PDA

View Full Version : Diy Ups

Gripper
10-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Found this little site in my travels,might have a go at this..DIY UPS (http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm) or not as I'm not that comfortable fooling with electrics,might be handy for some of you more technically minded people though. :D

lynx
10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Seems an expensive way of going about things.

The cheapest model in APC's Smart-UPS XL range will run a standard PC for at least an hour under normal use, total cost about £250. Add an extra battery back for another £210 and you get almost 4 times as long, far cheaper than buying separate chargers, inverters and batteries.

Obviously a high performance gaming PC under full load (cpu and graphics) won't last as long but the system will cope, something you can't say about home made stuff with any certainty.

tesco
10-05-2006, 11:01 PM

The cheapest model in APC's Smart-UPS XL range will run a standard PC for at least an hour under normal use, total cost about £250. Add an extra battery back for another £210 and you get almost 4 times as long, far cheaper than buying separate chargers, inverters and batteries.

Obviously a high performance gaming PC under full load (cpu and graphics) won't last as long but the system will cope, something you can't say about home made stuff with any certainty.The article was from 2001 when UPSes only lasted a few minutes (I didn't know they can last for hours these days...it almost seems worth it now).:P

Seedler
10-06-2006, 02:47 AM

Obviously a high performance gaming PC under full load (cpu and graphics) won't last as long but the system will cope, something you can't say about home made stuff with any certainty.The article was from 2001 when UPSes only lasted a few minutes (I didn't know they can last for hours these days...it almost seems worth it now).:P

True I remember my dad had one at his office and that only lasted 3-5min.

Gripper
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Opps didn't look at when the article was written,just liked the guys site,he really go's into stuff.

tesco
10-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Opps didn't look at when the article was written,just liked the guys site,he really go's into stuff.yup, i learned lots from it related an not related to UPSes :)