PDA

View Full Version : How to stop AVG update balloon in Task Bar

digmen1
10-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi Guys

I'm on XP and use AVG anti-virus

The balloon that comes up every time I boot up XP that says my internal antivirus datatbase may be out of date pisses me off.

Is it part of AVG or the Windows Security Centre ?

And does anyone know the best way to disable it.

I like to get my AVG updates every 2 weeks or so when I am ready.

Regards

Digby
NZ

limesqueezer
10-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Its wierd that you can't change that in options, try to change from automatically upade to something else. Windows can be a pain in the ass with this SP2 but not when you have a anti-virus program. But you can always modify it in registry.

mr. nails
10-03-2006, 04:38 AM
why disable it? why not just update it?

digmen1
10-03-2006, 04:41 AM

Because it will just come up again in 2 weeks time ! - or the day after I do it update it !

regards

Digby

david02
10-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Can't you change it in the program? I use avg free btw

dubbelklik on AVG free icon, Goto Service/program settings and uncheck display notification balloon when component status changes

try it

or maybe even

dubbelklik on AVG free icon, Click on Internal Virus database and click on properties, check Ignore faulty condition of the component

I disabled all balloon tips with xp antispy, I don't get the warning and I am lazy so I did not try it out with my avg free

btw the warning is harmless ,has something to do with the AVG server time being different than your computer time

mr. nails
10-05-2006, 05:27 AM

Because it will just come up again in 2 weeks time ! - or the day after I do it update it !

regards

Digby
i don't understand... u don't want to update ur virus definitions? my avg updates all the time without me having to do anything. i never see popups or whatever about it wanting to update.

david02
10-05-2006, 05:20 PM
His virus def. are updated. It is a little 'bug' in avg. I remember I had the same problem with the balloon tip warning. Like I said it has something to do with the time being different on the AVG update server and your computer. The definintions are really updated. It is a bit silly of AVG don't you think? But everything is fine.

mr. nails
10-06-2006, 04:32 AM
oh, i completely missed that. good thing my lithium battery on my mb works or i'd have the wrong time too... lol.

killuminati96
10-07-2006, 11:56 PM
TweakUI can disable taskbar balloons

XceLi
10-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi Guys

I'm on XP and use AVG anti-virus

The balloon that comes up every time I boot up XP that says my internal antivirus datatbase may be out of date pisses me off.

Is it part of AVG or the Windows Security Centre ?

And does anyone know the best way to disable it.

I like to get my AVG updates every 2 weeks or so when I am ready.

Regards

Digby
NZ

It's my guess that something is checking it on startup, so what I recommend is running MSConfig and checking out your startup items. Go to Start > Run type in msconfig and hit Enter. Then click on the startup tab, and uncheck anything you don't want starting when your computer boots up.