it's not like we have 24 hour drive through window service at the gun stores (at least not in my town:unsure: )...... We have to actually get out of the car and go into the store ;)

bigboab
10-02-2006, 08:17 PM
If banning the possession of guns saved one life then it would be worthwhile. Sadly you would have Charlton Heston saying that the worst school killings were in countries where gun possession is restricted, Scotland and Germany.
Maybe banning hunting would help to reduce possession of firearms.

Mr JP Fugley
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM

I think that's a bit unfair. I mean it's not like we have 24 hour drive through window service at the gun stores (at least not in my town:unsure: )...... We have to actually get out of the car and go into the store ;)

:lol:

Or open a bank account, get a free rifle, apparently. I'm given to understand it's compulsory in some States.

Busyman™
10-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Sadly you would have Charlton Heston saying that the worst school killings were in countries where gun possession is restricted, Scotland and Germany.

Is that true?:huh:

Snee
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Sadly you would have Charlton Heston saying that the worst school killings were in countries where gun possession is restricted, Scotland and Germany.

_:blink:_ (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1953425.stm)

Only looking at the number of people killed at each incident, it looks that way with the ones listed here. Whether those are the only notable ones during the period, or whether they really are the worst, I dunno'.

Doesn't really say a thing about the total number of people killed in schools and all that.

And Bob is prolly right, it's just the sort of thing the NRA would use.

EDit:It's a fucked up world. (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html)

Tempestv
10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Maybe banning hunting would help to reduce possession of firearms.

um for one, the forest service counts on hunters to help manage wildlife populations, so we would be in a shit ton of trouble with deer and elk populations if hunting was banned. for two, it's doubtful that it would make much difference crime wise. over in england they banned most guns and last I heard, thieves were stealing guns from the military to make sure that there were plenty still out there.

I gotta ask if someone is willing to commit murder, why would it bother them to buy an illegal firearm?

Busyman™
10-03-2006, 12:20 AM

Only looking at the number of people killed at each incident, it looks that way with the ones listed here. Whether those are the only notable ones during the period, or whether they really are the worst, I dunno'.

Doesn't really say a thing about the total number of people killed in schools and all that.

Damnnnn! These are fucking massacres

Scotland -16 children and one teacher killed at Dunblane Primary School by Thomas Hamilton, who then killed himself. 10 others wounded in attack. Tally: 18 dead, 10 wounded

Germany -13 teachers, two students, and one policeman killed, ten wounded by Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school. Steinhaeuser then killed himself. Tally: 17 dead, 10 wounded

:O

It seems that over there there are less incidents though. However, Scotland and Germany are dwarfed by America.

I still wouldn't ban guns but make it harder to get....legally. If you want one illegally, it's still easy. Also since the bannage of guns across the water, knife deaths have risen sharply.

Oh but that's right, aren't sharp knives about to be banned?:blink:

Next up: big sticks and harsh language.

MCHeshPants420
10-03-2006, 01:34 AM
knife deaths have risen sharply. (HA!)

Oh but that's right, aren't sharp knives about to be banned?

Sharp knives should be banned, I don't see the point in them to be honest.

No. Next up: bad punning.

limesqueezer
10-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Nov. 8, 2005: Assistant principal Ken Bruce was killed and two other administrators seriously wounded when Kenny Bartley, a 15-year-old student, opened fire in a Jacksboro, Tennessee high school.

Mar 21, 2005: Jeff Weise, 16, shot to death his grandfather and his grandfather's girlfriend and then went to his high school in Red Lake, Minnesota, where he killed a security guard, a teacher, and five students, and wounded seven others, before killing himself.

Nov. 24, 2004: James Lewerke, a 15-year-old student at Valparaiso High School in northern Indiana, pulled two large knives out of his pants and stabbed seven of his classmates. None of the injuries was life-threatening.

May 7, 2004: Four teenagers leaving a charity basketball game at their Randallstown, Maryland, high school were wounded, one critically, in a drive-by shooting. Among the suspects was a 17-year-old student at the school who had been involved in an earlier incident over a girl.

Apr. 3, 2004: A shot was fired from a passing car through the glass front door of the Accelerated Learnin and Transition Academy in Houston. About 200 students were in the school at the time but no one was injured.

Feb. 11, 2004: Ten-year-old Faheem Thomas-Childs was shot in the face outside T.M. Peirce Elementary School in Philadelphia. He died six days after the shooting. He was caught in a shootout between two rival gangs. The gun battle unleashed nearly 100 shots in the area as children were arriving at the school. A school crossing guard was also injured. Two men were arrested for the shooting.

Feb. 2, 2004: 17-year-old James Richardson was shot to death in Ballou Senior High School in Washington D.C. during second period. The shooting resulted from a confrontation with another student who was arrested.

Jan. 13, 2004: Following an argument, a 19-year-old entered Northern High School in Detroit and shot Aaron Wilson, 18, six times in the leg. Neither teen was a student at the school.

Nov. 14, 2003: A 15-year-old student accidently fired a handgun outside the East Mecklenburg High School (North Carolina) cafeteria injuring two students.

Oct. 30, 2003: 16-year-old Devin Fowlkes was shot to death in front of Anacostia Senior High School in Washington D.C. as he left a homecoming dance along with a crowd of students. Another student was slightly injured. A 15-year-old, who said he was aiming at someone else, was arrested and charged with murder.

Sept. 26, 2003: A 13-year-old boy fired a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun into the ceiling of a Cleveland County, North Carolina, middle school. He also fired one shot into the closed door of a classroom filled with students. No one was injured.

Sept. 24, 2003: Aaron Rollins, 17, was killed and Seth Bartell, 14, was critically wounded when 15-year-old John Jason McLaughlin walked out of a locker room at Rocori High School in Cold Spring, Minn., and shot them with a .22-caliber gun he had in his gym bag. Bartell died Oct. 10.

Apr. 14, 2003: Gunmen armed with an AK-47 rifle and a handgun opened fire in the packed gymnasium of John McDonogh Senior High School in New Orleans. Jonathan Williams, 15, was killed and three girls were wounded in a spray of bullets. It was thought to be a revenge killing for an earlier murder. A loaded handgun was found on the victim. Four suspects were arrested.
More than 10000 people are killed every year by guns in america. It doesn't seem to me that guns are for protection. Guns cost money.

j2k4
10-03-2006, 02:37 AM
More than 10000 people are killed every year by guns in america.

Excuse me, but that is a wildly inaccurate lie.

You Somalians, I swear. :dry:

Okay, it's not really a lie, it's just horribly inaccurate.

bigboab
10-03-2006, 08:35 AM
More than 10000 people are killed every year by guns in america.

Excuse me, but that is a wildly inaccurate lie.

You Somalians, I swear. :dry:

Okay, it's not really a lie, it's just horribly inaccurate.

Sadly it is inacurate on the low side.:(

The other main drive of the film is why does America have such a high gun murder rate. For example the UK has a gun death rate of 68 per year, most european countries have similar levels, Americas gun death rate is 11127. So why is it so high. Various factors are examined, violent films, music, decline of family values and all of these are dismissed as being things that are common to all modern countrys. Japan has more violent films, Germany has a more violent history, the UK has more broken homes, so what makes the USA so different.http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A3387503

This is moving away from the thread. If you add up all school deaths you would find that children are safer at school than anyplace else.

Snee
10-03-2006, 09:35 AM

Scotland -16 children and one teacher killed at Dunblane Primary School by Thomas Hamilton, who then killed himself. 10 others wounded in attack. Tally: 18 dead, 10 wounded

Germany -13 teachers, two students, and one policeman killed, ten wounded by Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school. Steinhaeuser then killed himself. Tally: 17 dead, 10 wounded

It seems that over there there are less incidents though. However, Scotland and Germany are dwarfed by America.

I still wouldn't ban guns but make it harder to get....legally. If you want one illegally, it's still easy. Also since the bannage of guns across the water, knife deaths have risen sharply.

I'm thinking the reason they managed to kill so much people at those shootings is 'cos no one was ready for anything like it.

I'm not saying anyone was ready for Columbine either, but in the U.S. people, authorities and all, do seem more ready for that sort of thing :dabs:

TBH, I don't much care where these things happen anymore, they just make me depressed.

EDit: oh yeah, and Somalia, there's an ocean of tranquility if I ever saw one.

Busyman
10-03-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm thinking the reason they managed to kill so much people at those shootings is 'cos no one was ready for anything like it.

I'm not saying anyone was ready for Columbine either, but in the U.S. people, authorities and all, do seem more ready for that sort of thing :dabs:

TBH, I don't much care where these things happen anymore, they just make me depressed.

EDit: oh yeah, and Somalia, there's an ocean of tranquility if I ever saw one.

If you mean ready as in 'heard gunfire, someone approaches with gun so run' then yeah I guess we are more ready.:dabs:

Hell I thought I heard a gunshot at a stoplight so I ducked down into the passenger seat....long story short it turns out my car was hit by a stray bullet.....in my driver side door.:dry:

Tempestv
10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
wow- I just heard on the news that there was a school shooting at an Amish school. :blink:

Barbarossa
10-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Pigeons only just got to Montana, huh? :blink:

I'm guessing that's what motivated this thread :dabs:

Tempestv
10-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I didn't watch the news last night, so the first time I have seen heard or read any news was on the radio this morning. that and I only caught the tail end of it so I didn't know when it was.

always before, at least in the states, it was kids in the school that did the shooting. Now, this is the second school shooting in a week where some nutjob walks into a school he has no connection to and blows some people away. plus there was that one in canada that was the same thing not to long ago. In fact, near as I can see, according to the following list, pryor to these last two, there has only ever been one school shooting in the united states done by people that did not attend or recently leave the school, and that was a gang fight on school grounds in New Orleans, La.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

What changed?

Busyman™
10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
I didn't watch the news last night, so the first time I have seen heard or read any news was on the radio this morning. that and I only caught the tail end of it so I didn't know when it was.

always before, at least in the states, it was kids in the school that did the shooting. Now, this is the second school shooting in a week where some nutjob walks into a school he has no connection to and blows some people away. plus there was that one in canada that was the same thing not to long ago. In fact, near as I can see, according to the following list, pryor to these last two, there has only ever been one school shooting in the united states done by people that did not attend or recently leave the school, and that was a gang fight on school grounds in New Orleans, La.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

What changed?

People are going postal scholastical.

Biggles
10-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Not sure their is much connection between the handgun ban and knives. There never were many instances of fights involving handguns in the UK. In truth I didn't know anybody who had a hand gun before the ban came into force.

I don't think they are banning sharp knives :) unless they have invented self cutting food - merely the sale of bayonet type knives and controlling the sale of all knives to kids. Much of the stabbing activity appears to be teenagers.

Busyman™
10-06-2006, 12:05 AM

Not sure their is much connection between the handgun ban and knives. There never were many instances of fights involving handguns in the UK. In truth I didn't know anybody who had a hand gun before the ban came into force.

I don't think they are banning sharp knives :) unless they have invented self cutting food - merely the sale of bayonet type knives and controlling the sale of all knives to kids. Much of the stabbing activity appears to be teenagers.

I remember someone talking about suggestion that the stabby parts be done away with but keep the slicey parts.

Tempestv
10-06-2006, 12:18 AM
so I don't understand- what makes an 8" bayonet more deadly than an 8" kitchen knife? also, doesn't this impending law illegalize fantesy knifes as well that are compleatly useless?

JPaul
10-06-2006, 07:16 PM
so I don't understand- what makes an 8" bayonet more deadly than an 8" kitchen knife? also, doesn't this impending law illegalize fantesy knifes as well that are compleatly useless?

They are totally blunt when they are bought, but are they made of a material which can be sharpened.

Tempestv
10-06-2006, 10:24 PM

They are totally blunt when they are bought, but are they made of a material which can be sharpened.

do you mean the kitchen knife or the bayonet?

lynx
10-07-2006, 01:33 AM

do you mean the kitchen knife or the bayonet?Yes, he does.

Busyman™
10-07-2006, 01:57 AM
do you mean the kitchen knife or the bayonet?Yes, he does mean the kitchen knife.

Fixed

Barbarossa
10-09-2006, 09:54 AM
:whoosh: